Trailer? How does this one look?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Trailer? How does this one look?

Postby JenniferandPups » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:02 pm

I''m wanting to build a 12' campster12...how does something like this, specs of 7'x12' look? It's too long from what I'm seeing on the campster specs, unless they are measuring tongue to end, but is that easy to deal with? It's a great price WITH brakes. ($200)
JenniferandPups
Teardrop Master

Re: Trailer? How does this one look?

Postby KCStudly » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:13 pm

How does it look in person?

Could be a good deal, but you have to figure all of the effort and potential parts replacement if things are worn out to bring it up to good condition (tires, bearings, brakes, jack, coupler, springs, shackle hardware and bushings, etc.). If the wheel bearings have not been kept lubed, or there have been bearing failures in the past, the spindles could have damage. If the wheels are especially rusty, they may need replacing. Any and all of those things take time and money to fix, so you have to know what your risks and capabilities are before committing to a "good deal".

Unless you can positively assess the condition and tick some items off the list, then you are really just looking at a rusty steel frame. If it is not the size you want, then you may be looking at more work, time and money than you would be just starting with a new trailer, even if it is a custom built one.

I'm not trying to sway you one way or another, you might be able to buy that, build a camper on it and have it last a long time w/o even touching it, but if your goal is to know that you are starting a major project on a solid footing, and you plan to build a reliable long lived camper, then you need to factor the restoration into the equation.

Are you asking the question because you are uncomfortable inspecting the trailer yourself? If so we can help you learn what to look for, or maybe even find someone qualified in your area that would be willing to take a look with you.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby JenniferandPups » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:34 pm

KCStudly wrote:How does it look in person?

Could be a good deal, but you have to figure all of the effort and potential parts replacement if things are worn out to bring it up to good condition (tires, bearings, brakes, jack, coupler, springs, shackle hardware and bushings, etc.). If the wheel bearings have not been kept lubed, or there have been bearing failures in the past, the spindles could have damage. If the wheels are especially rusty, they may need replacing. Any and all of those things take time and money to fix, so you have to know what your risks and capabilities are before committing to a "good deal".

Unless you can positively assess the condition and tick some items off the list, then you are really just looking at a rusty steel frame. If it is not the size you want, then you may be looking at more work, time and money than you would be just starting with a new trailer, even if it is a custom built one.

I'm not trying to sway you one way or another, you might be able to buy that, build a camper on it and have it last a long time w/o even touching it, but if your goal is to know that you are starting a major project on a solid footing, and you plan to build a reliable long lived camper, then you need to factor the restoration into the equation.

Are you asking the question because you are uncomfortable inspecting the trailer yourself? If so we can help you learn what to look for, or maybe even find someone qualified in your area that would be willing to take a look with you.

Good questions~ I am definitely asking because I am a bit on the inexperienced side with trailers in general. I am not entirely confident on what do look for on a bare trailer frame, aside from looking at it.

And, it's gone as of a minute ago, so now a more theoretical question, for the next time something pops up like this. :D
JenniferandPups
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:52 pm

Okay, then, if you don't have experience rebuilding old junk trailers, and you really just want to get out camping sometime in the next couple of years, I would highly suggest that you start with something in much better condition (perhaps new), follow a proven, simple, and well documented build that looks like it matches your needs, triple your time estimate, double your cost estimate, and get stuck in to it. :thumbsup:

Don't underestimate the time and space commitment required to get it to come out the way you envision it (I did :? :D ).
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby JenniferandPups » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:14 pm

KCStudly wrote:Okay, then, if you don't have experience rebuilding old junk trailers, and you really just want to get out camping sometime in the next couple of years, I would highly suggest that you start with something in much better condition (perhaps new), follow a proven, simple, and well documented build that looks like it matches your needs, triple your time estimate, double your cost estimate, and get stuck in to it. :thumbsup:

Don't underestimate the time and space commitment required to get it to come out the way you envision it (I did :? :D ).

Good advice! First trailer build, but I come from an in depth history of old house and not so old remodeling/fix up, so I've got the doubling and tripling down already. ;)

The campster looks really straight forward...at least the woodworking parts. :D
JenniferandPups
Teardrop Master

Postby DrewsBrews » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:55 am

Yeah people around my area think there is gold in trailers for some reason. The rustiest, bent, ceased bearing, flat 20 yr old tire "trailer" still commands $250 on Craigslist. I guess scrap prices keep the value up? Many bare frames like that have sat for years and years totally neglected until the camper got so rotted out and nasty they finally decided to trash the top and sell the frame. Unless you get lucky and find one that was kept in good order, probably the only way to actually come out ahead on a frame rebuild project is to get it for free to begin with. Even new tires will likely set you back over $100 and riding long distances on old tires sounds like a recipe for a blowout in the middle of nowhere.
Last edited by DrewsBrews on Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:34 am, edited 7 times in total.
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:08 am

DrewsBrews wrote:Yeah people around my area think there is gold in trailers for some reason. The rustiest, bent, ceased bearing, flat 20 yr old tire "trailer" still commands $250 on Craigslist. Probably the only way to actually come out ahead on a frame rebuild project is to get it for free to begin with.

Yep same here.
I picked up a free trailer to fix up and sell and ended up spending to much on it to sell.
My advice on secondhand trailers is similar to kcs except id say this.
Look at it realy criticaly and if more than 3 componants need replacing walk away.
If 2 need replacing your probably ok.
I had to rewire the lights,replace the hitch,one tyre,the floor and respray the repairs and even those small jobs blew the budget and i got it for free and i did it all myself.
So just be critical and err on the side of caution
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby JenniferandPups » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:30 am

This is really good advice, y'all. I know I am sometimes too hasty on the used "deal"...I've learned with house remodeling where that line is (I've been of the pounding nails straight variety at times in my life... :lol: Not now. )
JenniferandPups
Teardrop Master

Postby angib » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:19 pm

That trailer has a fairly high deck height for a Campster so you either get a very high trailer or a low interior height. And the dropped footwell of the Campster won't fit in between the main rails easily, though that doesn't stop it being used.

So it's not an ideal starting point and after you put in lots of hard work, you might wish you had started with something more suitable.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby martymcfly » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:43 pm

If you consider using this frame, the height can be changed. Look to see if you can flip the axle above the springs or change the brackets or both.
martymcfly
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:28 am

Picture looks like a drop spindle axle mounted over the springs, so not much more you can do there. Regardless, it is a moot point since the OP has already indicated that the trailer is no longer for sale/sold.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets