Drowning is silent,, I NEVER KNEW

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Drowning is silent,, I NEVER KNEW

Postby PKCSPT » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:28 pm

This surprised me. If you are near people in the water this really important. I NEVER KNEW and I live in the land of 10,000 lakes
There is a warning but a little spoiler, its not at all graphic and the little boy does get saved at the end. If you do not want to watch the video at least read the story.
I found this to be eye opening I hope you do to.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/25583480/investigators-drowning-is-silent#at_pco=cfd-1.0
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Re: Drowning is silent,, I NEVER KNEW

Postby Kevin A » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:50 pm

Some very good information, thanks for posting this. I made it a sticky to keep it easy to locate.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:59 pm

Thanks for that. I didn't know it either. :o
...Never thought of it.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby lrrowe » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:58 pm

Thank you.
I have my grandsons coming to my dock for a week in July. This is very timely for me.
They must always wear life jackets when with us. But who knows what can happen in a flash.
Bob
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Verna » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:46 pm

Interesting. My sister wanted to take our 5 yr old and 3 yr old great nephews swimming in her condo's pool. I said NO to the idea because neither knows how to swim and they move too quickly for her to watch them. Yes, PFD's would have to be worn by those two lively boys!
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:12 am

Thank you.
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby felixx » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:47 am

its true
and scary to think you can miss the person struggling
Thanks for the post
felixx
Donating Member

Postby Ronbo62 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:26 am

I know I'm late to the discussion, and it's certainly something to be aware of. It's important that we as adults be ever vigilant when it comes to kids around water....ours and other's children.

I do have to say it's also important to work with kids to keep themselves safe as well. My granddaughter is just 3 years old and knows how to swim the basic strokes and will be heading for swim lessons this spring to reinforce those and learn others. Because she is being taught early to swim it will mean that she will be safer in the long run, but that doesn't mean that we or her parent's should ever let our guards down when she is near the pool.

That being said, my wife never learned to swim more than the dog paddle and is terrified of deeper water, so it's not just children we need to be attentive to.
Ronbo62
Teardrop Inspector

Postby lrrowe » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:46 am

Our lake is so aware of this possible disaster and has many programs to increase the awareness of it. In fact we have a promotion program going on now to promote the 50th year of Smith Mountain Lake and will be offering for sale, inflatable vests with lake logos embroidered on them at a discount off of Cabelas catalog prices. I will be wearing one at our Striped Bass fishing club tomorrow night in the effort to generate interest and hopefully sell a few to fellow anglers.

I am now a converted believer in them and in cold weather, at night or now, with kids on my boat.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby WrongWayRex15 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:33 pm

Our Son drowned when he was 5, we found him face down in the pool in the neighbors back yard. We were able to bring him back and breathing, it was a bit of a miracle, we calculated he was out of our sight no more than 3.5 minutes before we found him. He was on a fenced in front porch and I looked out and saw him, and about 1.5 minutes later when I looked, he was gone. By the time we looked around the yard and then through a hole in the fence and saw the pool, then jumped the fence, jumped into the pool and pulled him out and started CPR was about 3.75 minutes. He is in the navy now, the hardest part of getting past boot was learning to swim. But he did it. posting.php?mode=reply&f=29&t=60133#

I assure everyone, not a sound was made. Not even the splash of him falling in.
WrongWayRex15
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PKCSPT » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:09 am

So glad your son turned out ok, thank him for learning to swim and joining the Navy to protect our freedom.
On behalf of my grandkids who get to grow up in freedom Thank You
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:19 am

Witnessed a drowning and rescue as a child. The teen was with a buddy who called for help. Men and women swam out and pulled him to shore. Back then few knew CPR but someone did. We were camping so we never heard if he was ok, but believed he had made it. Since he came around by the time ambulance got there.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:52 am

http://www.m.webmd.com/children/feature ... y-drowning another scary thing to look out for. Our four kids love to kayak and swim. The older two were terrified of water, clawing right out of the tub if they got water in the eyes. After a few years of swim lessons they love to swim.
The younger two have almost no fear of water from seeing the older ones swim. They will go right in over their head, and like the first link shows, they make little fuss and no noise, at least until you pull them out...
If they've been under, you've got to be aware of what water in the lungs can do.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby ae6black » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:34 pm

Some years ago the family was camping along the Erie beach. While watching our kids I sort of became the unofficial life guard for some toddlers who weren't being watched very closely by parents. Steered their kids to shore several times. Hugh sigh of relief when they finally left the beach. Got home later that night to discover a child from our Church drowned. While the grandfather was in the house, the grandson he was watching and thought was watching TV slipped outside and managed to get around the locked gate and got up into the pool and drowned. You can never be careful enough around kids and adults that can't swim.
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby haha49 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:41 pm

I nearly drowned a few times I find if you don't panic and deaf man float you can self rescue. When I was little I jumped into the deep end straight to the bottom got through the fence at the dinning area. I wanted to keep swimming so I jumped in.bsat on the bottom looking up was entertaining was down there for 2 minutes till someone could go deep enough. In a river had to rescue a friend they got stuck on a log jam got tossed around good on that one. The latest was swimming and I got struck with pralisis es was under for 3 minutes thought the light at the surface was so peaceful stayed calm started counting and I did what a pro free diver taught me you can hold your breath if you pack them and relax almost blacked out on that one before I recovered. Most drownings are cold lakes the water shocks you and then you toast
haha49
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Off Topic