Need tips on squaring HF 1780 frame

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Need tips on squaring HF 1780 frame

Postby Werdahekrwe » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:36 pm

Update on the "Foam Duck"Bought an HF 1780 (with 5 stud wheels and spindles with grease fittings) a few weeks ago and have it nearly complete. Just need to clean and grease the bearings and add the tongue jnck. Need any and all tips on squaring the frame. Tried the old geometric formula 3sq+4sq on 2 legs = 5sq on third leg IF IT IS SQUARE. But that is just one half (the back half). Looks great. Read somewhere that getting the same measurement from center point of coupler to both axle centering studs is a good way. Any ideas on making sure everything IS SQUARE is next step. Any/all pointers welcome. Soon as I get it square with a tongue jack added will send pics. :D
Always remember: You can't fly with eagles if all you hang around with are turkeys.
Werdahekrwe
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Need tips on squaring HF 1780 frame

Postby fotooutdoors » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:34 am

The generalized formula is
a^2 + b^2 = c^2
Where a and b are your short sides and c is the third side of your right triangle (a right triangle is one with a 90° corner). So, assuming the trailer sides are actually 4' x 8', then the diagonal between corners should be 8' 11 1/4"
fotooutdoors
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Redneck Teepee » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:56 am

Measure from corner to corner diagonally, front right... to rear left and front left.... to rear right.... when they are the same it is square. :D
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby Werdahekrwe » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:06 pm

Thanks (as we say here in West Virginia) a bushel and a peck. At 70yrs+ it "ain't" always easy to remember jr high & high school math. Now all I need is to get my grand son (2nd year colleage & abt 220# of former HS football player) to help me get it out of the garage and put the axle & wheels on it. Pics as soon as I get it out w wheels on it. :D People on this board are always helpful and never look down their noses at those who ask for help :applause:
Always remember: You can't fly with eagles if all you hang around with are turkeys.
Werdahekrwe
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dales133 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:11 pm

Redneck Teepee wrote:Measure from corner to corner diagonally, front right... to rear left and front left.... to rear right.... when they are the same it is square. :D

X2 on that,3 4 5 will work to check the corners independantly but if you check the frame rails for parallel then measure the diagonals your sorted
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby pchast » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:51 pm

Square is a good start. I found I needed to use a string and check that
mine was flat and straight too. I ended up shimming the two squares
together to get a flat base when it was tightened up.

Alignment is also important. I had a helper and measured and adjusted
from corner points and the axle perch to the coupler several times. I
really fussed, likely more than necessary.
:thinking:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Tomterrific » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:34 am

Drop a 4x8 plywood floor on the trailer. It should fit but any racking of the frame will be obvious.

Measuring from corner to corner is best if you don't have the floor yet. An other interesting measurement is the hitch coupler to each hub to get the same distance.

Tomt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby Werdahekrwe » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:53 pm

Thanks again. Man, trying to build the FOAM DUCK and having the DW going through triple bypass in June has been a real rough time. Any of you that believe in the power of prayer, please rember her (Erma Lee) as she has to have another heart cath due to continued chest paines. Been married 49+ years. Can't afford to lose her now. Thanks in advance. :worship:
Werdahekrwe
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ctstaas » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:56 pm

Hi There, I made my frame perfectly square and the plywood was 1/16" out. That 1/16" grew to 1/8" at the hatch and I had some fancy woodworking to do.
Enjoy, Chris
ctstaas
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets