wi/fi cable

Anything electric, AC or DC

wi/fi cable

Postby superdad88 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:31 pm

What do you guys/gals use for TV/internet in your TD? I am in the process of redoing the interior and will be adding a 19" TV/DVD combo but got to thinking of wi/fi and cable TV "have to keep the 10 year old" entertained in the evenings LOL

I was looking into Dish but wanted to get the fourms option.
superdad88
Teardrop Inspector

Re: wi/fi cable

Postby daveesl77 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:00 pm

Well, we are lucky and are grandfathered into the old Verizon wireless unlimited 4g data plan. And believe me, I use it a lot, like 200-400 gig a month. by law they cannot throttle or limit it due to the channel they took. But, with that said, while we don't watch a lot of tv when camping, I have an avermedia tv usb card for the laptop and built my own 4 bay digital antenna for local stuff. It works pretty well. We only bring the laptop, so it serves as internet, tv, and computer. to be honest, a 4 bay antenna from Amazon will work fine in many areas. cost is about $40

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:27 pm

I don't watch even when I'm at home, so I've no need for it camping. On long trips I take my laptop and sometimes watch movies from DVD, or rarely from Wi-Fi if the campground offers it and it has enough bandwidth that it doesn't stutter too much. I use my cell phone, with international data roaming, for email and web access when I travel.

During my month-long trailer trip in 2014, I had no cell signal at several national and provincial parks, and even at a couple of private campgrounds where wi-fi was advertised as available it was too slow to be of any use for entertainment.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:31 pm

Campground WiFi isn't fast enough to stream videos, especially when you might have an entire campground trying to watch movies at the same time. Cellphone works fairly well but you eat up data faster than you'd think. A movie is about a GB worth of data so your data plan doesn't last long and you're dependent on having a cell signal. I used to use Dish Satellite but its a PITA to setup the dish every night and the receiver is a battery hog. DVDs worked the best for me until I upgraded to a Plex server.

My $50 Fire 7 will download Amazon Prime movies for free.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby superdad88 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:46 am

I thought about the mobile hot spot, so I can use my laptop and HDMI cable into the TV for Netflix but curious about cost,
superdad88
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bdosborn » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:14 am

Head over to the tech forum at RV.net. There are tons of threads on hotspots over there. Every plan is different. I use my phone and I have 15gb of data. We don't stream movies but we do stream music and an occasional YouTube clip. We've never gone over but we would if we streamed movies

Brucex
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:32 pm

Our TV also has an integrated DVD. I a cable to an external cable inlet.
I also have a satellite dish and receiver and Jack antenna that are on a suction cup mount.

There have been a number of occasions where the camp ground has cable and it is a simple matter to hook up and co a channel scan.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets