I need some electronic advice

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

I need some electronic advice

Postby Bigwoods » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:54 am

I like to listen to the local radio station in the morning. Just an AM channel. I find I am getting a lot of interference from the 8 CFL bulbs we have in the kitchen. Is there a filter or a type of radio that will overcome the static? Seems like it is much worse lately.. Thank You for any help.
Greg in Northern Minnesota

Bigwoods
500 Club

Re: I need some electronic advice

Postby MtnDon » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:39 am

LED's? I'd try 1 to see if it was any better. LED still has electronics but maybe it would be better?

I used to hear a buzz from some CFL when I was close to them, but don't have the same thing happen with the LED's.

Look for a lamp that does NOT have a warning like, "This product may cause interference with radios, televisions, telephones or remote controllers."
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby jss06 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:27 pm

The only way would be an RF choke on the antenna for the radio. But that is probably not possible given how most new radios are constructed and you would have to build the choke to block out everything but the frequency you want. Putting a choke on the power feed for the radio probably won't do anything.

AM radio is really bad about picking up interference. A CB radio (also AM) will pick up florescent lights at a truck-stop while traveling down the highway.
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 pm

My wife worked in an office and had a terrible time picking up a good AM signal. I bought her a C.Crane radio and it solved her problems. Maybe not the cheapest solution, but the radio goes with you forever.

http://www.ccrane.com/!iGjiued7!ux8Sn3H ... -FM-Radios
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Off Topic