Was sold the wrong trailer, now what the hell do I do?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: Was sold the wrong trailer, now what the hell do I do?

Postby ToadSprockett » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:39 pm

So after talking it over with my wife and working out options we are going to do the following:

1. Buy the axle and wheels from E-Trailer.
2. Take it down to my local welding guy and have him beef up the tongue.

I want to see how it handles with the current leaf springs, if I need to change that then it should not be a big deal to jack it up and fix those. I'm hoping it doesn't sway :oops:

I can't find leaf springs that are 2" wide and 23.5 long, I might call HF and see if I can get parts from them or if they know where to look. I might have to get some fabbed up as well...

I'm also putting the whole build on a diet, it's now a challenge to build as light as I possibly can...

Thanks for all the information

-Paul-
ToadSprockett
Teardrop Builder

Postby Jack Olsen » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:47 pm

In your shoes, I would not get a different axle at all. How heavy are you planning on building your trailer? I would go easy on the hardwoods and such and make yourself a 1000-lb trailer. It'll save you money on gas and tires and it will roll fine on that base.

That said, I'm new to this world. But there are a lot of great 400-600 pound trailers on this site.
Jack Olsen
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ToadSprockett » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:40 pm

Jack Olsen wrote:In your shoes, I would not get a different axle at all. How heavy are you planning on building your trailer? I would go easy on the hardwoods and such and make yourself a 1000-lb trailer. It'll save you money on gas and tires and it will roll fine on that base.

That said, I'm new to this world. But there are a lot of great 400-600 pound trailers on this site.

That's an option, I read on another thread that you could order the parts from HF for cheap, I'm calling them tomorrow. If I can get the super duty axle then it's just plug and play and I'll be all set. Regardless, I'm working on building as light as I can so I do agree with your advice, I guess the hot tub in the back is not a good idea anymore :D
ToadSprockett
Teardrop Builder

Postby M C Toyer » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:23 pm

Sprockett -

Where are you located?

I you decide to change out your axle and springs I've got one for sale that might work for you.

It has a 2-1/2" outside diameter outer tube and measures 54" between the flanges for the brake backing plates so would be approximately 62" hub face to hub face. The brakes are not installed.

It has 5 x 4-1/2" hubs. The bearings are in place but I do not know the size. The thick part of the spindles is 2" outside diameter. The previous owner had a 3500# axle shortened but passed away before he finished the trailer so the moving parts are essentially new.

It has 24" long x 2" wide double leaf slipper springs attached to the axle with U-bolts, The spring perches are not welded so the placement is flexible either above or below the axle.

The wheels and tires are not included.

M C
M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Postby vincigj » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:46 am

If MC offer doesn't work here is more info. Just yesterday i bought from Red Trailer 2x 23 rated at 1000 each 3 leaf slippers for $62. There web site pick parts wait and wait. Scroll down to find springs. 53 choices. Good luck.
vincigj
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Tomterrific » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:53 am

How heavy is your trailer going to be? I carry a motorcycle in mine and it never bottoms out the springs. It is a light duty trailer.

I thought about a new axle but it would be a torsion to drop the ride height

An idea. Instead of getting new leaf springs, install a set of cheap motorcycle shocks. You would get a helper spring and damping with MC shocks.

Tom
Columbus, Ohio
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby ToadSprockett » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:50 am

M C Toyer wrote:Sprockett -

Where are you located?

I you decide to change out your axle and springs I've got one for sale that might work for you.

It has a 2-1/2" outside diameter outer tube and measures 54" between the flanges for the brake backing plates so would be approximately 62" hub face to hub face. The brakes are not installed.

It has 5 x 4-1/2" hubs. The bearings are in place but I do not know the size. The thick part of the spindles is 2" outside diameter. The previous owner had a 3500# axle shortened but passed away before he finished the trailer so the moving parts are essentially new.

It has 24" long x 2" wide double leaf slipper springs attached to the axle with U-bolts, The spring perches are not welded so the placement is flexible either above or below the axle.

The wheels and tires are not included.

M C

I'm in Idaho, that would be a great option if you are close. :)
ToadSprockett
Teardrop Builder

Postby ToadSprockett » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:52 am

vincigj wrote:If MC offer doesn't work here is more info. Just yesterday i bought from Red Trailer 2x 23 rated at 1000 each 3 leaf slippers for $62. There web site pick parts wait and wait. Scroll down to find springs. 53 choices. Good luck.

I'll look again, I found their site confusing, thanks :)
ToadSprockett
Teardrop Builder

Postby ToadSprockett » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:54 am

Tomterrific wrote:How heavy is your trailer going to be? I carry a motorcycle in mine and it never bottoms out the springs. It is a light duty trailer.

I thought about a new axle but it would be a torsion to drop the ride height

An idea. Instead of getting new leaf springs, install a set of cheap motorcycle shocks. You would get a helper spring and damping with MC shocks.

Tom

I don't know, I'm trying to stay light, but even if I do, I need the peace of mind. Next summer we want to go to Disneyland in California and use the trailer to save costs :)
ToadSprockett
Teardrop Builder

Postby M C Toyer » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:15 am

Sprockett wrote:

Can't get much farther from Texas; sorry but the freight cost would make it more than its worth.

Can I ask which part of Idaho? Father's family is from there and I'm planning a trip back next year.

M C
M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Postby ToadSprockett » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:51 am

M C Toyer wrote:
Sprockett wrote:

Can't get much farther from Texas; sorry but the freight cost would make it more than its worth.

Can I ask which part of Idaho? Father's family is from there and I'm planning a trip back next year.

M C

Boise, we love it here, lots of places to go camping and fishing :)

I'll see what Harbor Freight says today, I've heard they can sell just the parts...

-Paul-
ToadSprockett
Teardrop Builder

Postby ToadSprockett » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:01 pm

Harbor Freight said the 1720 axle will not fit because it's round and mine is square. Can anyone validate that?

I would think if I ordered the springs, and the axle with the bolts, it will all fit. Unless the 1720 has longer springs...

I'd rather get it from them because the price is SOOO much better...

Thanks
-Paul-
ToadSprockett
Teardrop Builder

Postby Jack Olsen » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:26 pm

Well, I'm a newbie myself, so I'm going to mention this one more time and then leave it alone. In my research, the utility trailers used as platforms for teardrops are usually too stiffly sprung -- because the finished weight of most 4x8 or 5x8 teardrops are nowhere near the capacity of the axles of the common utility trailers. Viewed another way, with a suspension designed for a given capacity, the utility trailer will have worse handling characteristics when it is lightly loaded or empty than when it is at or near its capacity. I've read numerous mentions of the workaround of removing leaves to reduce the capacity of the suspension in order to have it be closer to the actual laden weight of the teardrop so that it will be less skittish behind a tow vehicle. So again, to my ear it sounds like you're right about where you'd want to be if you want an easy-to-tow (and safe) teardrop.

Aside from that, the poor towing manners of teardrops seems to come from low tongue weight (which you can counteract with your design) and leaf springs themselves (especially without any dampening). So if you're going to go looking for another axle (which I don't think is necessary), then I would look for a torsion type axle, which -- again -- is supposed to improve the towing characteristics of something that is so large relative to its weight (compared to other types of trailers).

But again, I'm a novice, working on second-hand information. So take what I say with a grain of salt.
Jack Olsen
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:38 pm

Jack Olsen wrote:Well, I'm a newbie myself, so I'm going to mention this one more time and then leave it alone. In my research, the utility trailers used as platforms for teardrops are usually too stiffly sprung -- because the finished weight of most 4x8 or 5x8 teardrops are nowhere near the capacity of the axles of the common utility trailers. Viewed another way, with a suspension designed for a given capacity, the utility trailer will have worse handling characteristics when it is lightly loaded or empty than when it is at or near its capacity. I've read numerous mentions of the workaround of removing leaves to reduce the capacity of the suspension in order to have it be closer to the actual laden weight of the teardrop so that it will be less skittish behind a tow vehicle. So again, to my ear it sounds like you're right about where you'd want to be if you want an easy-to-tow (and safe) teardrop.

Aside from that, the poor towing manners of teardrops seems to come from low tongue weight (which you can counteract with your design) and leaf springs themselves (especially without any dampening). So if you're going to go looking for another axle (which I don't think is necessary), then I would look for a torsion type axle, which -- again -- is supposed to improve the towing characteristics of something that is so large relative to its weight (compared to other types of trailers).

But again, I'm a novice, working on second-hand information. So take what I say with a grain of salt.

I'm with Jack,
Unless you are building something super heavy, then I think the light duty setup should be fine. The round vs square HF axle issue could be solved by using the ubolts that come with the new axle.
Northern tool is also a good resource for springs/axles
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby ToadSprockett » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:33 pm

I can get all the parts, and that's EVERYTHING for $90. The only upgrade I'm going to do is get the new axle with the hubs, and the bolts. When I'm done building I'll see how it tows and make changes if needed. I plan on building as light as I can, but I just want to make sure that I don't stress the axle if we take it up the lake over dirt roads. I'll be towing this with a jeep, so stronger is always better.

I have to say the Harbor Freight was really good to work with, some parts will take some time, but they were very helpful

-Paul-
ToadSprockett
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets