AGM overcharge?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: AGM overcharge?

Postby Dale M. » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:26 am

With 4 of the Trojans T105's you will be adding 248 pounds of battery in your trailer...... Do you really want to do that?

http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/datash ... Sheets.pdf

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:38 am

I had a long discussion with one of the Lifeline/Concord battery engineers and he commented they love the Progressive Dynamics converters because they will get the battery to 100% SOC.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:49 am

I wrote Morningstar and asked if a solar controller could be used to regulate power into the batter from the TV and the answer is yes. The difficulty is that given a nominal 14.5 V from the alternator you might not reach full charge. I plan on trying the PWM Steca controller I have and see what happens.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:09 pm

Dale M. wrote:With 4 of the Trojans T105's you will be adding 248 pounds of battery in your trailer...... Do you really want to do that?

http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/datash ... Sheets.pdf

Dale

Good point. Not really.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:15 pm

The AH per pound is very similar comparing AGM to FLA. You may be able to reduce capacity some as AGM do tolerate more of a discharge though. But this is where LFP batteries really begin to get more interesting. One just has to overcome the initial price shock. If looking at LFP remember you can use more of the battery capacity so you can get away with even less total capacity.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:12 pm

I use a PD4045 with an Interstate AGM battery with no issues. The battery has been in place for 4+ years without any problems. It has been deeply discharged, by accident, twice and recovered just fine. I leave the PD4045 plugged in and charging the battery 24/7/365 when the trailer is not in use.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby vincigj » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:54 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:I wrote Morningstar and asked if a solar controller could be used to regulate power into the batter from the TV and the answer is yes. The difficulty is that given a nominal 14.5 V from the alternator you might not reach full charge. I plan on trying the PWM Steca controller I have and see what happens.

I have very light loads, lighting and phone /tablet charging. Week of to from and at CRA and 32Hr agm did fine without needing a charge. Have a solar panel for charging but took a small charger just in case. My 5watt Chinese made solar charge controller states not to use any other power source to charge the battery through it. It could be $13.00 experiment.
Camping in the fall with shorter day light might require more. Wait and see. Will look into a Morningstar if they have more options.
vincigj
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:18 pm

We have a Moningstar controller, it the PD and charge line from the TV all seem to play well together. I did get a further note from Morningstar that you need to use an MPPT controller if you what to use it as a regulator.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:46 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:I had a long discussion with one of the Lifeline/Concord battery engineers and he commented they love the Progressive Dynamics converters because they will get the battery to 100% SOC.

Thanks Shawdow Catcher. I like that answer.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby David Olson » Tue May 17, 2016 8:34 pm

This thread was started some time ago and it has been some time since it was added to but thought I would give my experience with AGM's
I have 3 AGM Trojan deep cycles. One group 24, a group 27 89 amp/h and a 105 amp/h 2 of them are in campers.
The third one the 105 amp/h is in my uninsulated cabin. It has been in place for 9 years, hooked up to a Morningstar Sunsaver 10 charge controller and a 50 watt solar panel
during the summer it can get over 100+ inside the cabin and winter -20 or less and this battery keeps going strong. I am totally sold on the capability of these brand and type of batteries. They are expensive but I believe you get what you pay for.
Camp Inn 560 Raindrop #541
Out Back 13'

"Count Your Blessings Not Your Troubles"
David Olson
Teardrop Inspector

Postby noseoil » Tue May 17, 2016 11:10 pm

Just to catch up on mine, the group 27 Trojan is working well & the 100 watt panel is charging plenty with summer here now & longer days.

I did upgrade to a different charging module (Morning Star SS10 / 12 volt). The Morning Star has a built-in temperature sensor, so I figured it was cheap insurance. It also has a charge program specifically for the AGM battery. The galley is exposed to the sun in the afternoon (shade tree until about noon) & it gets up to 110 inside now, with daytime highs only in the 90's. My main concern remains the heat with this battery, but everything is working as planned & we have more than enough power so far with the system in place & running. I do like the Trojan battery so far.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets