Cell Phones

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Cell Phones

Postby Vedette » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:43 pm

Cell Phones ?
Have you ever been in the middle of a conversation with someone, when they receive a Cell call or a text?? :roll:
They immediately zone out! Don't waste your breath continuing your conversation.....as you are no longer their priority! And they will here nothing paste that ring or vibration. Cell Phone tops everything in their life or death?? :thinking:
Today, the Seattle News reported a guy falling to his death, as walked off a cliff while talking or viewing something on his Cell Phone.
We don't have one yet, as we find them extremely rude! And we are waiting to see if they really catch on .......or if they are just a fad???? :lol: :lol:
Really?......Life goes on without them, as it has for centuries????? :thinking:
Oh.....did I mention "Less Stress!!!!"
Happy New Year!
Brian
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Re: Cell Phones

Postby MtnDon » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:02 pm

Many people with cell phones become slaves to their phones. I look at it the other way around; my phone exists to serve me. I don't answer every call unless I feel like it or unless answering does not interfere with whatever I am doing. I send or let many calls roll to voicemail. That is what voicemail is for, IMO. I use a basic prepaid Verizon plan. That costs me $100 a year. Yes, I don't spend much time talking. But it is handy at times. Like when I went to Lowes and left the list at home that day. I called my wife and she read the list to me. Saved a 6 mile drive.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:20 pm

I think they're great. Kind of a natural selection test.

Tony :pictures:
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:33 pm

Ive seen that video...incredible.
That and people wearing headphones...
A girl here recently got cleaned up by a train.
People were yelling at her and she was looking at her phone with her headphones on and walked straight infront of it
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:11 pm

I don't believe in burying my head in the sand so to speak.
I've had a cell phone ever since they came out with those small flip phones, it's just a phone, no internet etc.
I don't use it much but it's always strapped to my side in the event of an emergency, like when my fuel pump went out on my tow vehicle last Memorial weekend while on our way to a gathering.
When Jane & I go shopping, she goes her way and I go my own way and we find each other with our cell phones.
My flip phone has an alarm feature and a countdown to remind me of appointments and tasks I need to do, a very hand feature.
I also store the songs I'd like to learn on the guitar and I play them quietly when I do my walk about the neighborhood.
For $12.75 a month, that includes way more minutes than I'll ever use (250 minutes) it's a bargain to me.
When I'm home it pares up with the home phone base so if someone calls it I can answer it anywhere on the property with our 5 portable phones.
Even my brother who lives in the dark ages so to speak (hates computers) has one.
http://chitchatmobile.com/
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby lrrowe » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:31 pm

I very much emrace technology. In fact I am writing this from my iPad while trying to fall off to sleep. But I relish personal real people contact more and therefore how little patience and tolerance for cellphone abusers (can I call them that if the shoe fits?). I love eye to eye contact. You sure can find out a lot about someone that way.

I just about hate texts, especially when they wish me Happy or Merry Something.

Ok, so much for my rant today.

PS. And BTW, on the flip side, our technology today also scares me very much. :? :frustrated:
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:39 pm

Ive got an android smart phone ,galaxy note 4 and its a great device.
I use it for everything as i have a great data plan.
I do get annoyed by bad mannors phone related or otherwise but its to the point i couldnt live without my phone.
I work formyself so its my office aswell
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Redneck Teepee » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:29 am

I'm not engulfed in mine, but it sure does come in handy. :thumbsup:

You can look up virtually anything you want to know or need information for right on the spot instantly. I usually will have anywhere from 50 to 80% of my battery left at the end of the day, where as the wife re-charges hers two or three times a day. :shock: :frightened: She has to keep up with 9 grand kid's, 1 daughter and two daughter-in-laws you know ;)

We even got rid of our land line squawk box's and are strictly on mobile's except the PC Desktop line. It got to where the only calls on the house phone were telemarketer's, all day every day :x I just couldn't like that.
Last edited by Redneck Teepee on Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:54 am

Yea we have no landline either.
Ive got a desktop ,laptop and a tablet but seldom use anything other than my phone.
Its my gps,email ,phone,and the note 4 has a stylus so i can sign documents without printing right into email and send them straight on...very handy
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Vedette » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:26 am

Wow!
At $0.00 per Month for the past 12 years, I guess I have saved some money? :thumbsup: ( I did have one once?? :oops: )
Brian
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:01 am

I have a cell that I use all the time and have for many years. I Particular like the smart phones because of the various uses that they have. Now let me say that I'm not a "Chatty Cathy". Conversations usually last for about a minute or two and that's it. When I'm in company I usually have my cell phone turned down or turned off altogether. I'm a big fan of using the voice mail.

However, I use my smartphone for its other features. I find it very useful for navigation with GPS rather than having to fold and unfold a map - Remember back to the good old days of being a distracted driver looking at a a map? I also use it to access my "listening" tunes via Bluetooth to the car radio. To me it's no more distracting than listening to the radio as I did back in the days before Bluetooth was readily available. Yes, there are people who are distracted because they had the little ear buds in their ear. Same thing was said when the Sony Walkman came out and people were jogging listening to music with the headphones on. I can come up with many "Back in the day" distractions that were just as worse than cell phones. I also remember walking miles to someones home just to use a phone when my car broke down or ran out of gas - too. So If I get a call from my daughter (and i know its her because of the caller ID) I will answer it - she might have an emergency - if it is not and I'm in the company of others, I'll ask her to call be back at a later time.

Now when I want to get away from it all - there is a little button that turns it off ( and believe me, I know how to use it!) :D
Your experience may vary
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby MtnDon » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:35 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:
When Jane & I go shopping, she goes her way and I go my own way and we find each other with our cell phones.

That alone is worth carrying a phone.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby lrrowe » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:50 pm

MtnDon wrote:
halfdome, Danny wrote:

That alone is worth carrying a phone.
:thumbsup:
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby coyote » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:10 pm

A savior In Walmart/Lowes- I hunt, she "shops"! Best thing: when I had to get one, the salesperson extolled to me the wonderful benefits of sound, camera pixels, slim design etc. "what did I want?" I said well, " to be able to call my wife, 2 kids in the states, 2 kids deployed."conversation kinda dwindled at that point.
coyote
Titanium Donating Member

Postby jstrubberg » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:26 pm

I use mine constantly. Heck, I even use it camping quite a bit. It's a lot of fun to sit around the fire at night and call up star maps and see if you can find things in the night sky.

I can't say I understand these morons who can't look up from their phone while walking, though. To me, that epitomizes survival of the fittest...
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Next

Return to Off Topic