Dexter axle (update 2-19-16)

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Dexter axle (update 2-19-16)

Postby les45 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:13 am

I just had a really good experience with the folks at Dexter Axle. Yesterday, I emailed my specs to their sales rep and had a quote within two hours. Today, I confirmed the order and they said that my axle would be shipped within one week. Shipping directly to my home will be by FedEx Freight and should take about two days.

In researching a replacement axle, I found that the Dexter Axle stickies on this forum are way out of date and most of the links are no longer valid. Here is some updated information for anyone interested in ordering a Dexter Axle:

First, I had read here and on other forums that you have to go through a local distributor to place an order. That is not so. My sales rep confirmed that anyone can call and place an order directly with the Dexter factory. I dealt with the factory located in Fremont, Indiana, and their phone number is 260-495-5100. My sales rep was Alyssa and she was super. All of my calls went through quickly with no waiting and my emails were all answered promptly.

There are other factories scattered around the US and listed on the Dexter web page. I'm not sure if they all handle the same products but there is a number on their main web page (574-295-7888) to call with any questions. You can also call the main number to speak to their engineering folks who also answer quickly and will help with any technical questions you may have.

There is a Dexter manual that tells you everything you need to know about ordering an axle. I found it at the Redneck Trailer Supplies web page, but it is a re-print of a Dexter document. Here is a link: http://www.redneck-trailer.com/Portals/ ... iles/A.pdf

Pricing is still quite reasonable. My axle with standard mounts and grease hubs without brakes was $230 plus $100 shipping from Indiana to South Carolina.
Last edited by les45 on Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
les45
500 Club

Re: Dexter axle (update)

Postby Talia62 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:31 am

No brakes, but does it have the brake mountings on it?
Talia62
Teardrop Master

Postby les45 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:26 am

Talia62 wrote:No brakes, but does it have the brake mountings on it?

My old axle had the brake flanges but I did not order them on the new one. My rig will weigh about 1,300 lbs so I decided not to order brakes.
Dexter has many options for brakes in their manual so it is just a matter of picking the right option if you want brakes or brake flanges.
les45
500 Club

Postby LMarsh » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:04 am

Good info. I've been planning a new build for a while but I'm getting serious this year. After 3 Harbor Freight trailer builds I'm definitely going with a torsion axle this time. I finally decided the best route was to build a trailer from scratch for the best frame dimensions and price. I'm gathering information to plan my axle purchase but I haven't worked everything out yet. I want a drop floor and need to choose a tire size. Then considering axle start angle, desired deck height, and possibly brakes, I'm sure it's easy to forget something and make a mistake.
LMarsh
Teardrop Master

Re: Dexter axle (update 2-19-16)

Postby les45 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:25 am

Update on my order. I placed the order on a Friday and I received it 11 days later as predicted by my sales rep. Everything checked out perfectly dimension-wise and I am ready to install as soon as I finish cleaning and painting the rest of the frame. Interestingly, the new axle is identical to the (27 year) old axle in every respect, including the hubs. My old hubs were in perfect condition so I have cleaned and re-packed them and will use them for spares.

I would point out one word of caution when ordering a new axle. If you decide to use a side mount adapter or if you have to use a side mount because of the orientation of your existing frame (like I had to), you have to be very careful in specifying the factory pre-set start angle. If the angle is too small (zero to 22.5 degrees down), the torsion arm can interfere with the installation of the rear mounting bolt since it covers the bolt hole. I had this problem in removing my old axle and had to use a Sawzall to cut the Grade 8 bolt. Luckily there was a small gap between the axle mounting bracket and the side mount adapter which allowed me to get a saw blade to the bolt. I specified a 32 degree down start angle to make sure that I didn't have this problem with the new axle. This raised the height of my frame by about two inches from the previous height with the old axle.
les45
500 Club

Re: Dexter axle (update 2-19-16)

Postby Vedette » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:53 am

les45 wrote:I just had a really good experience with the folks at Dexter Axle. Yesterday, I emailed my specs to their sales rep and had a quote within two hours. Today, I confirmed the order and they said that my axle would be shipped within one week. Shipping directly to my home will be by FedEx Freight and should take about two days.

In researching a replacement axle, I found that the Dexter Axle stickies on this forum are way out of date and most of the links are no longer valid. Here is some updated information for anyone interested in ordering a Dexter Axle:

First, I had read here and on other forums that you have to go through a local distributor to place an order. That is not so. My sales rep confirmed that anyone can call and place an order directly with the Dexter factory. I dealt with the factory located in Fremont, Indiana, and their phone number is 260-495-5100. My sales rep was Alyssa and she was super. All of my calls went through quickly with no waiting and my emails were all answered promptly.

There are other factories scattered around the US and listed on the Dexter web page. I'm not sure if they all handle the same products but there is a number on their main web page (574-295-7888) to call with any questions. You can also call the main number to speak to their engineering folks who also answer quickly and will help with any technical questions you may have.

There is a Dexter manual that tells you everything you need to know about ordering an axle. I found it at the Redneck Trailer Supplies web page, but it is a re-print of a Dexter document. Here is a link: http://www.redneck-trailer.com/Portals/ ... iles/A.pdf

Pricing is still quite reasonable. My axle with standard mounts and grease hubs without brakes was $230 plus $100 shipping from Indiana to South Carolina.

I have had the same "Great" experience twice over the past three years with dealing with Dexter for my axles on both Miss Piggy and Kermit.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets