The most durable outside finish ?

Finishes, paints and coatings

The most durable outside finish ?

Postby ibbowhunting » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:22 pm

I'm slowly working on a teardrop the profile is still up in the air but I think I've came full circle and back to a benroy design, I've read a lot of past post and been thinking about skinning my teardrop, my first thought was painted aluminum sheeting, but lately if been looking at either poor mans fiberglass and or epoxy, my tear drop could sit outside all winter with a lot of snow and cold weather, what is the most durable finish to keep my teardrop dry for many years with little or not maintenance
ibbowhunting
Teardrop Advisor

Re: The most durable outside finish ?

Postby felixx » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:45 am

Laminated Aluminium cladding
also known as sign board
also known as alucobond
felixx
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:25 am

I'll argue for .040 aluminum with either anodized or mill finish and a diamond plate rock protector.

You mentioned epoxy, but you need to be aware that most,if not all, need a UV protectant.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby azgreg » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:40 pm

Last edited by azgreg on Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg
Donating Member

Postby kayakdlk » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:25 pm

I decided to stay away from aluminum in Colorado due to hail and maintenance. I covered mine in 6oz fiberglass cloth and 3-4 coats epoxy and then rolled on 2 coats Monstaliner paint. I wanted a durable, nice looking finish that had little to no maintenance and would last for 20+ years. The epoxy and cloth sealed the wood and hopeful prevents the plywood from checking and makes it water tight, and then the Monstaliner paint provides UV protection with a color that matched my Jeep and that resist scratches. So far it has only been 3 years but the finish has held up very well. I can power wash after a trip and I occasionally spray wax the paint and wipe down with a cloth.

There are several options and I think they all will work. Really comes down to what you like.

Dan
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member

Postby ibbowhunting » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:33 pm

kayakdlk wrote:I decided to stay away from aluminum in Colorado due to hail and maintenance. I covered mine in 6oz fiberglass cloth and 3-4 coats epoxy and then rolled on 2 coats Monstaliner paint. I wanted a durable, nice looking finish that had little to no maintenance and would last for 20+ years. The epoxy and cloth sealed the wood and hopeful prevents the plywood from checking and makes it water tight, and then the Monstaliner paint provides UV protection with a color that matched my Jeep and that resist scratches. So far it has only been 3 years but the finish has held up very well. I can power wash after a trip and I occasionally spray wax the paint and wipe down with a cloth.

There are several options and I think they all will work. Really comes down to what you like.

Dan

Ive been looking at your build which got me thinking of using poor mans fiber glass the using the monstaliner to finish it off, how much monstaliner did yours take
ibbowhunting
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Graniterich » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:23 pm

How big of hail dents. 040 aluminum? What other maintenance would you do on aluminum?
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:37 pm

Graniterich wrote:How big of hail dents. 040 aluminum? What other maintenance would you do on aluminum?

I have had lots of hail here on teardrops in the last ten years and no dents. Perhaps up to 5/8". But it's not the midwest.

I've never seen an original teardrop with hail damage. I don't know what alloy or thickness they used. I think most of it was surplus WW2 stuff.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby kayakdlk » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:00 am

ibbowhunting, I used a 2 gallon kit.

Dan
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member

Postby dogscats » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:44 pm

I have a molded fiberglass boat .It seems very tough can fix small scratches with nail polish . Not the frp from home depot .
TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS
dogscats
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:56 pm

dogscats wrote:I have a molded fiberglass boat .It seems very tough can fix small scratches with nail polish . Not the frp from home depot .

I think what you are probably fixing is a gel coat that was sprayed inside the mold before the glass was laid up. It keeps the laminate from degrading from UV.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby dogscats » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:04 am

tony.latham that right. its the gel coat .never got in to the glass . I have had hail damage on the car but never on the boat
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS
dogscats
Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:42 pm

PMF is tougher than anything else I've seen. I put it on my first tear 4+ years ago. It has never been painted again.
I carried boats and a steel wagon on the roof for hundreds of miles.
The PMF shows no wear from either object over three years of abuse.
The tear sits outside year-round.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Squareback » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:05 pm

I put 3 coats of CEPS (clear epoxy penetrating sealer) then 2 coats of oil base primer made for boats and then 2 coats of oil base paint made for boats. I plan on using my camper off road and it may get the occasional ding or scratch but I can easily bondo and repaint as needed. Camper will be in garage and covered when not in use. My 2 cents worth.
LEVI
Squareback
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dogscats » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:09 pm

rowerwet
PMF is tougher than anything else I've seen

What is pmf
dogscats
Donating Member

Next

Return to Skinning secrets