Solar Power System

Anything electric, AC or DC

Solar Power System

Postby Gunman9 » Sat May 02, 2015 7:36 am

I have a 100w solar panel system and am looking at getting 2 of the 6v Duracell deep cycle batteries from sams club. I have a 4 way switch panel and I am going to use to turn off the water pump, and a few other small things. What I'm wondering is I bought a Ground Bus Bar to ground those devices to. Can I simply just screw that into the plywood after it's been grounded to the solar pane controller? Do should I ground it to the battery? If I chose to run a window ac off this system and installed an inverter how long would the system last?
Gunman9
Teardrop Master

Re: Solar Power System

Postby GuitarPhotog » Mon May 04, 2015 12:39 am

If I chose to run a window ac off this system and installed an inverter how long would the system last?

Without knowing how much current your AC draws, no one can tell you. In general it's really difficult to run an AC off an inverter because the inverter bottoms out when the compressor starts, because it draws a lot of current.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon May 04, 2015 6:04 am

Unless you have a LOT of solar and a LOT of battery capacity AC is a 120AC/generator thing.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Gunman9 » Mon May 04, 2015 7:22 am

Ya I got it all figured out now lol thanks anyway. I'm gonna stick with KISS (keep it simple stupid) and just run the few 12v things I have off of the system.
Gunman9
Teardrop Master

Postby Gunman9 » Mon May 04, 2015 11:56 am

One think I am looking at buying is a 12v AGM battery. I have read some conflicting stuff that it needs vent and that it don't. The whole reason I would get an AGM is so I don't have to vent it so which is true?
Gunman9
Teardrop Master

Postby MtnDon » Mon May 04, 2015 5:59 pm

In normal use AGM do not vent. They are made to vent so they don't explode if abused. You do not want them to vent as there is no way to replace electrolyte. Venting is detrimental to their longevity. In normal use they don't vent and can last a long time. You pay for that "no need to ventilate" with the higher purchase price. Don't abuse and they have advantages, for the $$.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Gunman9 » Mon May 04, 2015 6:01 pm

MtnDon wrote:In normal use AGM do not vent. They are made to vent so they don't explode if abused. You do not want them to vent as there is no way to replace electrolyte. Venting is detrimental to their longevity. In normal use they don't vent and can last a long time. You pay for that "no need to ventilate" with the higher purchase price. Don't abuse and they have advantages, for the $$.

Ok nice so I can hook everything up In a cabinet in the trailer or does it need to be in an enclosed battery box?
Gunman9
Teardrop Master

Postby GuitarPhotog » Mon May 04, 2015 6:50 pm

My AGM battery lives in a cabinet in the teardrop. It has lived there for almost 5 years, and is connected to a PD4045 which keeps it properly charged. It has never had a problem and it still charges to full capacity. YMMV, depending on how much you pay and how you treat your battery.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Mon May 04, 2015 7:16 pm

Depends on one's level of paranoia... ;)

Under "normal" use an AGM is very safe. There are doomsday scenarios in which an AGM can actually melt down, cause a fire. But that is very rare. Not something most of us will ever encounter. I would be comfortable installing an AGM inside my trailer if one would meet all my requirements.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Gunman9 » Mon May 04, 2015 7:33 pm

MtnDon wrote:Depends on one's level of paranoia... ;)

Under "normal" use an AGM is very safe. There are doomsday scenarios in which an AGM can actually melt down, cause a fire. But that is very rare. Not something most of us will ever encounter. I would be comfortable installing an AGM inside my trailer if one would meet all my requirements.

I'm highly considering this one. Let me know if it's lacking in any areas I missed. I have been doing a lot of research and reading about this.

http://m.samsclub.com/ip/duracell-agm-d ... rod3590232
Gunman9
Teardrop Master

Postby MtnDon » Mon May 04, 2015 9:07 pm

Well, what to say? That is an AGM version of the typical RV / Marine deep cycle battery, in a group 31 size. Not really a true deep cycle like a golf cart battery, GC-s group size. Better than a typical cranking battery sold for standard automotive use, but not as robust as a golf cart battery. Not as much weight as two GC-2's; because it is not as good, contains thinner lead plates.... Last time I checked it is made by Deka, an reputable manufacturer.

What it probably comes down to is if one does not want to cart around the weight of two FLA or AGM GC-2's and if one does not need the extra AH capacity offered by two GC-2's or spend as much money as two AGM GC-2's..... that group 31 AGM will do a creditable job as long as it is not overtaxed. IE don't do high amperage discharges as in running a 1500 watt electric kettle for 6+ cups of water every day. I would likely be happy if I was running lights, a water pump, fans... that sort of thing.

MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Gunman9 » Mon May 04, 2015 9:12 pm

MtnDon wrote:Well, what to say? That is an AGM version of the typical RV / Marine deep cycle battery, in a group 31 size. Not really a true deep cycle like a golf cart battery, GC-s group size. Better than a typical cranking battery sold for standard automotive use, but not as robust as a golf cart battery. Not as much weight as two GC-2's; because it is not as good, contains thinner lead plates.... Last time I checked it is made by Deka, an reputable manufacturer.

What it probably comes down to is if one does not want to cart around the weight of two FLA or AGM GC-2's and if one does not need the extra AH capacity offered by two GC-2's or spend as much money as two AGM GC-2's..... that group 31 AGM will do a creditable job as long as it is not overtaxed. IE don't do high amperage discharges as in running a 1500 watt electric kettle for 6+ cups of water every day. I would likely be happy if I was running lights, a water pump, fans... that sort of thing.

Good to know. I'm just running a water pump, 12v lighter outlet, volt meter, and maybe a single LED light. I seen someone on here used something to run the wires through the side of the trailer. They called a clam or something. Also, would you recommend not drilling the panel to the roof or building a roof rack out of aluminum angle from lowes? Or is there another way I haven't come across.
Gunman9
Teardrop Master

Postby MtnDon » Mon May 04, 2015 9:26 pm

I like a rack secured to the side edges of thetrailer top or Drill free panel mounts....
link 1 link 2

used with something like Sikaflex

MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Gunman9 » Mon May 04, 2015 9:48 pm

MtnDon wrote:I like a rack secured to the side edges of thetrailer top or Drill free panel mounts....
link 1 link 2

used with something like Sikaflex

Iv ran across the drill free panel mounts but have a fear of driving down the road and it taking full sail lol. Is this actually a good way to mount them with little worries? I like my insurance rate at its current rate lol
Gunman9
Teardrop Master

Postby MtnDon » Mon May 04, 2015 10:20 pm

I have not used them myself yet, but I have tried to pry apart items that were affixed with Sikaflex adhesives and sealants. Very difficult to do w/o actually using a thin blade to cut thru the adhesive layer between the parts.

MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets