10' build on a NT 5x8 trailer

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

10' build on a NT 5x8 trailer

Postby Howego » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:02 am

Is the NT 5x8 trailer a good pick for a 10' teardrop? Also, what is the advantage of changing out the axel for Dexter? I have a 5x8 teardrop built on a NT 5x8 trailer with the original axel and things are working out just fine with 13" wheels. Thanks!
Howego
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 10' build on a NT 5x8 trailer

Postby woodywrkng » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:16 pm

Depending on how you overhang the extra two feet, you may have problems with your tongue weight, but I assume you know that. I too used this trailer, for a 5x8, and have been very pleased with it. The GVWR is 1980 pounds, so it should be able to handle a few extra feet.
woodywrkng
Silver Donating Member

Postby sincere01 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:14 pm

I just bought the NT 5'x8' and put it together. I am building my teardrop so the curves front and back stick out further than both the front and back of the platform. I'm hoping if its even front and back it will help with balancing the tongue weight. But just so you know I measured from the front of the platform to the back of the hitch coupler and its 30". Hope that helps with your planning.
Cheers,
Scott

My build thread: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63853
sincere01
Teardrop Advisor

Postby drshoe » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:55 pm

There are examples of 10ft boxes going on 8ft trailers on this site. I started building one myself with the extra 2ft hanging over the tongue. The typical tongue extension will probably be necessary if you build out over the tongue at all. As far as tongue weight goes, spend some time planning your load and playing with the trailer balance calculator in the design resources - figure your minimum and maximum loads, estimate the construction weight then find an axle position that gives acceptable balances with some cushion around your parameters. It's probably better to err on the heavier side as you can always add ballast - it comes in various forms and sizes but I hear the 30x12oz units work well :beer:
drshoe
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Burro » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:59 pm

I built my 10 foot tear on the 5x8 trailer sold by northern tool. I believe carry on manufactures it. Wonderful platform. I could not build it myself cheaper. I picked mine up 6 years ago for just under 300 bucks. I extended the Tongue out with a 6 foot extension. 4 feet total from the trailer. I used 3/16 steel stock from a steel shop and also made an A frame with gusset s.

Can be done. I have been across the country with it a few times. No problems with the axle that comes with it. Tires have about 8 k on them and will probably need to be replaced in about 3k miles.
Burro
Teardrop Builder

Postby Gunguy05 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:56 am

Lookup the x cubed. Zach used that trailer and changed his to a torflex. I used the torflex on my build (not a NT) and it rides like a dream. It's a very soft ride. Having said that there are plenty that go with the stock axle and springs that come with the NT and do just fine.
Brian

Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
Gunguy05
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:04 am

Mine was a 5x8 Namco looks exactly like the northern.

The second cross member was bower downward from being overloaded. Indicating to me there was a need for a better tongue design.

Here is how I made it to 10 foot for the barn

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=30307
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:26 am

The added length proved to be a bit ambitious for the 2x2 sq tube and a repair was needed.

After some brainstorming we added a flat strap and a small post to the front frame member. If you look closely you can see them in this picture...

as the coupler accepts more weight the tendency to lift is controlled by the forward strap and transfers the lift to the frame front member and tensions the rear strap for assistance. It has essentially made a truss out of the straight tube tongue.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets