Anyone using Keepass2 for password control?

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Anyone using Keepass2 for password control?

Postby daveesl77 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:40 pm

If you are like me, you have a ton of different userIDs and passwords. When I was younger it was no problem remembering these things, but as I got older I found it more and more difficult. I've found a pretty darn secure, free, software product that really works well. Keepass2

It does take a bit of getting used to, but after about a day's use, I absolutely love it. It incorporates multiple 256 bit encryption levels, is portable and makes things like web access really easy. When I installed it on my LiveUSB linux system, it gives me the ability to initiate a private Linux system on almost any computer, nothing is saved to the computer being used and all of my access info is easily accessible by me. While it is possible to break into the system, it is almost impossible. You really only have to remember a single, weirdo masterpassword and have a keyfile to start it.

http://keepass.info/

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Re: Anyone using Keepass2 for password control?

Postby MtnDon » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:23 pm

I agree. It is great. We have been using it for a number of years now.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby troubleScottie » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:11 pm

I use it religiously.

Great for any data like credit cards, software keys, accounts. Each entry can hold a name, user name, password and url plus comments plus a separate list of key fields.

Given how it is structure, you can organize information into different buckets making easy to find an address rather than a list of 100/1000+ addresses.

Another nice feature is when you copy the password, the copy buffer is on a timer and will clear itself.

Runs on Windows based machines, linux based machines and Androids. I have the actual file backup-ed to 5 places : 2 home machines, cell phone, usb memory stick, and work computer. Little chance of losing it or not having when I need it.

I am surprised people do without it.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby justageorgiaguy » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:05 pm

I use LastPass and love it; same basic concept, different vendor :)
James Davidson
Photographer
http://www.jdavidsonphoto.com
justageorgiaguy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby kayakdlk » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:45 pm

I have been using Keepass for quite some time. I use the professional portable version on USB drive, same on my home and work desktops, my wifes laptop etc. I can sync the files and I also use that database on my phone and tablets. I like the random password feature. I use as long a random password as the web site will accept. I can then just copy and paste when logging into a web site. I also use it for a lot more than just passwords. I keep credit card info, online bill payments, insurance info, library card numbers, vehicle license plate numbers, VIN IDs, printer cartridge numbers, etc. I created more than a dozen categories to keep this info all sorted and easy to access. After a while with all of the web sites I started adding notes (e.g (Hot tub filters) after the web sites title so I could see what I used each web site for, and then you can search. I tried at least a dozen different password manager and this one I liked the best and has the most flexibility to make it the way you want it.

Dan
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:32 pm

I'll have to check that out.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dmb90260 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:21 am

I tried to install keepass2 and ended up with all sorts of popup ads and crap. :?
Spent an hour getting rid of that stuff. Could have been a coincidence and not the site but they get the blame.

Tried LastPass and installed with no problems.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:37 pm

dmb90260 wrote:I tried to install keepass2 and ended up with all sorts of popup ads and crap. :?
Spent an hour getting rid of that stuff. Could have been a coincidence and not the site but they get the blame.

From where did you download? I've been using keeppass for years and update whenever updates come along. I've never had an extraneous crap.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby kayakdlk » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:44 pm

dmb90260 wrote: Could have been a coincidence and not the site but they get the blame.

Don't blame Keypass, I bet it was the site you tried to download from. Always go to the original source for downloads http://keepass.info/

Never had any issue in many years of using it.

Dan
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member

Postby dmb90260 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:36 pm

MtnDon wrote:
dmb90260 wrote:I tried to install keepass2 and ended up with all sorts of popup ads and crap. :?

From where did you download? I've been using keeppass for years and update whenever updates come along. I've never had an extraneous crap.

It was their official website. I may have accidentally clicked something on a side bar by mistake but I do not recall that I did.
I am happy with LastPass for now.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby jstrubberg » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:39 pm

There's nothing secure about writing down a password, and these programs are just writing down your password on someone else's paper.

Please be careful what baskets you put your eggs in. Data breaches happen.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby Camp4Life » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:16 pm

jstrubberg wrote:There's nothing secure about writing down a password, and these programs are just writing down your password on someone else's paper.

Please be careful what baskets you put your eggs in. Data breaches happen.

Yes, but you're writing down your password on someone else's paper, in an encrypted form, and that paper is locked up in a vault...

For what it's worth, I'm an IT guy and worked for NATO for 4 years. NATO uses KeePass for all the dozens of server and router passwords because they're very lengthy and cryptic, not easy to remember one nevermind dozens. We use KeePass because of how secure it is, and that you only have ONE crazy long cryptic password to remember to gain access to the others. Not saying anything is 100% secure, because I know better, but, it's the best and most secure solution. Especially since the KeePass database itself is stored on a secure fiber network, on a secure share, only accessible within the local LAN by workstations in securely controlled physical locations.

Remember, locks are only to keep honest people out. To be effective, surround that lock with 12-foot electrified barbed-wire fences with mean attack dogs inside and an armed guard. :twisted:
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Postby jstrubberg » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:04 am

You are still relying on someone else to never have a data breach. Again, a password isn't secure at all, despite how long it i, if you have to write it down!
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby Camp4Life » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:42 am

Yeah, writing down a password is bad. Nothing is truly 100% secure in the electronic world. I know that, I've been in IT for 16 years, IT security for 6. You can only do the best you can. The strongest method is using multi-factor authentication. Which is using at least two of the three different methods of authentication; Something you know (password), something you have (keycard/swipe card etc), something you are (biometric fingerprint scan, retina scan, etc).

I would however, confidently post up my keepass database publicly. With current computing power available, it would take 50 million years to crack the encryption. More details on their encryption can be found here.

:beer:
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Postby MtnDon » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:16 am

:beer: :D :thumbsup:

We make very good use of keeppass!

MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Next

Return to Off Topic