Questions About 4x8 Harbor Freight Trailer Capacity

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: Questions About 4x8 Harbor Freight Trailer Capacity

Postby ToNIX » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:48 pm

Graniterich wrote:Two boxes, one is about four and one half feet by18 "by about 8" Really heavy! .The other is square about 24" x 24"x 16“

Thank you, it should fit my Forester without any problems.
ToNIX
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Graniterich » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:49 pm

Yes fits easily in a Honda Pilot
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby ToNIX » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:54 pm

I'll call the store tomorrow and see. There's no HF near the border, so there's only a small time frame where I can purchase the trailer at the South Portland (ME) store. I could have it shipped to a warehouse in Champlain (NY), but the shipping kind of kills the deal.
ToNIX
Teardrop Inspector

Postby LilStuDrop » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:52 am

I want to use this trailer to pull behind a motorcycle. I just saw a YouTube video where someone complained that because it was put together with bolts, it wasn't as sturdy. I was thinking of tack welding for extra sturdiness. Any thoughts or concerns regarding the bold type trailers?
LilStuDrop
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KennethW » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:06 am

When you get the teardrop box on the trailer it will be sturdy. No need to burn thru the paint and weld.
You may want to lower the trailer by installing the axle above the spring and cutting the bracket for clearance.
I gather this will be a light build so you might want to remove the center leaf on the springs for a smoother ride.
Also a piece of plastic pipe over the bolt on back end of the spring will keep it from rattling on every bump in the road.
PS clean and pack the bearing with real grease.
Last edited by KennethW on Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby daveesl77 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:41 am

I did weld all joints, but honestly I'm sure it really isn't necessary. Definitely do the wheel bearings, the stuff that comes with them on shipment is not grease but just a packing compound. Clean them completely first ( I just use gasoline) then pack properly. I prefer the "red" grease, but any quality type will work. The hubs have a grease fitting, so you can add more when needed.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby Xanthoman » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:44 am

I have been scouring the forum to see if anyone has done a schematic depiction of the size of the two trailers. I'm curious in viewing a Sideview and how high they ride off the ground as well as exact dimensions of the wheel well system. I am currently designing my trailer in CAD and having actual numbers would be very useful. If anyone could make a sketch of a side and top view with accurate dimensions that would be fantastically appreciated! :-) I actually plan to build my entire teardrop first without the trailer and then get the trailer with just a simple flatbed on it and then put my teardrop on it when I'm using it. Unfortunately I have room for only one trailer so it will have to be dual purpose teardrop as well as my flatbed hauler. (My teardrop is designed to be ultra light, thus far calculating to be made less than 250# or so...foam life) :)
Xanthoman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby daveesl77 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:43 pm

Ok, this is weird. I just got an ad from HF for a Parking Lot sale this weekend. Normally doesn't actually mean much. However, on the last page they list the "foldable trailer with a 1,720# capacity", the foldable was (if I remember correctly) rated at like 1,100# and the non-fold was 1,720#. While the frame on the fold/non-fold were fairly similar, it was the suspension and some wall thicknesses that made the difference. Not exactly sure what they are doing now. Oh, and the 20% off coupons are now seldom available for the trailer, but sometimes they still work. Guy in front of me yesterday used one on his phone.

dave

daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby Dan242 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:17 am

Was just looking at that ad, Looks like same trailer in pics, maybe just axle and springs are different? Says its New
Dan242
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:00 pm

The only difference I could discern when in the store was the tire capacity is different.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby daveesl77 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:18 pm

In the past, the 1720 used different framing shape than the 1100 (I don't remember the actual term for the shapes). Plus the wheels used to be 4 bolt vs 5 bolt and a different axle design. Now, maybe the old 1100 is gone and they just added in a hinging system to the 1720. Who knows for sure.

dave

daveesl77
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets