Slipper spring question

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Slipper spring question

Postby TNSean » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:49 pm

Do you need to lubricate the slipper spring where the rear of the spring rubs on the mount that is on the frame?

What about the bolt that is on the front of the spring/hanger?

Slowly making progress assembling my NT 5'x8'. It will be nice when I can finally work with some wood. :twisted:

Thanks
TNSean
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Slipper spring question

Postby Dale M. » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:40 am

Would not hurt on slipper portion.... Bolt is probably ok without....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Redneck Teepee » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:16 am

I did see a small boat trailer a while back with slipper springs that had about a 1/4" thick pad of UHMW (white in color)between the frame and slipper part of the spring.

Not sure if it was factory or owner installed but seemed like a good application to me, could also be that the trailer was galvanized coated and this was to protect the coating from the spring movement abrasion. UHMW (ultra high molecular weight) needs no lubrication or grease or UHMW-PE (polyethelene)(red in color) is even better as one of it's recommended uses is for suspension wear plates.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Just my 2 cents worth.
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:03 pm

I put a piece of plastic pipe(pex) over the slipper bolt to keep it from rattling when I hit a bump.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TNSean » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:52 pm

I lubed the spot where the spring rubs on the slipper end with some garage door spray lube that is suppose to dry and not attract dirt. We will see what happens.
TNSean
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Franco Novo » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:47 pm

What is Pipex? like a brake line hose...or air line hosing....
Sounds like a good idea, because I got to this point today installing the leaf springs on my HF trailer
and thought, WoW, that's gonna make a lot of rattle

I don't have much experience with springs, it sounds like the slipper spring setup is to give the leaf springs some 'give' so they wouldn't be to stiff on a bump
am I close.?

thanks
franco
Franco Novo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Redneck Teepee » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:55 pm

Franco Novo wrote:What is Pipex? like a brake line hose...or air line hosing....
Sounds like a good idea, because I got to this point today installing the leaf springs on my HF trailer
and thought, WoW, that's gonna make a lot of rattle

I don't have much experience with springs, it sounds like the slipper spring setup is to give the leaf springs some 'give' so they wouldn't be to stiff on a bump
am I close.?

thanks
franco

I think you are referring to PEX Tubing.......it is a flexible plastic tubing or pipe used in RV's for the water lines. That yellow gas line you see the utility company's installing underground is basically the same stuff but a thicker wall. :)
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby ctstaas » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:31 am

Hi There
49Rob has a post somewhere about lubricatttning leaf springs. Covers the bases for me and I somehow feel smarter by reading his post.
Enjoy, Chris
ctstaas
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:01 am

Pex = Polyethylene cross linked. Same stuff used in radiant floor heating systems.

The slipper spring configuration is an economical version of a leaf spring because it eliminates the articulated shackle and hardware used on typical double eye leaf springs. Presumably the springs are less costly to make as well.

I have slipper springs on my boat trailer. They do make a little noise from time to time, but usually the only time I notice it is when maneuvering over the berm at the end of my driveway. My driveway slopes down from the road so there is a 3 or 4 inch berm to keep rainwater from running down out of the street. As i make the turn out of the driveway I will usually hear a slap or "sproing" when the second wheel drops off the berm.

A little grease or slipper pad (delrin or reinforced nylon) between the spring and its wear surface, and the tubing slipped over the retainer bolt sound like good ideas to me. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Franco Novo » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:42 pm

ctstaas wrote:Hi There
49Rob has a post somewhere about lubricatttning leaf springs. Covers the bases for me and I somehow feel smarter by reading his post.
Enjoy, Chris

I'll try to find that. thank you
Franco
Franco Novo
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets