Windows 10

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: Windows 10

Postby MtnDon » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:54 pm

Going back is called downgrading....

http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-to- ... -7-or-8.1/
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby SmokeyBob » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:30 pm

I found the right recovery so I'm back to Win 7. :thumbsup:
Pics for Building the Alegria I
To view video click Here

Bob & Judith
SmokeyBob
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby MtnDon » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:54 pm

Windows 10 is great on a device with a touch screen. Better than Win 8.1, IMO. We have an Asus 8" and a 10" that both came with 8.1. They are now Win 10 and we still love them, maybe love them even more.

We also have laptops, a 15" (Win 7) and a 17" (Win 8.1 and touch) and a desktop running 8.1. To me the touch screen on the laptop is a minor feature. I use the keyboard mostly. I use a mouse and screen touch interchangably for different tasks.

I like the way Win 7 operates. However I truly dislike having different operating systems on different machines. So the two laptops will get converted to Win 10 someday soon.

The desktop will probably not be changed though. Reason for that is Win 10 no longer has MS Media Center. The desktop is our entertainment machine. It has two dual channel TV cards; It is our DV-R and can record 4 channels at once. As well it is our music, photo and video center. So far I have not found an alternate to MS Media Center that I like. Win 8.1 support ends in January 2023, so we're good till then for TV. :)
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mustangcats » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:58 am

I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10 as soon as it came out. It took me a while to figure out how to make Firefox my browser and some other things are different as well. I figured I might as well take the plunge and upgrade because sooner or later Microsoft "forces" you to upgrade to a newer system. For years I had Windows XP and loved it but now it is no longer supported. Over the years I have gone through several of the operating systems, and while it was a frustrating learning experience with each system, I soon got used to them. :)
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby Jiminsav » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:08 pm

love it..built a new tower just for it, but the beta versions even ran good on my old hardware..i did have one problem when it went from beta, to production, but wiping out the beta and going to straight production fixed that issue..i like it. :thumbsup:
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:58 pm

Now with more experience I am basically happy with it on the desktop. much of its phone how is disconnected and any one that thinks thy have privacy on line with out a LOT of effort is dreaming.I have addblock plus and Privacy Badger and PB tells me how much in blocks, on this page it is 2 items, on Daily Kos it may be 20 or more items.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:02 am

I finally got it installed on mine collection as well. MS still has some things to fix on the installations. On my PC, the issue was that I had moved my libraries to a different partition, and the libraries were too big to fit on the C: drive. Once I lied to the system and told it my libraries were empty it completed the install. On my son's system, its a more interesting story. His PC was built around a g3258 Intel chip. Apparently, these are easy to overclock, and most of the bios include that ability. Well, intel issued some "microcode" to MS that results in a "reboot loop". This comes up if you run the Win10 installation, but the bastards also rolled out a win7 update that caused the same problem. To install on his, I had to disable one of the processors, then do the install, then go in and disable the microcode, then I could turn the 2nd processor back on.
I'm happy with Win10. It was pretty easy to figure out. I'm not happy that they force updates on you, and they are sloppy enough to send updates that will completely disable your PC. I've set mine to "defer updates" .
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby deceiver » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:59 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:
lrrowe wrote:Hmmmm,I was thinking of upgrading my PC equipment (10yr+ old) and software (Vista) sometime in the near future. But just maybe all of these MS moves should give me more reasons to think about a more pricey move to Apple.

My wife has an Apple Ipad and had to download to the new operating system a few months ago.
The thing consumes power like a jet engine.
Even when it's off, the battery drains down to almost nothing.
She even turned off a bunch of stuff.
We now carry one of those 12 volt battery starters when on a trip so it doesn't drain the car battery like it did in May. :thumbdown:
She will look for something else next time.
:D Danny

Strange. It would probably take 6 months to drain a car battery using an ipad. Must be something else.
Conform and be dull.
deceiver
The 300 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:05 pm

I found out later the 6 month old battery was most likely defective since I replaced it in May with an identical Costco battery & no problems since.
The ipad gets hot when it charges.
It did run that battery down & I'm sticking to my story.
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby deceiver » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:12 am

halfdome, Danny wrote:I found out later the 6 month old battery was most likely defective since I replaced it in May with an identical Costco battery & no problems since.
The ipad gets hot when it charges.
It did run that battery down & I'm sticking to my story.

My wife often charges her ipad by pluging the USB portion of her charger into my laptop. It charges in about 2 hrs and doesn't seem to lessen the battery life of my laptop much. Her ipad produces little/no heat (unlike my old laptop by the way.. I can fry my lap with it). Maybe something is wrong with the ipad? Her experience should be better. Might save having to switch devices. I know that I want a solid state laptop without a hard drive for traveling. Cooler, lighter, and fast charging with long battery life that way. Ah.. someday....
Conform and be dull.
deceiver
The 300 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:33 pm

Upon returning home I found Windows 10 updating and installing on my machine without my consent. :thumbdown:
I figure I'll eventually have to use it, & since it gave me options this time, I turned off all possible data mining and removed all those so called dumb apps from the start menu.
Now it acts almost like windows 7 and I can live with it I guess.
We hardly watch TV any more because of all the ads and now they seem to be targeting the computer.
Guess I'll eventually have to :throw PC: and go make something in the shop.
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:33 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:Upon returning home I found Windows 10 updating and installing on my machine without my consent. :thumbdown:
I figure I'll eventually have to use it, & since it gave me options this time, I turned off all possible data mining and removed all those so called dumb apps from the start menu.
Now it acts almost like windows 7 and I can live with it I guess.
We hardly watch TV any more because of all the ads and now they seem to be targeting the computer.
Guess I'll eventually have to :throw PC: and go make something in the shop.

Someone already did, it's called Linux.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:00 pm

I've grabbed an old macbook pro and loaded ubuntu on it.

Been using it for a few days now, and it's really gotten quite comfortable. I sign up my members with Ubuntu, and read and write to the forum with ubuntu.

So far no nasty surprises...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby jstrubberg » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:25 pm

Ubuntu works very well unless you need to use proprietary components of any kind ( I always end up needing directX for something ). They also have a very active user community and developer base.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby CarverED » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:18 pm

I downloaded Windows 10, and for me it's been nothing but trouble. My HP printer stopped working. I tried downloading a Windows 10 driver for my HP printer. HP downloads a driver but when I try to load it it says it for Windows 8. Tried to reload my HP software and it won't run because it is for Windows 7. I even tried to buy a new printer, but every printer in the stores now are not compatible with Windows 10.Tried to restore to Windows 7 and it says I must have a disc with EVERYTHING because I will lose it all. Sound cards, video card, you name it, about 30 items I will lose. Even if I had it all, it would be a nightmare tying to reinstall it all. Windows 10 for me was a bad move. I have an Apple laptop and will stick with it. I should have know better after years of Microsoft's screw ups.
CarverED
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic