Does anyone use a stand-up computer table?

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: Does anyone use a stand-up computer table?

Postby ZugZug » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:22 am

My back is pretty awful so I use one at work - it's a sit/stand desk so I can alternate between sitting and standing. But I mostly use it standing and sit in meetings.

I do get tired sometimes but that's a good signal to go for a walk - something we should all be doing regularly anyway. I've had back problems for many years, one major surgery already and I've learned to take pain management seriously.

I've never found it hard to find opportunities to sit down. Sit in the car. Sit on the couch. Sit down to eat lunch usually. So my standy desk is brilliant for the times in between.

Just listen to your body and keep it moving when it needs to move.

And wear the right shoes - because the more you stand the more important it is to be standing on the right shoe as the correct base for the rest of your body and posture.
ZugZug
Teardrop Builder

Postby ParTaxer » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:33 am

I am a tax consultant. Every tax season I wreck my back. This year back did not recover. I can only sit for two hours in the AM. I just purchased a stand-up laptop table so that I can stand and work. I like it very much. I actually bought a second stand to hold the paper work. More and more offices are being renovated to allow for this position.

Mike W
I have wisdom beyond my years. In fact, I'm nearly senile.
ParTaxer
The 300 Club

Postby mreidsma » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:09 pm

Same here, I've been standing at work (software developer) for the past decade after a nasty bout of sciatica after a camping trip where my air mattress deflated at Acadia, forcing me to sleep on the hard Maine ground for 6 nights.

The days when I work from a coffee shop or home are torture, even though my sciatica hasn't bothered me for years. I just prefer standing up!

If I want to sit down, I have a small sit down desk in my office for reading, or we have plenty of places to sit throughout the building.

-Matthew
mreidsma
Donating Member

Postby Catherine+twins » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:18 pm

Ooh, sciatica here, too. When I have flare-ups, I stand up to work. We have the expensive electric desks at work (and I can't afford one of those at home!!!), 10 of us in an open office area, and my co-workers have gotten used to me standing for half an hour, sitting until I can't stand it, and standing for another half hour or so. I have never needed to stand enough days in a row to build myself up to standing for a full 8 hours a day, if you get what I mean. :? I also have restless leg syndrome (RLS), so sometimes I stand just because I can't sit still. Somehow I haven't convinced any of my co-workers to try it out, though. I sometimes use the breakfast bar at my step-dad's house to stand-up-compute when we're there, too.

Catherine :D
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Off Topic