Do you leave the galley open?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Re: Do you leave the galley open?

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:34 pm

Danny's got that right! You have to worry not only about animals; but also, people, especially immature people and kids. Last year, I went to a gathering where our tiny trailers were on display. I not only caught people looking through my cabinets but also, someone turned both of the stove's gas burners on full. Luckily, I had turned the tank gas off, on the tongue. Can you imagine if my trailer had one of those new Coleman stoves that is self lighting?!

If you are certain that someone that you trust will be watching, it is probably okay to leave it open...as long as that someone is watching, not sleeping. But, if not, close and lock it. Even if you have someone nearby to watch while you maybe visit the restroom, more than that may be asking too much of a fellow camper or non-family member. Even during the day, at a gathering where strangers may be visiting trailers, I've been told to hide items of value. Small items can develop "legs" and "walk away". One never knows.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GerryS » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:49 am

Closed...closed...closed...and locked.

First, it keeps 4 legged friends out. Second, removes the temptation from those pesky neighbors. First it's just look in the tally area, next thing you know they are looking through drawers.

All joking aside, especially carrying adult beverages, would you leave your liquor cabinet unlocked on your driveway? Teens stealing brewskies isn't a joke. If they do, then fall off a bike or walk off a trail and twist something, or worse you could find yourself liable.

If I'm at the site and outside, it's generally open. Inside and awake its closed, any time I'm asleep or away it's locked.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TwoFeetShorter » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:54 am

GerryS wrote:

All joking aside, especially carrying adult beverages, would you leave your liquor cabinet unlocked on your driveway? Teens stealing brewskies isn't a joke. If they do, then fall off a bike or walk off a trail and twist something, or worse you could find yourself liable.

I never even thought of that! Really good point. All great input guys, thanks. When I went camping in the pop up I never thought twice about leaving the cooler, camping grill, and rubbermaid food box out on the picnic table. But, we don't have bears where I camped before. I plan on doing a lot of travelling with this thing and some of those areas I want to go do have bears! I will keep it closed up when I am not in attendance.

Neil
TwoFeetShorter
Teardrop Builder

Postby Socal Tom » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:14 pm

Mine almost always gets closed at night. In rare circumstances I leave it open. I usually camp in the desert during the cold season, so it gets cold at night. Closing the hatch makes me feel like I get a little more insulation on that end.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby GerryS » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:44 pm

Bears are a whole new part of the equation :) no food in the gally in bear country!
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby kirkman » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:23 pm

GerryS wrote:Bears are a whole new part of the equation :) no food in the gally in bear country!

If it was in there at one time and you cooked in you galley the bears are going to smell it!
It will of course help not having any food in there but don't count on it if you run in to a humanized bear on a mission. :frightened:
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby daveesl77 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:49 pm

My galley is weird as it slides out of a recessed doorway in the back and then resides exterior to the camper. The normal galley door acts as a base for the cabinets and a secondary door goes into place behind the cabinets to seal the camper off from the exterior. The only foodstuffs we keep outside are can goods and such. All perishables have a box in the truck and a cabinet in the camper. Refrigerator is inside the camper but ice chest is outside. Once again though, only thing in ice chest is normally drinks and such. If I need to shift food to ice chest, then it goes in the back of the truck at night or when we aren't around.

If I need to shut it all down, it takes me less than 2 minutes to put the entire galley back inside the camper. It resides under my bed frame so you don't know it is there. Well, my dog knows it, as when it is outside he has a giant "cave" under the bed to sleep in and when inside he is limited to just his floor area.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby Tucguy » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:08 pm

If I am not within site of my trailer then the hatch is closed. I camp in bear country usually and through the years I have seen them on numerous occasions but the most troublesome critters are skunks. Bears are seen at any time day and night but mostly during the day. I have not seen them to be very pushy about investigating my camps. They have been more opportunistic in their nature. I have always been able to chase them away or they were just passing by on their own. By the way these are black bears I am talking about. Grizzlies are another story. Skunks show up at night and they just do what they want. The secret is to not step on them or try to get them to do anything. Just let them go sniffing around. I have had up to 3 in camp going around our feet when we are awake and just snooping around when we are in bed. I have not had skunks climb on my trailer. I don't hear them since I got my trailer but you do hear them when you sleep in a tent. Raccoon are far more careful around people and are only a problem if you are not there. Close the hatch. I am far more concerned about animals than people but I don't camp in many improved sites. I do not cook in my trailer and I keep food and the cooler in the SUV when not needed.
Tucguy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby canned o minimum » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:33 am

I do a lot of boondockin and dispersed campin...I'm mostly concerned with the "critters". I've seen raccoons PUSH a cooler from UNDER a trailer to git to its contents. Squirrels are quite resorseful as well. I don't think we hafta "splain what a BEAR can do. Then...bein dispersed or in the wilderness, ya got be a bit concerned with "strangers" ( the human kind) wanderin into yer camp site and letting "opportunity" take its course. I always try to think ..."What could go wrong"? Then be prepared fer ANYTHIN !
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby capnTelescope » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:21 pm

Mostly closed. Depends on the critter situation. If there's coons or squirrels, shut. If it's mostly jackrabbits, meh. Then the main concern is wind. (Lions and tigers and) Bears? Oh my! Galley shut and shields up.

My main thing is forgetting to turn off the propane.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby lrrowe » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:02 pm

I believe that whether I leave food in my CT's closed galley or my TV (back of truck with either tonneau cover or cap), the risk of bear damage is the same. I am defining "damage" as scratches or door damage from bear claws as they try to get in. I do both of the above methods and am not comfortable that it is the best I can do. But short of a bear box, I have no other ideas.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:30 pm

If I'm in camp, I'll leave it open for convenience.

But learned from first hand experience, that even then a good gust of wind can come up (and it DID!) and flipped the hatch so far back it landed on top of the trailer. Had to jury rig it back on for the ride home. Also, I never like to welcome the Blue Jay or squirrel families who will often scamper in and grab what appeals to them.

Joanie
The Teardrop Nanny :R
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby PKCSPT » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:51 am

Closed,,,, Minnesota,,,,,, Bugs
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby Tomterrific » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:10 pm

My hatch is not a galley. It's built back open with a curtain hanging from the open hatch and this makes a 3x4 stand up changing area in the back. I thought about closing up the hatch when we leave but it seems too troublesome for me, plus it isn't any less secure than a tent. We keep food and valuables with us in the car unless we are in camp. It's not like we can't get burned by crooks stealing flashlights or pillows but we try not to worry.

Tom
Tomterrific
500 Club

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets