Anyone tow with a mini cooper?

All about towing and tow vehicles

Re: Anyone tow with a mini cooper?

Postby bc555af » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:08 am

Bob did you get your new trailer wiring kit yet?
bc555af
Teardrop Builder

Postby Midget » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:38 am

They won't ship another as they say the one I received is the one that should work. I tried to figure it out again last weekend and I know this isn't the correct part. I can get running lights and both turn signals to work but no brake lights. When I switch to the brake light wire, the tail lights are always on with bright brake lights even when I don't have the brake pedal pushed. I sent an email to Curt Manufacturing who made the converter but there has been no reply. Can't take the trailer to get registered so it sits waiting to figure this one out.
Midget
Teardrop Master

Postby pchast » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:45 pm

Your tail lights have 3 wires. running light, brake light and ground. It sounds like the running light and brake light wires are swapped at the light location itself...
:thinking:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Midget » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:58 am

Pete,

That's what I tried to explain but they tell me I have a Pulse Wave Modulation wire for the tail/brake light. One wire that has low current for the tail light and when you touch the brakes, it ups the current to make the light brighter. This is what mfg's have gone to since using LED's.

Still haven't heard back from Curt Mfg.
Midget
Teardrop Master

Postby bc555af » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:20 am

Sorry to hear that. I ordered mine off of mnidomore.com and before it shipped I emailed them a few questions and each time I got a reply withing 24 hours so you might have more luck with them and just return the one you're having problems with.

Wiring kit on MNI DO More:

http://www.mnidomore.com/product.php?pr ... featured=Y

MINI Hatchback uses the WH1007 model which is what I used and is also apparently what they sent you.
MINI Clubman uses the WH1005 model, so there's go to be a difference...

Hope this helps so you can get on the road with it!
bc555af
Teardrop Builder

Postby bc555af » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:27 pm

So after my last post I went ahead and emailed MNI Do More about the Clubman wiring kit and they sent me their PDF installation manual for it in a little over an hours time. I uploaded it to One Drive so you can take a look at it and see if the wiring instructions match what you need. If so, I would just return the e-trailer one if they can't work it out and order it from there or something. The wiring diagram is indeed different than what I had on my hatchback.

Here is the link to the PDF manual:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=a ... file%2cpdf
bc555af
Teardrop Builder

Postby Midget » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:05 pm

Thanks for the follow up. I also contacted Mini Do More and even though I didn't purchase from them they came right back with the same information. I will probably pick up one of they're converters.

Still haven't heard anything from Etrailer or Curt.
Midget
Teardrop Master

Postby Midget » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:40 pm

I broke down today and ordered the wiring kit from Mini Do More. They seem to know what they're talking about. E-trailer won't help as they claim I got the right part. I'll let everyone know how it goes with the second try.
Midget
Teardrop Master

Postby Blind Dog Daddy » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:11 pm

Bob,
It sounds like you may have a crossed wire. Try connecting tail light signal wire to side marker or plate lamp. Some bulbs on tail/brake are PWM and others are not. Make sure you've got grounds connected to both car and trailer too.

I have used the Hoppy or Hopkins brand that is not designed for PWM systems, and connect to the Non-pulsed circuits.
On the Clubman, I get taillight signal from a side marker circuit, and the turn signals from the L and R feeds to those bulbs. I connect the brake signal from the high mounted center brake light.
Keep in mind that the brake and turn signals are the same wires on the trailer. One brake light is also a turn signal. The tail lights are the other lead on trailer. The converter/isolator box converts separate turn signal, brake and tail lights at the tow vehicle to the trailer's three wire system. The isolator part of the system actually powers the trailer bulbs through the power and ground of the tow vehicle.
The trailer's lights run on 12 volts regardless of LED or incandescent.
Sorry for long rambling response, with info you may already know, maybe some info may help you think this through.

Gene
Blind Dog Daddy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Midget » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:27 pm

So I ordered the wiring kit from Mini Do More and it arrived this week. I took the Mini to the barn and started cutting wires, soldering, heat shrink tuning and in a half an hour I had properly working trailer lights. All I needed was that red stop lamp wire. E Trailer doesn't even return my emails or calls any more.

Thanks everyone for their help and support. Now it's on with the Woody build!
Midget
Teardrop Master

Postby Vedette » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:07 am

We had a 2013 Mini Cooper S pulling a "Quick Silver" for the first time, stop in for the night on Friday. Owner was on his way to Alaska!
Very slick set up!
Nice hitch and wiring conversion.
Markus might chime in here with more info when he gets to Alaska???
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby godskid » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:28 pm

I have a 2012 MINI hardtop manual transmission, S model. I installed (by myself! (ps I'm female)) MiniDoMore's hidden hitch made for this model. I love their instructions. Got their wiring kit too, for the same reason. I also, later, sprang for the tow bar with 2 rings welded to it, so I had a place to attach my chains (I forget; did that come from MiniDoMore too?).

I pull a Little Guy "Joey" trailer, which is a 4x8 stripped down teardrop, perhaps 4 ft tall. They have renamed it the Deuce on their website now. http://golittleguy.com
Mine does have the cabinets and the battery installed for interior lights and a fan (a bit more weight), but this small model doesn't even offer a kitchen. Just a tiny table which pops out of the hatch at back. Other than that, it is a double bed (minus an inch or two) and that's all. It's a gear hauler, and if you leave enough room, a sleeper. I pack it fairly full; I have to move suitcases into the drivers seat when I stop to sleep, and then back into the trailer when it's driving time again. It is light enough that I move it around my garage by hand, though mostly when it is empty. I use a dolly thingy when it is loaded.

I've pulled it from the Chicago area to Pennsylvania and then Virginia 3 times now, 1800 miles round trip each time. Other than a slight hit on the gas mileage, I barely know it's there. Well, that and I can't see out of the rear view mirror cuz there's this trailer following me right on my bumper!

In PA this year, I was accosted by two guys who sprang from their fast food meal to follow me to my gas pit stop. "Where did you get that hitch? We need to know how to tow with a MINI Cooper!" Oh, and "Have you ever heard of TearJerkers? " I told them I was already a nominal member out here in Illinois, that I wouldn't be in town long enough for the campout the following week, though they invited me to it, and we parted on great terms!
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby bc555af » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:21 am

I was looking at the Little Guy 4x7 Deuce before I built mine. I almost went for it, but decided on building one just like it wouldn't be hard on a shortened HF frame. I was going to build mine like the XP package of the Deuce with the fold up table in the rear as a galley, but decided not to even do the rear galley at all since I already had a little fold up table. I really liked the shape and how small it was would have worked perfectly for what we use ours for now. I think I got the shape of ours pretty close...maybe just a little taller. We also throw all of our gear in the teardrop, so making a stop and going right to sleep isn't going to happen unless baggage is shifted to the Mini and then back again in the morning. Not that big of a deal at all for us. Ours is basically a sleeper with A/C and basic stand alone power for lights and to charge our phones. Our Mini + teardrop set up works great for us. :D Thanks for all the info guys. Keep it going though! I was surprised that there are so many people who use their mini cooper for towing a teardrop.

I was also interested in Taylor Coaches out of Ontario. They build mini travel trailers, not teardrops, but I found it interesting that he made a video of a guy towing their 8 foot model with a Mini S.

here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHJCA06cQ90

:o
bc555af
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles