bees wax and seasoning cast iron waffle irons.

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Re: bees wax and seasoning cast iron waffle irons.

Postby wagondude » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:06 pm

See my reply in the other thread, Mike. In short, too much wax and too much heat. Bees wax has a low melting temp and a low flash point compared to oil. I have yet to do my waffle iron or even my Waffledogger, But I will use the method I posted in the other thread.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:32 pm

I have several cast iron waffle irons. Once the CI is ready for seasoning, I rub the whole thing with Vegetable oil. Then whip clean with paper towels. Then take a small bristle paint brush and brush around all over, being sure to not allow any puddling. Then set with the grate side down on newspaper over night. Next morning re whip any oil you see. The place grate side down in the oven. Turn the oven to 450 degrees and set a time for one hour. Turn the oven off after the hour and DO NOT open the door for several hours. This allows the CI to cool slowly. I repeat this process at least twice if not 3 times. You are then good to go. I have only used beeswax on griddles and fry pans and do them on the stove burner, where I can whip the wax off as it heats up.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Catherine+twins » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:05 pm

Wow, so much work! When I bought my Rome waffle iron, I just started cooking with it, with spray-on baking spray every waffle. I've never had any waffles stick, even on that first unseasoned day. Now, two years later, it is well-seasoned.

Catherine

Oh, I have to say that I really prefer the baking spray to regular cooking spray for this purpose. I use it in my WaffleDog iron, too.
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby GerryS » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:08 pm

You can't get the CI rocket hot and season with anything....especially beeswax. Just enough to smoke is more than enough then heat and season the pan normally...

It's no harder than seasoning with fat. In fact it's easier since the wax is solid at room temperature and if you hit it with the bar if was after drying on the stove stop in a very short periods of time you have a nonstick surface that would best Teflon blush in embarrassment.

We've been doing this since we read about it in the CampInn forum... 3 years now? I'll never go back to fat based seasoning.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:51 pm

I just reseasoned my CI skillet with bees wax, mostly because I had some, and because peanut oil didn't work very well. The peanut oil got gummy and sticky, then eventually dissolved into rust.

I stripped the pan with soap and hot water, allowed it to dry and warmed it up to ~140F and melted maybe a teaspoon of bees wax in the pan. While the pan was hot I wiped the wax around with a paper towel and allowed it to cool. The next morning I warmed it slightly and wiped out any excess wax. Then I scrambled eggs in the pan, dry. After breakfast, I washed the pan with hot water and dried it carefully. Later I came back and repeated the wax application.

Now I scramble eggs in the pan with no butter, oil, etc, and have no issues with the eggs sticking to the pan.

I like the bees wax method because it doesn't require high heat to polymerize the vegetable oil.

My $0.02 worth

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby GerryS » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:56 pm

I think I brought this pearl of wisdom. I got it from the CampINN forum, and gave it to Bob. Next thing will be a global run on beeswax :)

Yeah, it's a fantastic technique....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Cast Iron