Too little axle or just enough

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Too little axle or just enough

Postby tnmedic2010 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:28 pm

I am tearing off a Jayco pop up down to the frame and making it into a teardrop. I went out and get all the info off the axle this afternoon and wanted opinions on whether to keep the axle and use it or to order a new one and get it mounted after I get the pop up torn off. I have a Dexter P-11 SLR, rated to 2000 pounds excluding the axle, tires and wheels. The axle measures 72 inches outside to outside, the back of the hubs are 67 inches and the spring mounts are 53 inches center to center. Is this going to be big enough or do I need to get something bigger and take it to a shop and get a custom mount for a new axle and the axle mounted as well, since I don't know how to weld and just don't have the time to try and teach myself. Anyway thanks for the advice, and sorry I did try and search but my keywords brought back way too much different stuff that what I was really looking for. Thank you again, tnmedic :thinking:
tnmedic2010
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Too little axle or just enough

Postby bobhenry » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:35 pm

Pop ups are by nature heavy. Your build more than likely will be under these weights and I would not worry about the capacity of the existing frame.
I have see several home builds on pop up frames the greatest thing is you can build wide enough to sleep side to side and have a bit more of a "living room"
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Dalorin » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:19 am

The question isn't if it will handle the teardrop. The question is if it will handle everything you haul in the teardrop plus the weight of the teardrop itself. You're probably fine. I built really heavy but it's up to you how you build.

Somebody had a chart here at one time where they weighed a bunch of teardrops and plotted the distribution. They can weigh anywhere from 600 to 2000 lbs. It varies based on the choices you make.

Don't forget to include the weight of your trailer in all your calculations. My trailer weighs 500 lbs!
Dalorin
Teardrop Master

Postby tnmedic2010 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:56 pm

I am thinking about weight that is for sure. I am planning on building sandwich walls with 2x3 and 1/4 plywood inside and out and rigid foam insulation. I am hoping that will keep the weight down, already told the wife that she cannot pack all the stuff her and the kids want to bring in the camper, that is what the pickup is for, also the pup has a tow hitch on the back bumper so might have to try and keep that and see what we can do as far as a supply trailer maybe? I don't know yet, I downloaded sketch up and have been messing with it but so far are am not too comfortable with curves so it might just be a big square but the wife does want it to be wood on the outside. Thanks for reminding me to keep thinking about the weight I do appreciate it
tnmedic2010
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets