Towing with a BMW 3 series convertible

All about towing and tow vehicles

Towing with a BMW 3 series convertible

Postby kookenotes » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:03 am

Does anyone have experience towing with a BMW convertible. My Toyota Sequoia was totaled last week by a drunk driver with a revoked license from a previous DUI and no insurance. I feel like someone shot my trusty horse. Until I figure out what to get as a replacement, my only option is my 2.5 liter, BMW convertible with a 5 speed manual transmission, that currently has no hitch. My Teardrop is a 5 X 8 that weighs about 1,100# loaded with a tongue weight of 120#. I think the car could pull it with no problems but before I pay Uhaul the $400 for a hitch and wiring, I thought I should look for input from the forum. I would welcome any thoughts, positive or negative. I'd hate to loose the camping season. Bill
kookenotes
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Towing with a BMW 3 series convertible

Postby Jerry Bleeg » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:37 pm

I tow with a 2003 325I Wagon with a 5 speed. My trailer is about your size and weight. It works great. That straight 6 has tremendous torque and can really lug down in higher gears. My suggestion is just take it slow when engaging the clutch starting out. Once in gear and the clutch is out, it pulls like a freight train thru all the gears. I also tow with a 95 Acura Legend with a 3.2 liter motor. It has far less power than the BMW, but then it is a automatic.
Go for it. I installed my hitch and wiring myself. Pretty easy. Hitch is made by Curt and it came with a two inch ball. Bought it from a ebay supplier. Kind of a Euro style coupler. PM me if you want a pic. Jerry
Jerry Bleeg
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Jack Olsen » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:29 pm

I recently added a hitch to my 2007 328i. It has the (GM-sourced) automatic transmission. I would never go to U-haul, though. If you're even a little bit handy, it's very straightforward to put on your own hitch. Mine cost $106 on Amazon. Then all you need to do is tie in the wiring for the connector to the trailer lights. The whole deal wasn't much more than an hour's work.

Jack Olsen
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Sheddie » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:48 am

Hi Bill, sorry to here about the Toyota.
The BMW should have no issues at all with towing your TD. Our 5x10 TD is 620kg, or about 250lbs heavier than yours, with around 130lbs on the hitch. One of the tow vehicles we use is a 1986 Ford Capri 2.8 injection (the red one below), v6 with 5 speed manual, handles it no problem. Your BMW will most likely have more power and better brakes (the brakes on the 2.8i Capris were known for being pretty hopeless), driven to the conditions it should give you no problems.
The car we have towed the TD with the most is a 1962 Ford Capri (the green one below), 1.5 4cyl, 4 speed and overdrive (on 2,3&4). It also does the job very well. But the big thing is, drive to the conditions, use your gears on the hills (both up and down the hills), and make sure to allow a bit more space from the vehicles in front.
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby kookenotes » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:06 am

Jerry, Jack and Frank - Thanks for the great information. It sounds like I should have no problems as long as I apply a little common sense in the process. I will also give serious thought to installing it myself. I found the appropriate Curt hitch on line and will probably buy that and install it myself. I guess I will have to me much more disciplined when it comes to packing gear in the tow vehicle. With the Toyota Sequoia, I could pack about half of my house including chairs, tables, coolers and cast iron and not worry about space. It will be a lot more fun to have the BMW along for the Fall color. I can always rely on this forum for great input and really appreciate the guidance. :beer:
kookenotes
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Alan_H » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:29 pm

Hi Bill,

I am also sorry to hear about your truck. I hope no one was seriously hurt! We can replace "things" much easier than people.

Go to etrailer.com and check with them on hitches for your Beemer. I have gotten several hitches from them, including the Curt you mentioned, and they are always great prices and fast shipping. Get the wiring harness adapter and in less than an hour you can be ready to go.

BTW, I have family in Roswell and Marrietta... fun folks! I live in ATL for a couple years myself, and get back up that way whenever I can.
Alan_H
Lifetime member

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles