AARP

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

AARP

Postby ae6black » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:22 pm

Has anybody joined AARP? If so, why would you recommend a membership in that organization? I keep getting invitations to join now that I am considered a senior but other than the free duffle bag I don't really see an advantage of joining. Has a membership card with this organization ever helped you out with camping registrations or anything like that?

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Re: AARP

Postby satch » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:33 pm

When I turned 50 last year, I received a membership form in the mail, but since my son busted out in laughter, the stigma kept me from opening it.
Some of my older relatives say it's worth it, but I still wish I was younger :)
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:47 pm

We joined as it gave us a smokin' discount on car insurance with the Hartford. However, they tied to jack our rate up by 40% last year so we changed insurance. It hasn't been any use since then and we probably won't renew when it comes due.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:36 pm

Your son is just jealous. HaHa!

Like your AAA membership card, your AARP card allows you to get discounts on a lot of different things; but, you have to ask for the discount and show your card. (You can only take one or the other...You can't use both.) If you don't ask, you won't get it. Always ask if you can get an AARP discount, whether it be clothing, boats, air fares, restaurant meals, some cell phone bills, movies....whatever. Sometimes, if you show your AARP card, people will give you a discount even though you aren't 65 yet. That's because a lot of people think you have to be 65 to get the senior discounts, even the cashiers may think so because the establishments don't always tell them different. (Actually, the discount age varies from place to place; but, it's always worth a try.) You also get a free monthly magazine that sort of reminds me of People magazine; and a newspaper/bulletin that carries coupons for various things. There is usually a Harbor Freight coupon included, too. When you join, you get a booklet that tells you all about the benefits. Tell your son that your membership helps pay for the fight to retain his and your Social Security benefits, too, as they have people who push for us on Capitol Hill.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby satch » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:32 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Your son is just jealous. HaHa!

Tell your son that your membership helps pay for the fight to retain his and your Social Security benefits, too, as they have people who push for us on Capitol Hill.

Thanks Sharon, He's coming home from Berkley tonight for the weekend, I'll be sure to hammer into him the importance of getting older!
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:09 pm

My feeling it is of dubious value, insurance and other products are profit centers for them. I have a AAA card and Golden Buckeye (Ohio) that gets me the same discounts.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby jonw » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:37 pm

I've been a member for several years. The membership fee is very reasonable and the discounts I get with it probably pays for itself. The also do a good job keeping me informed of issues affecting us seniors, especially what the gov't. Is up to.

If you're an AAA member you might not need AARP for the discounts, but I'm not and don't need AAA road assistance. Plus AAA membership is much more expensive.
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Bill n Robi » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:10 pm

Getting in on the medical seemed good idea. After being denied most of out prescriptions, maybe not so good. Also I think 90% of identity thefts come from people stealing your mail from AARP My god, I can fill out a freakin' form, please stop sending life, car, home, medical, bank, credit cards, etc offers filled out with half of the info required to steal my identity.....
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:53 pm

Bill n Robi wrote:Getting in on the medical seemed good idea. After being denied most of out prescriptions, maybe not so good. Also I think 90% of identity thefts come from people stealing your mail from AARP My god, I can fill out a freakin' form, please stop sending life, car, home, medical, bank, credit cards, etc offers filled out with half of the info required to steal my identity.....

I agree that their Hartford insurance isn't anything I'd want. AAA (not AARP) keeps sending me life insurance forms that are partially filled out. However, anybody can get that information. I was surprised to see how much information is on the Internet and all you need is a name or an address. :(
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby MtnDon » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:35 pm

The insurance companies share information.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby BigGoofyGuy » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:00 pm

I received an AARP application when I turned 40. After receiving a few, I finally told them when I turned 50. When I turned 50, I did not hear from them.
:thinking:
BigGoofyGuy
The 300 Club

Return to Off Topic