5' X 10' Grumman 2 Sort Of

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: 5' X 10' Grumman 2 Sort Of

Postby KCStudly » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:15 am

Just curious, how does that remote fill setup prevent from overfilling? :thinking:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby RunnerDuck » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:45 pm

KCStudly wrote:Just curious, how does that remote fill setup prevent from overfilling? :thinking:

KCStudly,

It senses when each cell is full and stops the flow. I think you could overfill if you squeezed the bulb really hard but I just squeeze it until I feel some good resistance.

Works really well for me as my batteries are in the "basement" of my fifth-wheel and not all that easy to check and fill.
RunnerDuck
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:59 pm

Ah, so the little yellow doohickeys on the plug inserts must be float checks. I think I see it now, thanks. :thumbsup:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Re: 5' X 10' Grumman 2 Sort Of Day 4

Postby RunnerDuck » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:13 pm

I made some good progress on the frame with the help of my neighbor who recently built a tiny trailer. Neither one of us have good welding skills but his are better than mine.

We started with a pile of cut and uncut pieces of steel.

We built the frame on the frame of a flatbed trailer that he had. It was the most flat surface around.

We cut the end tapers on the side pieces and ground them flat and smooth.
Cutting-Ends.jpg
Cutting-Ends.jpg (115.93 KiB) Viewed 3326 times

We spot-welded all the pieces of the rectangular frame together after squaring everything up, measuring from corner to corner to verify square.
Welding.jpg
Welding.jpg (114.12 KiB) Viewed 3326 times

This as far as we got today, Ken had to go to work around noon so no tongue or "A" frame supports yet.
Frame-Les-Tongue.jpg
Frame-Les-Tongue.jpg (134.86 KiB) Viewed 3326 times

There is a professional welder that I'll be taking the frame to for final welding. Trust me, it will be perfect! :goodmorning:

I have a general question: "I've seen posts with more than three photos but I can only upload three. How do you upload more than three photos in one post?"
RunnerDuck
Teardrop Master

Re: 5' X 10' Grumman 2 Sort Of Day 5

Postby RunnerDuck » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:30 pm

Today I worked on smoothing out the curves on my pattern. Lot's of hand sanding but I'm gaining on it.

I also worked with my friend to tack weld the tongue and "A"-frame supports. Our little power hack saw had a hard time handling the large angles but we did it.
A-frame-cut.jpg
A-frame-cut.jpg (132.69 KiB) Viewed 3297 times

By the end of the day we had the frame done, at least as far as the tongue goes. Still a little bit more stuff to do for the corner jacks, the tongue jack and possible bumper mounts.
frame.jpg
frame.jpg (147.38 KiB) Viewed 3297 times

Things will slow down now while I wait for more "stuff" to arrive on my island.

Oh yeah, my wheels and tires arrived, woot!
New-Wheels-and-Tires.jpg
New-Wheels-and-Tires.jpg (94.65 KiB) Viewed 3297 times

I don't have the "moon" hubcaps on in this photos but they are going to look great!
RunnerDuck
Teardrop Master

Re: 5' X 10' Grumman 2 Sort Of Day 4 Mistake

Postby RunnerDuck » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:23 am

Yesterday, day 5, I realized that I'd made a mistake on day 4! :x

While welding it up I realized that I hadn't spaced the cross members to take the most advantage of a 4' X 8' piece of plywood. I decided to move the center section back so that the plywood would center on the middle cross member.

What I didn't think about at the time was that it would shorten the tongue by moving back 7 1/4"!

Frame Dimensions.jpg
Frame Dimensions.jpg (55.01 KiB) Viewed 3271 times

Fortunately I had cut the tongue extra long so in the end only lost 4" or 5" which still leaves plenty of clearance when backing the trailer.

So much to think about and making changes on the fly requires even more thinking :NC
RunnerDuck
Teardrop Master

Re: 5' X 10' Grumman 2 Sort Of Day 6

Postby RunnerDuck » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:57 am

I spent the day sanding the edges of my profile template, 1/4" plywood, and I believe I have something I can use.

Next I laid out all the cabinet and wall lines on the template so I know where to build my "Swiss cheese" inner wall. It will be 1X lumber. I plan to dado into the areas where the cabinets and wall will go.

During that effort I found a few little things that needed changing. Nothing big but it also got me thinking about my original design of sitting with my feet in a foot-well facing the rear. Because of my little mistake on the frame dimension my foot-well move another five inches toward the rear. That really put me sitting in the middle of the door making it hard to get in and out when the seat is up.

I got the idea from the Gidget Retro Teardrop Camper and I liked the idea of having a nice, out of the weather, place to work on my computer. I know, I'm supposed to be camping but I enjoy doing stuff on computers and find it relaxing. :thinking:

Just to refresh your memory here was my original design:
seat looking back.jpg
seat looking back.jpg (38.1 KiB) Viewed 3247 times

By the end of yesterday I had a new "Sidesaddle" design"
side saddle.jpg
side saddle.jpg (49.67 KiB) Viewed 3247 times

I think this will work much better. I'll be out of the way of the doors and have easier access to both ends of the trailer when the seat is up.

I'll probably spend most of today refining the design and getting better definition of my cabinets.

It sure is easier for me to think it all through on the computer before I start cutting wood. But, as exhibited on the frame, it still doesn’t always work as planned.

What I need to do before making changes on the fly, like moving those frame rails back to support the 4’ wide plywood, is I need to go back to my computer and “think”. :scratchthinking:
RunnerDuck
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:38 pm

I have found that printing out shop drawings and taking them to the build site goes a long way toward making the project come out like the plan. Well that, and it also works better if you actually look at the plans! :lol:

I found myself making mistakes when I thought I remembered something and realized that I had gone "off plan". :? It is so easy to remember an original thought and forget that you have made a change on the plan for some reason or another, only to find out that your original thought was okay, but your revision would have solved other issues.

Been there, done that.

Re: the foot well, In your first image ^ it looks like your stand-in's toes are up against the back of the well, while his heels have plenty of room. With the well moved back, wouldn't that have improved, not gotten worse?
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby RunnerDuck » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:11 pm

KCStudly wrote:Re: the foot well, In your first image ^ it looks like your stand-in's toes are up against the back of the well, while his heels have plenty of room. With the well moved back, wouldn't that have improved, not gotten worse?

Thanks for the "hindsight" :NC

I had already made all the moves on the frame and had them welded when I saw what I had done. While the well would have given more toe space I still didn't like where I would of had to sit in order to access the pull-out desk that will be on the rear wall.

I too take my drawings to the work site but making a change on the fly without going back to fully check the design is my guarantee for failure.

As it turns out I actually like the "Sidesaddle" design better than my first, it's going to work out great!

As always, thanks for you comments, keep them coming.
RunnerDuck
Teardrop Master

Re: 5' X 10' Grumman 2 Sort Of Day 7

Postby RunnerDuck » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:17 am

After a few days of waiting for parts to arrive I decided to build a portable garage to put my teardrop in while I work on it. I think this will work out great and provide the space required.

It's a 10' X 17' HF portable garage and seems to be pretty well built. Here on the island we get some pretty good winds in the fall and winter so it will be a real test to see how well it holds up. Hopes are high.

garage1.jpg
garage1.jpg (61.59 KiB) Viewed 3145 times

garage2.jpg
garage2.jpg (46.84 KiB) Viewed 3145 times

garage3.jpg
garage3.jpg (33.66 KiB) Viewed 3145 times

I put the zipper door on the end closest to my woodshop making it easier to get stuff in and out. The other end is solid and will only be opened to wheel in the frame and take the finished TD out. At least that's the plan.

My axle has arrived and I believe I have all the pieces to finish the frame. Once those are tack welded in place the frame goes to the welder for professional welding. That will happen on October 20. Until then I'll start working on the final design and start cutting some wood.

Stay tuned,
RunnerDuck
Teardrop Master

Re: 5' X 10' Grumman 2 Sort Of Day 8

Postby RunnerDuck » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:24 am

I made a little progress today. I worked on my pattern some more and now have the door hole cut out.

The trickiest part for me was figuring out the corners but after much figuring and hand wringing I went for it. :thinking:

I used my saber saw with a new blade and just took my time. The result was perfection. :thumbsup:

Door1.jpg
Door1.jpg (29.94 KiB) Viewed 3058 times

Door2.jpg
Door2.jpg (41.89 KiB) Viewed 3058 times

Door3.jpg
Door3.jpg (42.5 KiB) Viewed 3058 times

Before I start cutting real plywood I need to figure out my galley hatch. I've got Steve Fredrick's Shop Manual but still trying to work it all through my old brain.

Stay tuned!
RunnerDuck
Teardrop Master

Re: 5' X 10' Grumman 2 Sort Of Day 9

Postby RunnerDuck » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:26 pm

Today I tack welded the tongue jack, corner leveling jacks and axle to the frame.

tongue jack large.jpg
tongue jack large.jpg (93.46 KiB) Viewed 3011 times

leveling jacks large.jpg
leveling jacks large.jpg (97.54 KiB) Viewed 3011 times

To make sure that the trailer tracks straight I drilled a hole in the center end of the tongue, installed a screw through a long wire with a ring lug crimped on the end and marked the wire where I wanted the axle.

frame1 large.jpg
frame1 large.jpg (105.59 KiB) Viewed 3011 times

I swung the wire from side to side to side... to make sure the axle was perfectly alligned and then tacked it into place.

It's now ready to go to the professional welder next Tuesday. I'm getting pretty excited :thumbsup:

Now I can go back to my pattern while I wait for Tuesday.
RunnerDuck
Teardrop Master

Postby dales133 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:42 pm

Nice.
Exciting times getting the trailer done...ill know whenever i finish mine!
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Re: 5' X 10' Grumman 2 Sort Of Day 10

Postby RunnerDuck » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:19 pm

Oh boy a big day today.

Today I got the frame welded and returned home. It looks fabulous and the good folks at Better Off Road in Oak Harbor, WA , did a great job :applause:

Here is the finished frame with my helper Ms. Kitty Kitty.

Frame 1 big.jpg
Frame 1 big.jpg (45.61 KiB) Viewed 2939 times

Frame 2  big.jpg
Frame 2 big.jpg (31.33 KiB) Viewed 2939 times

And here it is with the template hanging on the side.

Big Day 2 big.jpg
Big Day 2 big.jpg (46.69 KiB) Viewed 2939 times

I'm really excited now. I have it in my portable garage and ready to get serious.

Stay tuned.
RunnerDuck
Teardrop Master

Postby Vedette » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:23 am

Hi Ken
You are making amazing progress. :thumbsup: :applause:
Nice looking profile! :thumbsup:
Your build journal is wonderful! :thinking:
At the rate you are going, you will be ready to camp with us in 2016 for sure.
We hope you can come up to our 3rd annual Fall Gathering. ;)
I hope to be back on my new project soon (our last camping trip is scheduled for this weekend ) :)
Keep up the Great Work
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Last edited by Vedette on Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals