4" drop axle or torsion axle

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

4" drop axle or torsion axle

Postby Boonecollard » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:40 pm

I'm in the early planning stage of my first teardrop and looking for advise on ride height difference between a 4" drop axle and a torsion axle. Looking for a lower axle with a taller wheel/tire.
Boonecollard
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 4" drop axle or torsion axle

Postby DrewsBrews » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:00 am

Torsion axles can be ordered with just about any starting angle you would want, within reason, in order to give you the desired amount of drop (don't order one of the generic prebuilt ones in that case). At one point I had heard a company made torsion axles that had a splined shaft that allowed you to set this yourself but I am unsure if they are still available. Keep in mind the sag that will result from the rated load placed on them so the starting angle you order should be taller than the desired finished ride height. I have not had a torsion setup, but I imagine there may also be some "break in" and the ride height may drop a bit more after put into service. I have also heard that it is good practice to store the trailer on the jackstands so the torsion axle does not further sag or develop a lean with age.

Ride height on the drop axle will depend on the spring setup and mounted axle orientation: Both the curve of the spring and the height of the hangers, and shackles if double eye springs, will affect the spring height. The axle itself can be ordered with mounts that facilitate mounting under or over the springs... This will have a ride height difference of roughly the height of the axle plus the thickness of the springs. There will also be a sag from the rated load on the springs, so the unloaded ride height measurements will be higher than the finished loaded height. Also, if mounting the axle over the springs, you want to be sure there will be enough room left between the axle and the floor/chassis for the suspension to soak up bumps without making contact.
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:58 am

DrewsBrews wrote:Torsion axles can be ordered with just about any starting angle you would want, within reason, in order to give you the desired amount of drop (don't order one of the generic prebuilt ones in that case).
Dexter Toflex axles are available in 45, 32, 22.5, and 10 degree "down" angles, 0 degree angle, and 10 and 22.5 degree up angles.

DrewsBrews wrote:At one point I had heard a company made torsion axles that had a splined shaft that allowed you to set this yourself but I am unsure if they are still available.
UCF America Flexiride torsion axles are splined and can be adjusted.

DrewsBrews wrote:Keep in mind the sag that will result from the rated load placed on them so the starting angle you order should be taller than the desired finished ride height. I have not had a torsion setup, but I imagine there may also be some "break in" and the ride height may drop a bit more after put into service. I have also heard that it is good practice to store the trailer on the jackstands so the torsion axle does not further sag or develop a lean with age.
Dexter provide specs for deflection for "no load", "full load" (axle load rating), and "shock" load (potholes) conditions. UCF has "static" load deflection information for a few of the different torsion arm angles possible.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Boonecollard » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:52 pm

Thanks for the info, I'm leaning more towards the drop axle. Planning on buying a 4' wide trailer and widening to fit a 5' axle. This way I can get the axle I want for the cost of a 5' stock trailer.
Boonecollard
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:22 pm

We have a Dexter, and given a choice it would be a Flexride. One advantage is a higher clear ground clearance.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Redneck Teepee » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:39 pm

Mine is a Dexter 4" drop axle on springs.......Just to give you an idea how it sits, keep in mind that I have about a 4" skirt on both sides that hang below the floor of the tear. Hope I was of help. :D

I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets