Do you sew and what do you make

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Do you sew and what do you make

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:33 am

We sew and were wondering what things you have made for camping.

We have done curtains.
But I am wondering about plate holders, bags for caring stuff, things that hang on the walls for glasses, pet, kleenx, transport storage, at church when we have dinners and bring your own plate the ladies have made units that hold plate cup and plastic ware it zips closes. canopies anyone, umbrellas, triangle shade units, cooler covers, even hats or camping clothing, flags.

When I had my first machine I made a backpack still have it bad design but I learned from it.

I know there are quilters out there, At the IRG they bring them.

We would all like to see what you made.

Ron and Lucia
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Re: Do you sew and what do you make

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:30 pm

Any Old Sewing Machine Collectors here?
viewtopic.php?t=32398&p=576025
Want to sew covers for teardrop tires -- any patterns?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63934

and we have several most we got free. or for $10 at a garage sale. for $70 we got a machine, table, and bench with thread and patterns.
2 are old ones, 2 or out of the 80's and her mom has an old black singer, and another sewing table with refurbished machine for $20.

People do not know how to sew more and more and you can find a good machine for little to nothing.

look up free patterns on line.

got any site to add where you go for sewing or a sewing forum that might help others.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby ZugZug » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:47 am

I do sew, and discovered quilting recently which has been fun.

Have made 3 quilts now - all of them with my teardrop in mind (I still don't have it yet, and the wait has been long, hence the multiple quilts).

Some pics - posted them somewhere else as well in the lady teardroppers section (quilting bee thread I think)

I think the scraps quilt is my favourite actually (although the green one is also pretty nice).
The scraps quilt basically cost nothing except the fabric for the back and the binding. The rest was literally stuff I had lying around. And in spite of that, it's really quite cute.

Also a bit on the small size for a queen size bed so hopefully a good fit for the camper when it eventually arrives.

I have thought about sewing other things, including:
- dish drainer mini-quilt (to catch the drips under the dish rack - and doubling as somewhere to put down a hot pot and padding between things to stop them rattling while driving along)
- drawer dividers (but I'm not sure and it depends on the drawer. A simple ply divider may work better)

I did also make a cushion cover which has an applique of the teardrop itself - but I'm not sure if I like it yet so not game to post that photo :)

I love the idea of sewing a canopy cover, but haven't yet attempted it. Would love to hear from someone else who's done this and see pics
ZugZug
Teardrop Builder

Postby 39Ratrod » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:50 am

I sew a lot of my backpacking gear. Mostly stuff from ripstop nylon. Hammocks and stuff sacks.
The biggest difference between a dreamer and a doer is the follow through.
39Ratrod
Teardrop Master

Postby Jack Olsen » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:28 am

My mother raised three girls and three boys. All of us had to learn how to sew.

I don't do much sewing any more, but I do keep a $50 machine in the garage. When I had to make a shade cover for my back-yard deck and pergola, the sewing machine came out.

Now, my sister ACTUALLY knows her way around a sewing machine. She made my daughter's quilt (and I used a trash-salvaged headboard to make the bed it's sitting on).

Jack Olsen
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ae6black » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:16 pm

I sort of do. have made 4 or 5 quilts, backpack which turned out pretty good and the covers for my TD mattress. The mattress cover isn't pretty, but serves the purpose. Nobody sees it anyhow, it's got sheets and a ugly looking quilt on it that my mother made about 40 years ago. Course, I am not all that impressed by anything I've made when I compare it to God's handiwork who made everything out there where I camp. That the stuff I really like to look at.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby springdew » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:08 pm

I used to make crude Medieval clothes but I no longer participate. Now I make various Indian style garments. Also bags for special purposes, like one for storing the components of a parade banner - several segments of PVC and the banner itself. I don't like quilting but I did cheat one by combining fragments of T-shirts with an old, thin comforter. If I can find a pic I'll post it.
For everything there is in this world, there is someone who likes it.
Planning and build journal for Yiayia's Waggon: At Home on the Road

Spring Dew Foulger
springdew
Teardrop Advisor

Postby springdew » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:11 pm

Oh also vests and sashes for scouts.

Spring Dew Foulger
springdew
Teardrop Advisor

Postby springdew » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:52 pm

Here we go.

Also made some not-quite-slipcovers for two sofas, but they aren't very lovely. They're concocted from fleece blankets and paracord, so that the dogs can't knock them askew in all their excitement. Essentially you do a big hem on two ends of the blanket, run the paracord through, and place the blanket so that one end is behind the sofa and one end at the bottom front. Tie the cord and bob's your uncle. If the doggies are likely to chew the cord, wipe it with tabasco.

Spring Dew Foulger
springdew
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:54 pm

When I first read this thread, I thought: “I don’t sew much anymore”. But then, I realized that, while that was true of my own clothes, I still do sew.

Besides making the curtains and upholstery for my trailer:

I also made curtains for my home:

Christmas presents for relatives:

I am currently making craft items, like these pet stockings, for a friend’s new gift shop:

So, yes, I guess I do still sew!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Cosmo » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:36 pm

Trailer curtains.

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby dales133 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:39 pm

Cosmo wrote:Trailer curtains.

Love that camper,did you build or buy it
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Cosmo » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:48 pm

Thanks. I am having a great time with the trailer.
Bought it. http://www.vistabule.com.

Regards
Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby springdew » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:13 pm

Nice work, y'all!

Been at it again. Besides clothes, made a set of fabric weights - essentially bean bags with rice in for helping my fabric or pattern stay put. I had some instant rice that had been used to dry out a cell phone and didn't want it to get eaten.

Also modified a car seat cover to fit on my truck seat. It needed a channel for running an anchor cord through along the back edge.

Found a pillow to go behind my back when I drive, but it was a bit too long and the filler was too thin for my lower back, so i folded up the bottom third and stitched it in place. Fits great now.

Much of my sewing is about fixing and repurposing.

Spring Dew Foulger
springdew
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:00 pm

I've done a couple of motorcycle seats, including a pillion pad with inlaid flame pattern (black over yellow with airbrushed orange fade).

I upholstered a large ottoman that I built. I couldn't find welting that I liked so I made my own by wrapping an iridescent translucent purple ribbon over some blue satin ribbon and welting cord to make it really pop on the royal purple fabric. The ottoman has really served us well, but is showing its age now and is due for reupholstering.

I made a set of matching curtains for the windows at the top and bottom of our staircase, including tie-backs, and a lounging pillow.

Occasionally I'll darn a hole in one of my work shirts or hand stitch something. At work I use a Speedy Stitcher for the continuous loop polyester tramp oil skimmer belts we use in our production waste water treatment system. I've also used it for the Velcro straps on my knee pads, and for redoing the stitching on the leather belt tube/flap on my tool pouch. It weighs about 35 lbs so I throw the belt over my shoulder and carry it like a satchel.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Next

Return to User Polls