Windows 10

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Windows 10

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:15 am

Has anyone tried Windows 10 yet?
I tried it for a few days and wasn't impressed so I'm back to Windows 7.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Re: Windows 10

Postby SmokeyBob » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:39 am

I'm using windows 10 on my PC. I don't see where it's any better, just different. How did you go back to 7.
Pics for Building the Alegria I
To view video click Here

Bob & Judith
SmokeyBob
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby lrrowe » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:25 pm

Good question.
I have Vista and have read that I should not consider W10 bc my system is perhaps too old. It is probably 10+ years old.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby jstrubberg » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:23 pm

Windows 10 is OK. I can't say I've seen anything that was dramatically better about it than Windows 7. I do wish that Microsoft would stop trying to shove the tile interface down everyone's throat. It's bloated, ugly and unprofessional.

We've done quite a bit of testing to make sure all of our enterprise apps will work with it. So far the only issues we have had are with the new browser.

I will likely upgrade around the first of the year, after the first service pack comes out.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:37 pm

I've tried to install in on 3 computers
1) An older laptop that I use as a server. It won't install because the video driver isn't updated ( nothing newer exists)
2) My desktop ( an older quad core phenom II), it gets almost all the way through and says "something happend", and reverts back to windows 7
FWIW, the windows 10 app says both qualify for the update, but that the vendor hasn't "validated" it yet, so I jumped the gun on the installs

3) My sons PC. Its a recently assembled intel chip. The install seemed to hang, it just kept rebooting, but never getting to a splash screen, this repeated at least a dozen times. I finally reset it, and it said it reverted to windows 7, but I had to reinstall from an image.

So, my word of warning is, you really should do a full system image before trying the install, and don't jump the gun.
Tom

WIndows 10 has a few nice features, like file history that I'm looking forward to. The tile thing is supposed to be better in 10 than in 8, its not much different than the way apps are used on a tablet, so I'm not concerned about it.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:09 pm

SmokeyBob wrote:I'm using windows 10 on my PC. I don't see where it's any better, just different. How did you go back to 7.

Find recovery and you can go back.
Supposedly a 30 day period to go back.

Lots of old stuff with no indication where it is or if it's still there.
It's almost as if they want to make it difficult to use your computer.
It looks like it's mainly to generate revenue by all the "apps" offered.

ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby pchast » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:33 pm

I haven't installed it yet.

I've been reading some articles about privacy problems with win 10. And I understand that MS is using upgraded computers(yours) to help distribute updates to others instead of just its own server farms.... I understand there are settings. You will likely want to change them.
:shock:
Please check it out and be aware if you are in a Bandwidth limited situation like cell hotspots.
:thinking:
Last edited by pchast on Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Bill n Robi » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:34 pm

You can always spot the pioneers by the arrows sticking out of their back.
Anything free is worth what you pay for it. You will end up paying in two years

You wont be able to stop MS updates even if you don't want them, and they never made a mistake before and no one could create a fake update and send it out.

Security is a nightmare:
http://www.slate.com/articles/technolog ... _them.html

Hope you never do anything secure over your WiFi:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07 ... i-sharing/
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby Gold5one » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:36 pm

Mandatory Win10 updating already broke the drivers on one of my special programs- the reviews say Win10 will legally spy on you, if you use the cloud. I am afraid that Cortana will end up not being your friend in the end.
I noticed that Walmart had a nice Win 8.1 laptop with DVDRW maked down for $199- I think I will buy one for a spare, when we have the no sales tax (back to school) week in 2 more days.
"the slow road has the most adventure"
Mark

2022- Trek Freedom camper- journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74522

Weekender-XL build journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61445
sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:37 pm

Windows 10 is a cloud based OS. You are typically logged into MS to use your computer, and everything you type goes to MS. Privacy? NOT...

http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/001115.html

Changing your browser back to Firefox is not exactly easy...

http://microsoft-news.com/mozilla-isnt- ... indows-10/

Oh wait, it gets better. Your bandwidth is shared with the rest of the world. Here's some links, thanks to Tony...

http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/001116.html

You get the idea...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Glenn Butcher » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:00 pm

It's downloading to my tablet as I type this. We bought my wife a Surface 3 a couple of weeks ago, and I upgraded it to 10 last weekend. Definitely better as a desktop OS, and it seems to retain the tablet goodness that 8.1 had. Yes, I said that. Really, on a tablet Win8.1 works well, IMHO. And, I could desktop-compute on it when I travel, saves me about 2 pounds in the backpack, not having to carry a laptop and its charger.

I got rather fond of IE 11 on the tablet, but Edge on the Surface didn't work too well, locked up a couple of times. IE 11 is the best tablet browser I've used, and I tried them all.

I'm going to lock down the privacy settings on both, instructions to do so not hard to find on the web.

But, for all that, I'm keeping my Ubuntu desktop computer as-is.
Glenn Butcher
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:42 pm

Hmmmm,I was thinking of upgrading my PC equipment (10yr+ old) and software (Vista) sometime in the near future. But just maybe all of these MS moves should give me more reasons to think about a more pricey move to Apple.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:59 pm

lrrowe wrote:Hmmmm,I was thinking of upgrading my PC equipment (10yr+ old) and software (Vista) sometime in the near future. But just maybe all of these MS moves should give me more reasons to think about a more pricey move to Apple.

My wife has an Apple Ipad and had to download to the new operating system a few months ago.
The thing consumes power like a jet engine.
Even when it's off, the battery drains down to almost nothing.
She even turned off a bunch of stuff.
We now carry one of those 12 volt battery starters when on a trip so it doesn't drain the car battery like it did in May. :thumbdown:
She will look for something else next time.
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:15 pm

There are ways. I built our PC to run Windows 10 and I am working to shut off most of the problematic bits and pieces http://www.networkworld.com/article/2957205/microsoft-subnet/tweaks-to-windows-10-settings-for-privacy.html
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby SmokeyBob » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:47 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:
SmokeyBob wrote:I'm using windows 10 on my PC. I don't see where it's any better, just different. How did you go back to 7.

Find recovery and you can go back.
Supposedly a 30 day period to go back.

Lots of old stuff with no indication where it is or if it's still there.
It's almost as if they want to make it difficult to use your computer.
It looks like it's mainly to generate revenue by all the "apps" offered.

I found recovery but my restore points only go back to the 4th. I installed win 10 when it came out on the 29. Doesn't look like I have 30 days to go back.
Last edited by SmokeyBob on Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pics for Building the Alegria I
To view video click Here

Bob & Judith
SmokeyBob
2000 Club
2000 Club

Next

Return to Off Topic