Air Conditioner Install

Anything electric, AC or DC

Air Conditioner Install

Postby mjewell5 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:48 am

Hello all!

I am trying to work out a design for a TD. So far I am figuring on 60 X 96" X 48"H (approx.), and want to install an air conditioner inside the cab. I have searched but haven't really found the answers I am looking for, so I decided to post my queries instead.

I know that a 2 to 3K unit would be more than enough for the TD. If I install, say, a window unit, how would I go about plumbing for air flow across the back? A friend has a Silver Shadow, and it has stainless vents on either side of the camper, but I'm unsure of exactly what they do or how they work. Is there one pushing air in, and the other pulling air out, using axial fans? I know that the typical window unit hangs out a window (hence the name, I guess), and there is enough airflow for the unit to work. Is there a simple way to do the same thing in a TD without putting in a big grate or having to leave the galley hatch open?

As an alternative, is there a rooftop unit small enough for use on a TD? I have seen some in the 9 to 13K range, but that would be RIDICULOUS overkill!! A small, 2500 BTU roof unit would be the cat's meow...is there such a thing?

Any help (including pics of installation, ducting, etc) would certainly be appreciated!

Mike
mjewell5
Teardrop Builder

Re: Air Conditioner Install

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:30 am

I use a plain Jane 5000 btu window shaker.

I use it maybe one or two outings a year so toting it around as a "installed" unit seemed a bit of a waste. I set the unit under the trailer in the shade and duct in ONLY the cold air output.

you are looking upward under the gambrel eves. I left a small slot open for venting in fresh air with a small fan of for the AC delivery.
Since cold air falls it has worked well to keep us comfortable while sleeping.

I do not attempt to recycle the cooled air to re cool. This has resulted in the unit NEVER freezing up and still gives us all the cool needed to be comfortable no matter the heat outside. I am not sure the BTU output of a 5000 btu unit if you are not drawing in the cool air to be re-cooled but I am sure it drops considerably. What we do get has been more than enough to be comfortable on the hottest of days.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:12 pm

The back side of the AC unit must be outside, or have lots of forced air circulation of the unit will freeze up. It's generally easier to put it through a wall or bulkhead where you can expose the back to the outside without needing fans.

You can build a tray that allows the AC to travel inside and you open a hatch and push the rear outside when you want to run it.

Be aware it is almost impossible to run an AC off battery power. You almost can't carry enough batteries or a large enough inverter to run an AC because of the surge current draw when the compressor starts.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:28 pm

80999 This is the other alternative.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby mjewell5 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:31 am

Thanks everyone!

I'm looking for something that can be permanently installed, like in one of the Little Guy setups. I think they use forced air from a couple of axial fans to push air through the back of the unit. Was just wondering if something like that would be sufficient to keep the unit thawed enough to work efficiently.
mjewell5
Teardrop Builder

Postby TxDave » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:16 am

On our most recent build we installed the ac in the rear. It is covered by an aluminum lined box with baffling to direct the exhaust air down and back. There is ample air intake including an additional side vent. We camped at Belton Lake, TX on a 97 degree day and stayed very comfortable. we had no issues with using the ac. See photos in this album linked below:
http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=4030

Dave and Jan Clay
Temple, TX
TxDave
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mjewell5 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:53 pm

I kind of like that! Does the A/C unit have its own fan that pushes the air out, or do you use another fan that's not shown? Does it short cycle in this configuration, or does it run good long cycles and dry out the cab pretty well? If so, this may be just what I'm looking for!
mjewell5
Teardrop Builder

Postby TxDave » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:15 pm

I built an airplane in my garage before I started building teardrops. I had to learn about using baffling to direct airflow to cool my engine. The baffling in the ac box fits tightly around the rear portion of the unit. The exhaust jets out the bottom without the use of any additional fan. We ran the unit continuously. My wife complained that I kept the trailer too cold. A 5000BTU air conditioner doesn't have to work very hard to keep a teardrop cool.
Dave and Jan Clay
Temple, TX
TxDave
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mjewell5 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:47 pm

What kind of airplanes? I worked as an A&P/IA for about ten years, currently in the Air Force working A-10's. Also own a 1958 Bonanza that we rehabbed with T panel, new windows, engine overhaul, etc. Miss the "little planes"!
mjewell5
Teardrop Builder

Postby TxDave » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:26 pm

The A-10 is one of my favorite airplanes. I built a Sonex from plans. Cool little fun machine. Here's a link to a video I made.
https://youtu.be/AK-9Nn8rcLQ

Dave
Dave and Jan Clay
Temple, TX
TxDave
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Electrical Secrets