How to: Molding on a Floating Skin Install

Finishes, paints and coatings

How to: Molding on a Floating Skin Install

Postby MarcInBoise » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:59 pm

Okay the outer Luan is on, sealed and ready to be covered with aluminum.
I've rough-cut the aluminum, ready to route it down flush... doors have been done.

I've decided I'm going to float the aluminum instead of gluing. So is there anything applied under the edges of the aluminum like silicone to help keep water out, and is there anything that goes under the trim?

I've been reading/searching but haven't found an answer for this one.
I plan on putting screws in "wet"... install the screw, back it out, reinstall after putting sealant in the hole. Seems there has to be some kind of sealants under the molding itself.
MarcInBoise
Teardrop Advisor

Re: How to: Molding on a Floating Skin Install

Postby tony.latham » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:10 pm

MarcInBoise wrote:Okay the outer Luan is on, sealed and ready to be covered with aluminum.
I've rough-cut the aluminum, ready to route it down flush... doors have been done.

I've decided I'm going to float the aluminum instead of gluing. So is there anything applied under the edges of the aluminum like silicone to help keep water out, and is there anything that goes under the trim?

I plan on putting screws in "wet"... install the screw, back it out, reinstall after putting sealant in the hole. Seems there has to be some kind of sealants under the molding itself.

Marc: Nothing under the aluminum, but yes, absolutely a good sealant under the trim.

I install the trim without sealant, pull the screws, run a bead on the edge, and then reinstall it.

I've got a love/hate thing going with silicone but still use it. If you do, make sure you use GE Silicone II. The rest is corrosive. If you use the silicone clean it with acetone and then clean it four or five more times with acetone or it'll attract dust.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby H.A. » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:42 pm

Last edited by H.A. on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby MarcInBoise » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:18 pm

tony.latham wrote:
MarcInBoise wrote:Okay the outer Luan is on, sealed and ready to be covered with aluminum.

Marc: Nothing under the aluminum, but yes, absolutely a good sealant under the trim.

I install the trim without sealant, pull the screws, run a bead on the edge, and then reinstall it.

I've got a love/hate thing going with silicone but still use it. If you do, make sure you use GE Silicone II. The rest is corrosive. If you use the silicone clean it with acetone and then clean it four or five more times with acetone or it'll attract dust.

T

Once again Tony, I'm in your debt!
MarcInBoise
Teardrop Advisor

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:51 pm

Try OSI QUAD.
In my opinion a far superior sealant than any silicone.
Comes clear and other colors.
Any sealant that oozes out from the trim can be peeled off in a couple weeks. :thumbsup:
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Nobody » Fri May 01, 2015 9:04 am

halfdome, Danny wrote:Try OSI QUAD.
Any sealant that oozes out from the trim can be peeled off in a couple weeks. :thumbsup:

Danny, I value your expertise on most any construction advice. I 'googled' the OSI Quad & found different items from around $6 to over $70 for a 10oz tube :frightened: . Which one are you recommending? TIA...
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gunguy05 » Fri May 01, 2015 9:11 am

I used the grey version of this and it worked well. About 6 bucks at HD. http://m.homedepot.com/p/OSI-10-fl-oz-C ... /100173080
Brian

Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
Gunguy05
The 300 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri May 01, 2015 10:07 am

Nobody wrote:
halfdome, Danny wrote:Try OSI QUAD.

Danny, I value your expertise on most any construction advice. I 'googled' the OSI Quad & found different items from around $6 to over $70 for a 10oz tube :frightened: . Which one are you recommending? TIA...

The tubes in my link that cost around 6 bucks at Home Depot.
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Nobody » Sat May 02, 2015 8:49 am

Thanks Danny, I'll give it a shot. I'm doing some sealing/caulking on a 2001 Casita Fiberglass trailer :thumbsup: Thanks also to Brian (GunGuy05)
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dmdc411 » Sat May 02, 2015 12:07 pm

I too used OSI Quad. Hate silicone on anything outdoors. Quad just needs a good clean surface. It's messy, load it on so it squeezes out, let it set up, then clean up with a squeegee type tool by getting under it so you don't smear it. Then mineral spirits and a clean white rag. I went back after 2 weeks and did some more cleanup. It came right up with min spirits.
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby MarcInBoise » Mon May 04, 2015 3:17 pm

dmdc411 wrote:I too used OSI Quad. Hate silicone on anything outdoors. Quad just needs a good clean surface. It's messy, load it on so it squeezes out, let it set up, then clean up with a squeegee type tool by getting under it so you don't smear it. Then mineral spirits and a clean white rag. I went back after 2 weeks and did some more cleanup. It came right up with min spirits.

Clean white rag? What Teardrop builder has a CLEAN white rag? :shock:
MarcInBoise
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dales133 » Mon May 04, 2015 4:31 pm

Turpentine works well for removing polyurethane adhesive as does paint thinners but the former is a safer bet on most surfaces
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby skinnedknuckles » Wed May 20, 2015 6:45 am

I'm almost ready to skin my teardrop too :thumbsup: and I'm wondering how OSI Quad compares to Sikaflex ?
Paul
skinnedknuckles
Teardrop Master

Postby dales133 » Wed May 20, 2015 7:33 am

I'm only familiar with sikaflex and selleys armor flex but I'd highly recommend both.ive used several variants of sikaflex and it isn't cheap but I've used if for decades in construction without issue.the selleys is newer but comparable
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby BigRedHiker » Fri May 29, 2015 3:59 am

My Advise...No Silicone anywhere. It eventually fails and nothing sticks to dry silicone well including silcone. Therefore it needs to be completely removed before a different sealant is used . There lies the problem..it is very difficult to get rid of it one you have applied it. RVs need routine maintenance which includes caulk sealant replacement over time. Sealants such as Sikaflex 221 can be peeled away and re caulked easily even though they last a long time..that is why its a better choice.
Silkaflex also makes caulking which is a structural adhesive..for bonding materials like aluminum. It has a low modulus and high elongation.
That aluminum wants to move with temperature change and if the adhesives cant move with it, they will eventually break bond.
Thats my 2 cents worth.
BigRedHiker
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Skinning secrets