Can someone tell me what this is?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: Can someone tell me what this is?

Postby les45 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:20 pm

That was a linkage system that connected the two ends of the external lift system on the Palomino and several other brands of pop-ups back in the day. It took two people standing on opposite corners to lift the roof by simply pushing up with assist from some heavy duty springs on each corner. The bottom frame linkage in your picture is obviously cut off part way on each side. That linkage transferred load and kept both ends in sync as the roof raised. Here is a pic of the rest of the system:

The linkage has nothing to do with the trailer frame or axle so it could be discarded.
les45
500 Club

Postby Treeview » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:10 pm

And it's "les45" for the touchdown!

Tom
Treeview
The 300 Club

Postby tawright915 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:41 pm

les45 wrote:That was a linkage system that connected the two ends of the external lift system on the Palomino and several other brands of pop-ups back in the day. It took two people standing on opposite corners to lift the roof by simply pushing up with assist from some heavy duty springs on each corner. The bottom frame linkage in your picture is obviously cut off part way on each side. That linkage transferred load and kept both ends in sync as the roof raised. Here is a pic of the rest of the system:

The linkage has nothing to do with the trailer frame or axle so it could be discarded.

les45. You rock. Thanks so much. Now onward with the build.
tawright915
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets