RedTrailer Upgrades worth it?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

RedTrailer Upgrades worth it?

Postby HudsonHaines » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:25 pm

I was looking to purchase the 5x8 RedTrailer for my first build:

http://www.redtrailers.com/ShowTrailer.asp?id=6#choose

There is an option to upgrade the wheels to 12" aluminum wheels and radial tires for an extra US$349.54. My thought is that this might make the trailer tow better at a high speed, as well as fair a bit better in an off road situation. Would love to hear if anyone has purchased this option or has an opinion if it's worth it or not. Thanks!
HudsonHaines
Teardrop Inspector

Re: RedTrailer Upgrades worth it?

Postby Alan_H » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:04 am

That looks worth it to me! You're basically paying for the wheels, but getting the upgraded axle and hubs along with the package. It also puts you to a more standard bolt pattern of 5 on 4.5"
Alan_H
Lifetime member

Postby vincigj » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:41 am

Alan_H wrote:That looks worth it to me! You're basically paying for the wheels, but getting the upgraded axle and hubs along with the package. It also puts you to a more standard bolt pattern of 5 on 4.5"

I have a craigslist 4/8. Had 8 in wheels and only 600 # leaf springs. Well trailer came out heavy so now I have 12in wheels and 1000# springs but still 4 bolt rims. Choices of rims is limited. There are a couple but the "dish" is wrong.
So all that to say get it up front because all I saved after hours of work was a "free" spare tire.
vincigj
Teardrop Advisor

Postby HudsonHaines » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:54 pm

Thanks for the opinions! Didn't think about the bolt pattern but that's a good point.
HudsonHaines
Teardrop Inspector

Postby HudsonHaines » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:51 pm

One more question here about the RedTrailer... Is there a big difference in the shape/style of the RedTrailer vs The Northerntool 5x8? The plans call for the NorthernTool 5x8 but I think I like the RedTrailer better. Just curious if anyone has an experience with these two.
HudsonHaines
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Esteban » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:26 pm

I have no "hands on" experience with a Red Trailer. I initially thought about buying one

I bought a 5' x 8' Northern Tool trailer I use as a utility trailer. At the time, with discounts, it cost $400. It is a very sturdy trailer and one of the rare ones that is five feet wide. It's a good base to build a 5' x 8' (or longer) teardrop trailer.

An upgraded 5' x 8' Red Trailer costs nearly $1,100 PLUS shipping.

That brings it into the price range of a custom made trailer with your choice of suspension, whether torsion axle or spring axle, your choice of tires and wheels, your choice on tongue configuration, and perhaps most importantly your choice of a custom frame size and load capacity.

For that large an outlay of dollars I'd prefer to have a custom trailer made. Which is what I did. I bought a Dexter #9 torsion axle and a local welding shop fabricated a trailer for me two days after we agreed on a plan (my plan) and price. I bought my tires and wheels from a local tire shop.

Bottom line, I think an upgraded 5' x 8' Red Trailer is :thumbdown: too expensive when you can have a :thumbsup: custom trailer built for a similar cost.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby HudsonHaines » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:25 pm

Thanks for the feedback Esteban. That's some awesome insight.
HudsonHaines
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Gunguy05 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:11 pm

Yeah, for that price it's the northern tool all the way.
Brian

Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
Gunguy05
The 300 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets