Cracked Wagner

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Cracked Wagner

Postby Catherine+twins » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:35 pm

Okay, recently I won a bid on shopgoodwill.com and got three skillets, two Wagners and a vintage no-name. The square Wagner is a bit rough, but still good for bacon. I'll try some cornbread in it soon. The no-name has just a trace of rough near the center that pulled a bit off the crust of the first frittata I cooked in it, but the second came out nicely. (We like to plate the frittata rather than scoop it out of the pan.) The second Wagner is an older one, straight sides and the ring right at the edge. I also cooked a frittata in that one, and it came out perfectly. However, when I was washing it, I noticed a line of oil on the bottom of the pan (outside bottom). Closer inspection showed a hairline crack fully across the bottom.
:(
Anyway, is there any reason I should NOT use the pan for pancakes and frittatas and similar stuff? I didn't have eggs running through the crack, just a bit of olive oil. And other than that, it cooked beautifully.

Just to be clear, I don't feel cheated. I felt like I got three skillets for the price of one on that auction, and if I can still cook in it, well that's fine!

Thanks for your help on this.

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Re: Cracked Wagner

Postby bobhenry » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:45 am

My ancient 3 legged spider skillet has a crack in the side. Like you I was disappointed when I found it but that was 4 years ago. In 4 years of camping it has made numerous meals and it has gotten on worse for the wear. I use it often and it goes on every Tearjerker gathering. It is my favorite for baking cakes and such.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Catherine+twins » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:01 am

Thank you, Bobhenry, that was the way I was leaning. I couldn't think of anything in CI that could hurt me if I kept using it. Right now it is hanging on the wall behind my stove, but it will go back in the rotation. It's really a good size for feeding my growing teens!
:D
Catherine
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby Talia62 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:47 am

Cast iron can be welded by a skilled welder. I have a vintage cast iron woodburning stove that had two feet broken off, and I got them welded back on for a surprisingly reasonable price. Been going strong on those welded feet for fifteen years now.
Talia62
Teardrop Master

Postby felixx » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:45 pm

felixx
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:22 pm

Yest cast iron can be welded. I once did an inspection on the main CI gear on a swing railroad bridge over the Colombia that was hit by a barge and broke a number of teeth off, about three feet thick and they welded new teeth on.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:28 pm

Not that im any kind of exper but many years ago the place next to where i worked welded cast .
It needs to be heated up reasonably hot from what saw and welded while its hot to form a decent weld.
I believe its notoriously difficult to weld and as previously said takes some skill
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Catherine+twins » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:16 pm

If I still lived in Colorado, I think I know of welders who work with CI in my old home town. I don't know anyone where I am now, so I think I'll just use the pan in its current condition. As I said, it's smooth and slick as is, and I don't want to risk ruining it. :)

Catherine
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby jonw » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:53 am

I bought a used Wagner round skillet that was not packed well and a chip broke off the side of it during shipping.

I paid a local welder to repair it - he brazed it and you can't even tell it was chipped unless you look at the back of it. I think it cost me $20...
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Catherine+twins » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:57 am

Wow, not bad at all. Okay, I'll ask my uncle if he knows anyone. He's one of those people who knows people who know people. He also has a vintage tractor that sometimes needs repairs....

Catherine
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby felixx » Thu May 12, 2016 5:24 am

I welded some lumps of cast iron together to make trivets

I heated them up then placed them together and hit them with my stick welder

They are holding together well
felixx
Donating Member

Return to Cast Iron