Bolt-together Trailers in Canada

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Bolt-together Trailers in Canada

Postby Henry Benner » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:08 pm

Good news. Bolt-together trailers similar to Red Trailer and Harbour Freight units are available in Canada!

Check out these web sites:

http://foldingtrailers.ca (Ontario)
https://www.salterboat.com
http://www.t4bmotorsports.com (Calgary)

I bought one from t4bmotorsports a few weeks ago (for $580 cdn) and am impressed with the quality of the unit.
It comes in 3 heavy boxes (one is 45 KG) but you could always unpack the boxes to get the parts into a small car. (Longest piece is the axle at 60")
Comes with good instructions but I found the on-line PDF assembly file better. The booklet that's included
is poorly printed.

After assembly it looks identical to Red Trailer SJ-8530 and the specs are very similar.
The wheels have a sticker warning users not to exceed 55 mph. Sounds like a disclaimer to me...I've run my
other trailer at 70 mph and have 60K miles on it without any problems...just keep the bearings packed with grease.

The trailer is made by Changzhou Nanxiashu Tool in China; it's Canada DOT approved and comes with
certification paperwork and nameplate. No problem registering it in Alberta...no inspection required.

The literature says the ball should be 1-7/8" but the receiver is actually 2".

This winter I'll build a foamy on the new trailer. Because it's bolt-together I can try different construction configurations.
I'm itching to start right now but I have yard work to finish...how inconvenient!

I'm addicted to these tiny trailers to the point where I need 2 trailers, one that I use for camping, another for experimenting.
Henry Benner
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Bolt-together Trailers in Canada

Postby boffingham » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:14 pm

Hi Henry,

Thanks for the info, I am looking for a 5 x 8 trailer in Canada but have had no luck so far. Good luck with your Project.

Boffingham
Ottawa, Canada
boffingham
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Bolt-together Trailers in Canada

Postby Henry Benner » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:27 pm

Yes, a 5' by 8' in my opinion is the right size for a trailer. (And a torsion bar axle.) But the best I've been able to find that's suitable for a teardrop trailer in Canada has been 4'x8'.
Which means I have to build out over the wheels. That extra foot of interior width makes a big difference in usability.

You might be able to find an old tent trailer frame at a wrecking yard that's wide enough.
Check about registering it though...you might need to get it inspected and certified. In Alberta that's an extra $209 and a trip to a "certified inspection facility". (Probably similar in other provinces.)

I've heard too that if you bring in a trailer from the US it needs to go through this certification procedure before you can register it. Customs will not allow a
trailer that's been imported into the US into Canada. It has to be imported directly into Canada. So, for example, Harbor Freight trailers bought in US (but made in China) cannot be
brought here.

If anyone out there in TNTTT land know of a way to get around this I'd like to know about it.
Henry Benner
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets