Can a chicken fryer be a Dutch Oven?

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Can a chicken fryer be a Dutch Oven?

Postby deleted » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:25 am

Just received a vintage Griswold #8 chicken fryer from a friend. It came with a glass lid. Though I've had a Dutch Oven cookbook for a few years now I still haven't found a DO to purchase because I've been holding out for a vintage one rather than purchase a new one. So, my question is: Is there a way to create a lid or find a different vintage, flat, metal lid (like is there a known lid to use for this purpose?) to use on the chicken fryer to convert it to a Dutch Oven? Or is a chicken fryer just too shallow and am I better off continuing to look for a real DO? :thinking:
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Can a chicken fryer be a Dutch Oven?

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:24 am

Stacie, maybe you could find a skillet for a lid, like this Lodge LCC3 combo that we use as a Dutch oven.
We put it in our Camp Chef oven/stove combo.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby deleted » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:29 pm

Thank you for the great tip Danny!

I do like that the fryer could do double duty to save on not replicating the larger DO pot and having to store two whether traveling or at home.

Just tried out my large cast iron skillet on top of the fryer and BINGO! They fit perfectly and even better the skillet has a ring around the underside/base that will help to keep the charcoal briquets in place. You just saved me hours of stopping by antique, second hand and thrift shops, and yard sales looking for a DO. I've been looking for years now! LOL The search is officially over :thumbsup:
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:42 pm

SHOPGOODWILL.COM

enter "cast iron" in the search and you will see all kinds of cast iron goodies from sea to shining sea.

Also Cabella's and other outdoor outfitters sell the camp oven ( and dome ) style lids separately so take your iron in and tell the first clerk you see that you are test fitting for the correct lid size and just shop.

Those large round cast iron griddles are another choice.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/87970?pr ... 6&product={product_id}&cvosrc=cse.bing.{product_id}&cvo_crid={creative}

I user the devil out of my little rat tail skillet for baked goods.
Having the heat up close and reducing the heat just a bit seems to make the product come out so much better.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:41 pm

Stacie, I'm happy you found an easy solution without leaving home.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Hoosier Daddy » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:23 pm

Oh BobHenry, what have you DONE? I read this thread because I was tired of sharing my Lodge DO lid with my old Griswald 10 1/2" chicken fryer...
Then I read your post!

bobhenry wrote:SHOPGOODWILL.COM

enter "cast iron" in the search and you will see all kinds of cast iron goodies from sea to shining sea.

:shock:
OMG! I am now registered on that website. Too many GREAT deals on vintage stuff... for less than $10!
Thank you very much!
(my DW says the same thing, but in a different tone.)
:frightened:
I have gone to find myself.
If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
Me
Hoosier Daddy
Teardrop Builder

Postby deleted » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:07 pm

Thanks for pointing out that link Bob Henry! Will definitely be checking it out from time to time as I seek more vintage items for The Glampette!

Fortunately on this go around my skillet fit the chicken fryer perfectly so *BOOM* I have my first (kind of sort of) Dutch Oven!

And LOL Hoosier Daddy:
(my DW says the same thing, but in a different tone.) :frightened:
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:16 am

Well we had the second hottest day this year during our labor day weekend. I had thawed out some thick sliced pork tenderloin ( steaks ? )

The plan was to bake them in the kitchen oven but there was no way we were going to do it after realizing the extreme temps.

I was off base at the gal pals with none of my toys (cast iron) Luckily I had gotten her a 9" cast iron lidded chicken fryer.

I took the eight loins and rinsed them and dredged them thru some heavily peppered flour. I oiled the fryer with some olive oil and stacked the loins 4 on top of 4.

I placed a large amount of charcoal in the old worn out sunbeam grill and after getting it going replaced the grill grate. Cooking from the bottom only in cast iron over coals is inviting burnt (or half raw) food so I added about 12 ounces of water and 2 packets of lipton onion soup mix to the fryer to simmer and protect the loins from burning over the direct fire. About 30 minutes into the cook I put the top 4 loins on the bottom and the bottoms on the top. This was to happen 2 more times flipping them to the other sides so at the end all side would have been in direct contact with the pan. They cooked almost 2 hours total and were soooo tender and the onion soup flavor was fantastic. Served with a salad and some red beans and rice it was a great meal and the kitchen remained cool. :thumbsup:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby deleted » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:48 am

Thanks for that tip Bob! I'll have to try that too!

Will admit I haven't gotten to the cast iron chicken fryer just yet. Have been finessing my grilling skills which were non-existent. Can now grill any cut of steak and any vegetable using direct and indirect heat and figuring out the proper order to drop things onto the grill for different cooking times. Have also figured out everything comes out better basted in butter :o :lol:

Last night's dinner:

deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:48 am

If you find the chicken dry or the steak kind of tough cooked open like that try sealing them tightly in foil with about two maybe 3 tablespoons of water and your favorite spice combination.

For chicken I like a generous dash of teriyaki sauce with the water.

For the steaks the McCormick's Montreal steak dry seasoning Image

I cook them 30 to 45 before un foiling them to quickly grill mark them for presentation.

They are never dry and always tender.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Return to Cast Iron