spare tire?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: spare tire?

Postby coyote » Fri May 29, 2015 12:56 pm

Never needed it, but my spare is on an extra hub, with greased wheel bearings, seal, washer, nut, cotter pin and hub cap. ( heck, there's even a baggy with rubber gloves for the grease). ( Can you say obsessive compulsiv?) :oops:
coyote
Titanium Donating Member

Postby desertmoose » Fri May 29, 2015 12:59 pm

coyote wrote: ( Can you say obsessive compulsiv?) :oops:

Not at all. Just prepared. :thumbsup:

Sam
desertmoose
The 300 Club

HOw about a smaller size wheel for spare?

Postby TimC » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:55 am

I will have 175/80-13 (4on4 wheel) tires on my TD. I want to save space, weight and money so I am planning on using a 12" wheel/tire (4on4) for the spare. Any concerns other than limited range with a smaller spare?
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:42 am

Hell don't laugh !

I take an 8" as my "space saver spare" for the 12" tires on Chubby !
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:58 am

Depending on which 12 inch tire, that could be up to about 3-1/2 inches difference in diameter. I think it would be okay in a pinch to get you off the road (or back to the road) but I suspect that you might (maybe) get some tire scrubbing or sway at higher road speeds. So I would be mindful, should you be unlucky enough to have to swap on the spare, to get it fixed right away and avoid any high speed runs; or at least approach the situation cautiously, building up speed gradually to see how the trailer reacts and testing/checking frequently for heat and abnormal wear (at least at first).
:thinking:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby dguff » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:27 pm

I have a spare for the trailer. It is a "mini spare" from a late model Ford Crown VIc which just happens to have the same bolt circle as my teardrop wheels. Not quite the same size but will work if needed. I just carry it in the tow vehicle on a trip and store it in the garage when not traveling.
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:28 pm

Is a Crown Vic wheel bolt pattern the same as a standard bolt trailer hub? I take it that means that a Crown vic is rear wheel drive the wheels don't have the big offset.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby PKCSPT » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:42 pm

Went to the junk yard and got one of those small spares for $5 and feel a lot better. I may be old fashioned but I like a spare
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:30 pm

KennethW wrote:Is a Crown Vic wheel bolt pattern the same as a standard bolt trailer hub? I take it that means that a Crown vic is rear wheel drive the wheels don't have the big offset.

There is no standard trailer hub bolt pattern. I have 15" rims with 5 on 5-1/2 bolt circle on my teardrop and 14" rims with 5 on 4-1/2 bolt circle on my Lo-Liner.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby dguff » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:53 am

The Crown Vic bolt pattern is 5 by 4 1/2.
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Werdahekrwe » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:36 pm

Hey, Coyote, you are NOT obsessive, compulsive. You are just like me, a belt AND suspenders guy. Nothing wrong with that. Like the sign over the high altitude chamber at the Air For Academy says: "It is better to be down here, wishing you were up there, than being up there, wishing you were down here." In fact I am pretty much that way. I am DEFINITELY going to have a spare and probably spare bearing and grease (and gloves), because it is a LOT better to be safe than sorry. Not to mention having a week, or even a weekend shot because one "didn't plan aheaD'. Oops. Wives tend to get a LITTLE upset when things don't go well. RIGHT? :x :cry: And it is a LOT more comfortable sleeping in the rig than the tow, right?
Always remember: You can't fly with eagles if all you hang around with are turkeys.
Werdahekrwe
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DrewsBrews » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:59 am

Usually "good enough" is preparing for the most common mode of failure. In the case of trailers, I don't think Slime quite meets that criteria.

The longer you run on a flat the more damage the tire takes from overheating; and the more chance for damaging the wheel, ruining it for further use. Since it's not on the TV it can be more difficult to "feel" a flat while on the move, and if the trailer is narrow enough you may not be able to see the tires from the mirrors. So you may not even realize it until the tire finally begins falling apart, or the tire has sustained enough damage and internal delamination that just sliming and airing back up is only going to result in a blowout a few miles down the road.
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Postby Jdw2717 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:44 am

I run with a spare mounted on the tongue and I also carry one of the complete pre-greased hub and bearing sets that come packaged in the round plastic case that northern tool sells by ultra tow. I figure if I have the parts I am less likely to need them. :worship:
"Twenty years form now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines... Explore. Dream. Discover" Mark Twain

John & Tatanya
Jdw2717
Teardrop Master

Re: spare tire? absolutely. ;)

Postby Franco Novo » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:05 pm

Oh yeah. And, I just arrived yesterday in Florida from Pa. in the little Gypsy wagon.
Very first trip, and it was about 1200 miles.

Since it was built on a Harbor Freight folding trailer , and because of all of the cautions and fine advice I read on these forums, I bought a spare tire
Interestingly, (and knock wood}, the trailer towed just fine..and it only has the original 12" class B tires
hubs stayed quite cool, lots of checking it at rest stops. (Glad I repacked those bearings when I put it together)

And..the whole ride down was in drizzle and rain, until Florida, which of course, there were absolutely blackout pounding showers, you know, the usual in Florida... lol :o
I didn't do any camping in it...it was built mostly to haul cargo down...loaded it was about 1000 lbs. towed with the 4 cyl. Ford Focus Wagon
Averaged about 27 MPG..(can't beat that) ..and speed was approx. 60-65 mph. all the way down.

Very pleased , since it was my first build. :thumbsup:

Having had flats before on my car running the Fla. to Pa. run before, Remember...a lot of times the purpose of a spare, any spare, is to get you off the highway, to the next town for a repair and a night in the hotel if need be. Beats sitting on the side of Interstate or unhitching and leaving your trailer behind whle you go and try to dig up a spare in towns you're so very unfamiliar with.
especially, if it's nightime, and raining...

best to all,
Franco
[album] 135562[/album]
Franco Novo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby daveesl77 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:11 pm

Well, with mine, since on the initial trip, within 250 miles of our starting point, the hub actually came apart (not the bearings), I bought another hub at Tractor Supply to do the trip with and everything worked fine from then on. Once I got back I took the pieces back to HF and they gave me a new hub with tire mounted. So, now I have the complete unit just in case I ever need it. I tow with a pickup, so space isn't a problem and the spare rides in the truck bed.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets