Easy water/pump system

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Easy water/pump system

Postby TwoFeetShorter » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:38 pm

Since the beginning of my build I have had an ingenious idea for my water tank system. For years at work I have dealt with tanks and pumps, and in a lot of our small trucks we had 25 gallon tanks with diaphragm pumps built on.
I don't want a 25 gallon tank, and have been searching for something in the 10-15 gallon range. I have found several, from northern tools and rural king. I am going with a 9 gallon tank/pump setup from rural king that will only set me back $50.
http://www.ruralking.com/country-way-9-gallon-spot-sprayer-ssd-03-009b-rk.html
It comes with it's own tie-down straps, and has a small footprint of only 19x15. The pump, being a diaphragm, means it will work on demand and has a gallon per minute flow rate.

I will be mounting it on the tongue of the camper to offset some of the weight in the back caused by the axle placement on the trailer itself. I noticed on my maiden trip that while the camper pulled straight, the tongue jumped a lot, telling me it is too light in the front.

The advantages to this system for me is weight distribution, ease of fill access, and the ability to drain it easily. In the winter or during long storage I will be able to unhook it from battery and the water line and put it up in my building. Also, if I decide to mount a water tank underneath at some point I will already have a pump, and I can use the tank for extra home water storage. This also will keep me from having to install a gravity fill hole in the side of the camper for an under mounted tank.
The plastic of this tank is BPA free, and safe for potable water. All I have to do is take off the spray nozzle and line and run a freshwater line from the front of the camper to the back of the galley.

The disadvantages is that my water will be in a clear tank that will be exposed to the sun, meaning that it could promote algae growth. Nothing a cap full of bleach wont fix.

when I hook this up to my galley, I plan on using a faucet that has both hot and cold handles. So the tank I will hook to one handle, and the other handle I will hook to a shore/campground fresh water connector. I will be able to use campground water while at a campground and tank water when boondocking without the need of a special camper faucet system that will accept both.

I hope maybe this might give y'all some ideas for your next build, and welcome questions, comments, or concerns!
Neil
TwoFeetShorter
Teardrop Builder

Re: Easy water/pump system

Postby Jack Olsen » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:46 pm

That seems like a great idea. I looked at some similar units -- how do you know the plastic tank is safe and clean enough for drinking water?
Jack Olsen
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Padilen » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:26 pm

We've always carried separate water for drinking. But I'd not worry if it's US made.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby TwoFeetShorter » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:52 pm

Jack Olsen wrote:That seems like a great idea. I looked at some similar units -- how do you know the plastic tank is safe and clean enough for drinking water?

Every clear/opaque tank like this I have ever worked with has been safe for drinking water. So I am actually making the assumption that this one is also, but I will check the tank mold before I buy to confirm. Most companies don't advertise that the tanks are safe for drinking water because they are going to be used for mixing herbicides anyway.

Padilen wrote:We've always carried separate water for drinking. But I'd not worry if it's US made.

I will have separate water for drinking mostly, but like to know just in case I need to I can drink water from the tank. Do you use bottled water to make your coffee also?
TwoFeetShorter
Teardrop Builder

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:01 pm

Looks like a great solution for a shower. I would not drink out of any plastic container not specifically labeled as food safe. Too many cheap plastic objects are made in China and similar places where materials safety is not a primary concern. And if the product doesn't have to be food safe, why spend the extra to use such materials.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:36 pm

TwoFeetShorter wrote:
Jack Olsen wrote:That seems like a great idea. I looked at some similar units -- how do you know the plastic tank is safe and clean enough for drinking water?

Every clear/opaque tank like this I have ever worked with has been safe for drinking water. So I am actually making the assumption that this one is also, but I will check the tank mold before I buy to confirm. Most companies don't advertise that the tanks are safe for drinking water because they are going to be used for mixing herbicides anyway.

Padilen wrote:We've always carried separate water for drinking. But I'd not worry if it's US made.

I will have separate water for drinking mostly, but like to know just in case I need to I can drink water from the tank. Do you use bottled water to make your coffee also?

Since I don't drink coffee - No
I plan on jugs of store bought water for my dog and I. I will also have a jug from home for emergency. My water tank for washing.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Jack Olsen » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:05 am

For what it's worth, AG South's sprayer system mentions with it's replacement pump that it's suitable for potable water.
Jack Olsen
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets