Teardrop Plans?

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Teardrop Plans?

Postby ryanlongoria » Fri May 30, 2014 1:13 pm

I'm looking for instructions/plans on how to build a Teardrop. Can anyone help me with this?
ryanlongoria
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Teardrop Plans?

Postby rainjer » Fri May 30, 2014 2:14 pm

Look at the top of the forum under "Design Resources". There is the Generic Benroy plan. that will teach you the basics.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby KennethW » Fri May 30, 2014 4:23 pm

KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby The Ruckus » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:36 am

Kenneth, in that tutorial link you posted (https://sites.google.com/site/buildingateardroptrailer) I have a question... Are the sides mounted on top of the 4 x 8 floor? if they are that would mean the interior skin has to be ripped to interior width (less 3") . If the walls are connected to the outside of the floor (making outside width 4' 3", based on 3/4" plywood) then that would mean the 4 x 8 roof skin would not fit (3" too short in width). I am researching for my build using a 4 x 8 trailer. I want to loose the least interior space as possible, thus I want to attach the sides to the outside of the floor... any ideas?
Steve "The Ruckus" Whelan
The Ruckus
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KennethW » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:01 am

It i not my site. I just used it as a base when I was building mine. I did not follow the details of the build. Just used it as a place to get ideas when stumped.
When I mounted my wall I mounted a 1x4 cleat on the edge of the floor with screws from below before mounting the floor to the trailer. When building the wall I left the bottom board out so the wall would slide over the cleat. I had the outside skin go outside the floor and roof. Then trimmed the wall skin to the roof. I also left out the 2x2 frame and just put 1/2 foil covered insulation under the floor with little plastic pipe spacers where the hold down bolts are. I did not follow the normal ways.
click on pictures to enlarge
I also layer the ceiling on top on the walls then the ties and insulation and finally the roof. I also built the hatch as part of the main box then cut it off.The hinge mounting board and a board to cut in half was planned when putting the wall together. ((Not the normal way of doing thing))
Now look at the other builds and go what ever way you want there is no one way to build Just pick what ever way you see as best.
Good luck, Have fun.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ctstaas » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:42 pm

Hi Ryan, There are as many ideas as designs so it is hard to be wrong. My GenBen is non insulated. I cut the two walls together and screwed them to the floor. Then I added the interior shelves. I cut my floor and shelf/bulkhead down by 1 1/2" so the 1/4" plywood for the roof is a full sized 4' x 8' sheet. Five by sheets of plywood are more expensive and using a full size sheet for the roof reduces seeming concerns. My frame is 1/8" narrower and I rolled the cabin right on with a piece of pipe when I married the two. The frame was square and the plywood was 1/16" out of square leading to some custom work at the end. Just a few things to think about while you are planning.
Enjoy, Chris
ctstaas
Teardrop Master

Postby kayakdlk » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:04 am

I bought several plans on the web and ebay but what I really used and liked and recommend is Steve Frederick's builders shop manual. http://www.campingclassics.com/shopman05.html It isn't plans but addresses an easy way to build what ever style you want inside out. A great method for doors, galley hatch and seals. Check out his web site for lots of pictures.

Dan
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Ridjobradi » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:01 pm

Here is a list of plans that may help. I found it this evening and thought the forum would be a good place to share it.

http://makezine.com/2015/09/23/teardrop-trailer-builds/
Ridjobradi
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mahai217 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:22 pm

Has anyone used the "Big Woody" plans?

What are your thoughts?
mahai217
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:42 am

but what I really used and liked and recommend is Steve Frederick's builders shop manual

Me too! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby frosty » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:33 pm

but what I really used and liked and recommend is Steve Frederick's builders shop manual

Me too! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Does anyone have a copy that they can share electronically?
frosty
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:11 pm

Does anyone have a copy that they can share electronically?

He sells it electronically. I think it'd be a big deal not to just buy your own copy from him.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops