Where to buy white gasoline (Coleman Camp Fuel)?

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Where to buy white gasoline (Coleman Camp Fuel)?

Postby Hennesseystealth » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:15 pm

I have vintage coleman equipment (stove and lantern) and when I finish my TD this weekend, I want to load it up with my vintage gear. But, I can't find white gasoline for anything less than some crazy prices. The best I saw was about $20/gallon. Amazon is about twice that and actually saw someone advertising $97 for a 1 gallon can. When I was a kid, you could just go to any gas station that was near a camp ground and pump a gallon or two of white gasoline.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Hennesseystealth
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Where to buy white gasoline (Coleman Camp Fuel)?

Postby KCStudly » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:51 pm

Most hardware stores will have it. Try a place that has boy scout uniforms and supplies.

The prices are pretty high. Last I paid was about $14 a gallon. Good thing it keeps forever. You know, unless you burn it all up. :?
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:30 pm

If you have to Walmart usually has some. Many grocery stores around here has it. At least the smaller not nation wide ones for some reason. Ace Hardware usually has it. Cabela's has it but their cans must be made of gold.
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Hennesseystealth » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:42 pm

Wolffarmer wrote:If you have to Walmart usually has some. Many grocery stores around here has it. At least the smaller not nation wide ones for some reason. Ace Hardware usually has it. Cabela's has it but their cans must be made of gold.

I thought about Walmart and checked their web site. They have it but won't display the price online. I guess I will just have to drive over and take a look.
Hennesseystealth
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GerryS » Fri May 01, 2015 5:06 am

Need a quick shot? zippo lighter fluid is the same stuff, except the lighter fluid doesn't have the rust inhibitors. It's a lot more expensive, but when you need it...it works in a pinch.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Redneck Teepee » Fri May 01, 2015 9:30 am

Maybe you guys out there can educate me since all the lanterns I have are propane. I always heard or thought that regular unleaded gas was acceptable to use in place of the true white lantern gas? Maybe not. :?
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby Jim.Johnson » Fri May 01, 2015 9:37 am

Any place I've seen it is advertised as Colman fuel. It seems like most places that have camping gear stock it.
Jim.Johnson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Wolffarmer » Fri May 01, 2015 9:53 am

Redneck Teepee wrote:Maybe you guys out there can educate me since all the lanterns I have are propane. I always heard or thought that regular unleaded gas was acceptable to use in place of the true white lantern gas? Maybe not. :?

Yes you can burn regular unleaded gas ( RUG ) but if you are just starting out on Coleman gas pressure appliances ( GPA ) use Coleman fuel for a while. When using RUG you do not want to let if set in the fount for a long time. I have seen 25 year old Coleman fuel that was just fine. RUG needs to be cycled through or empty the device for storage. Also RUG will tend to plug up generators faster so you may not wish to use it on GPAs that have hard to get generators.

I have been burning RUG for a while now and not had major problems. The spilled stuff stinks a lot more than Coleman. I can't say if there is any noticeable odor difference when burned. Some people question being around the combustion by products. I consider it no worse than in heavy traffic. specially traffic jams.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri May 01, 2015 9:59 am

My remembrance of the Coleman MSDS sheet of some years back is that they listed Naphtha as the ingredient now all they have is a CAS number which is consistent with Naphtha and that is 100%! It is one of the intermediate products in refining. It is very clean burning and was at one point used for dry cleaning (may still be?). Automotive fuel has a limited life expectancy and because of the additional stuff added to it and will clog up with (varnish) small openings...
I have multifuel lanterns and stove that will take unleaded fuel which needs to be dumped, but have never used anything but Coleman fuel.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby coyote » Fri May 01, 2015 11:07 am

Bass Pro, some Walmarts here do, some don't. Depends on what they stock.
coyote
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Redneck Teepee » Fri May 01, 2015 4:07 pm

Wolffarmer wrote:
Redneck Teepee wrote:Maybe you guys out there can educate me since all the lanterns I have are propane. I always heard or thought that regular unleaded gas was acceptable to use in place of the true white lantern gas? Maybe not. :?

Yes you can burn regular unleaded gas ( RUG ) but if you are just starting out on Coleman gas pressure appliances ( GPA ) use Coleman fuel for a while. When using RUG you do not want to let if set in the fount for a long time. I have seen 25 year old Coleman fuel that was just fine. RUG needs to be cycled through or empty the device for storage. Also RUG will tend to plug up generators faster so you may not wish to use it on GPAs that have hard to get generators.

I have been burning RUG for a while now and not had major problems. The spilled stuff stinks a lot more than Coleman. I can't say if there is any noticeable odor difference when burned. Some people question being around the combustion by products. I consider it no worse than in heavy traffic. specially traffic jams.

Randy

Thanks Randy........now I know! :thumbsup:
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Fri May 01, 2015 4:36 pm

Oh, be careful of RUG with ethanol in it. Should not be used in founts that have a red coating inside. It will eventually soften and degrade it.
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Fri May 01, 2015 4:45 pm

Website with sources of gasoline with no ethanol.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby MtnDon » Fri May 01, 2015 4:52 pm

... that said I have read this..... "The problem is in the equipment generator. It sits in or near the flame/heat producer. Liquid fuel enters the bottom and is heated and vaporized creating pressure which forces the vapor through a jet and into the burning apparatus (ring burner or filament). The problem comes when the fuel contains dissolved solids which don't vaporize and remain in the generator gradually plugging it up. So alcohol wouldn't be a problem since it would vaporize. However, other additives that are added for octane rating would be the problem since they would plug the generator. If you can find gasohol that doesn't have the other additives it should be fine. "
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Cottage Hill Bill » Wed May 13, 2015 11:27 am

The additives in RUG also produce some fumes you really don't want to be breathing and definitely don't want in your food (if you're fueling a stove). I'm in northwest Florida and Walmart here sells Coleman fuel for $7.28/gallon. That's not enough price difference for me to run RUG in any of my GPAs. Coleman fuel is naptha, not gasoline (comes out a little different place in the distilling process) Coleman fuel has rust inhibitors and stabilizers, RUG doesn't. The ethanol in RUG can /will damage the seals in newer GPAs. Any of the Coleman lanterns that have a knob that says High --->Low (as opposed to the disc that says Turn 1/4 turn to light...) use a Schrader valve that has a rubber seal.

To me there are way more negatives to using RUG than can be offset by the difference in price . What used to be sold as "white gas" was gasoline without any additives. That gas would work in GPAs simply because it had no additives. I don't think true "white gas" has been available since the 1930's. It has however, lead to a lot of confusion about what you can burn today in your GPA. Coleman added to the confusion when they came out with their Duel Fuel line some years back.

I'm new to this forum, but have been collecting/rebuilding GPAs for about 40 years.
Cottage Hill Bill
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment