Teardrop vs Standy Teardrop

Threads about the forum, forum software, forum features, etc

Postby Adirondackersouth » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:24 am

To begin with I want to make it known I do not own either of these fine design expressions of camping prowess but I hope some day to own one style at least. This is the reason why I wanted to start this thread. I want to know what are the various opinions on the subject and how does one decide which is best.

This is what I think I know from researching the subject:

Teardrops consist of a range of sizes from the highly diminutive style that can be pulled by a motor cycle, to large teardrops that are almost but not quite a Tiny Trailer.

Standy is a large teardrop that one can almost if you are shorter than the average bear, stand up in. I am 5' 10" and this was impossible to do in the one and only Standy teardrop I have ever been on the order of 5 feet and x inches from top of the floor to the ceiling at the door. I think they should call them Stoop's and not a Standy's. But that is my opinion.

Here I am thinking about buying one of the types listed below and low and behold on Ebay there was another kind from a bygone era that caught my eye for its sheer romantic quality. Yes, I am a softy for the old, classic look, for wood, for the 1930's - 1960's. There is just a richness and I suppose it speaks in the same tones that the newest house I ever owned was built in 1947 and the oldest 1886. I like them old!

The classic Cabincar style which anyway you slice it is a looker like the "Woodie" style of teardrop, but bigger. The one on eBay by the time anyone reads this post will be long gone but the impression remains strong. The issue I have with anything made of wood is that like sailboat, it needs to be maintained, coddled, loved upon often to preserve its je ne sais quoi. Love requires attention, and maybe a garage or cover.

There are other kinds that I have seen and had an interest in buying such as the "off road" style with its solar panels, solar shower, big, tires, shovels for the eventual digging out that you will do getting your Truck/SUV/JEEP/RANGEROVER and trailer combo out of the muck. I have personally had gotten my old Ford Ranger XLT stuck in everything from snow to glacial flour and that was not fun. Having a trailer behind, nightmare x2. Still, if I could avoid muck I would get one of those jobbers. Mostly because it speaks to my utilitarian GI-Joe kid in me. Get the repel harness I am a commen!

The last and most intriguing kind are the ones that pop up with canvas sides or slide out to accommodate a larger living area while maintaining traveling smallness. I like the idea, I wonder not long the canvas and slide outs last in use. I am thinking of some friends of mine that had VW bus campers / Vanagons with the pop top
https://youtu.be/u3ssm2F1Rco
All are very cool for what they are but I think they are all eventual maintenance issues.

Which do you prefer and why?
David Medici
Mechanicsville, Virginia 23116
Happy Trails
Adirondackersouth
Teardrop Master

Re: Teardrop vs Standy Teardrop

Postby angib » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:29 pm

The thing about a standy is that to make the height useful, the body needs to be long enough or wide enough, or both, that you can stand up outside the bed area. And that's a bigger trailer all round.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Adirondackersouth » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:46 pm

angib wrote:The thing about a standy is that to make the height useful, the body needs to be long enough or wide enough, or both, that you can stand up outside the bed area. And that's a bigger trailer all round.

Do you not like the Standy style for that reason?
David Medici
Happy Trails
Adirondackersouth
Teardrop Master

Postby Vedette » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:31 am

Originally, I loved the "look" of Vintage Teardrops.
Then, I became intrigued by the "ease" of towing and set up with Teardrops.
Next came my concern for towing something large or heavy (I had never been a trailer camper for this reason) so the "size" attracted me to Teardrops.
But, what I never expected (that hit us from left field) was the "people" :thumbsup:
After building our Teardrop as a camping tool that would allow us to travel inexpensively, in comfort, with a bit of a cool factor, that would be ready to go in a minutes notice, and allow us to arrive at our destination at any time of night without all of that set up; we discovered other "Teardrop Campers" and "Gatherings".
What a wonderful and refreshing group of people! :applause:
They are in a whole league of their own :thinking: and so different from those Standy, Vintage trailer, 5th wheel, and Motorhome people, who seem to think camping is "spending time INSIDE a box" while away from home??? Not really enjoying the great outdoors or interacting with their fellow campers.
Even tent campers can't enjoy the outdoors like "Teardrop Campers" can, as they are always busy worrying about the weather and staying warm, dry, and secure. Not as much of a concern for Teardrop Campers.......weather just adds to the adventure, and you can lock your door at night. ;)
So before you make your choice, you must ask yourself if you are prepared for the "Social" aspect and the attention you are going to get if you choose the "Teardrop Lifestyle".
And, are you really ready for the Teardrop World that awaits you. :twisted:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Redneck Teepee » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:17 am

Much like Brian I was drawn to the "Vintage" look. The first one I ever saw and got a "Tour" of was sometime in the 70's on a hunting trip, it was probably built in the 40's or 50's but fascinated me since I was in a tent sleeping on the hard ground and a few rocks.

Fast forward about 40 years and I finally pulled the trigger to acquire one. It's unbelievable as to how much I enjoy going to the Drag Races, El Mirage Speed Trials and of course Fly Fishing and not to mention some times a spare bedroom, the grandkids love it.
:thumbsup:

Speaking of El Mirage, here's how convenient they are... just this last October I arrived at the lake entrance about midnight, I had never gone onto the lake bed after dark before, and for those of you who have never been there it's like driving on the moon so to speak....no sense of direction, with out the sun or moon for reference it all looks the same. I employed the compass on my truck to head some what in the right direction and about 5 mi. later I found the course barricades. I then parked, got out stretched a little and crawled into the "Redneck Teepee" with absolutely no set up what so ever, and slept till first light. I discovered when I crawled out of my toasty warm teardrop a cool crisp 25 degree morning...... I love my Teardrop :D
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby Adirondackersouth » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:50 pm

Vedette wrote:Originally, I loved the "look" of Vintage Teardrops.
Then, I became intrigued by the "ease" of towing and set up with Teardrops.
Next came my concern for towing something large or heavy (I had never been a trailer camper for this reason) so the "size" attracted me to Teardrops.
But, what I never expected (that hit us from left field) was the "people" :thumbsup:
After building our Teardrop as a camping tool that would allow us to travel inexpensively, in comfort, with a bit of a cool factor, that would be ready to go in a minutes notice, and allow us to arrive at our destination at any time of night without all of that set up; we discovered other "Teardrop Campers" and "Gatherings".
What a wonderful and refreshing group of people! :applause:
They are in a whole league of their own :thinking: and so different from those Standy, Vintage trailer, 5th wheel, and Motorhome people, who seem to think camping is "spending time INSIDE a box" while away from home??? Not really enjoying the great outdoors or interacting with their fellow campers.
Even tent campers can't enjoy the outdoors like "Teardrop Campers" can, as they are always busy worrying about the weather and staying warm, dry, and secure. Not as much of a concern for Teardrop Campers.......weather just adds to the adventure, and you can lock your door at night. ;)
So before you make your choice, you must ask yourself if you are prepared for the "Social" aspect and the attention you are going to get if you choose the "Teardrop Lifestyle".
And, are you really ready for the Teardrop World that awaits you. :twisted:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi

Hey Brian and Sandi -

I am glad to be able to read you opinion and description of what it is like to own a teardrop camper. I am a nostalgia nut and have always been attracted by the old ways of traveling. My folks back in the 1950's converted a bread van into a hunting camper that they used to deer hunt in the Adirondacks of New York. I have always wanted to see a better photos of it. I think one of my sister's has a few shots/ :thinking: The stories of this fabled vehicle and my upbringing in a camp on a lake in the same park, and my folks being more outdoors oriented than any of my friends growing up, I thought everyone lived close to nature, cooked on a wooden kitchen stove and ate outside on a regular basis. Oh youth!

My folks have passed and my sister's had their time roughing it and would prefer a picnic outside then eating indoors on a nice day. I am the decade plus younger brother and love all the same things that we used to do as kids. :D

Fast forward to now - I teach high school and have summers for the most part off. I have been traveling every summer I can afford it. Always tenting, with my equipment wedged into and onto every surface. I travel with a kayak and canoe on the roof, with all the camping gear in the Highlander. I am an expeditionary force with cameras, video, and sometimes a telescope I am prepared for my 5-6 week Summer Soujourn. The past three years have been hard my equipment and back. So the next logical thing was to seek out a moving bedroom with an outside kitchen that would be easy and cool and snot. Hence the Teardrop!

I love camping meeting people because you can't help it. If you live outside, sleep either in a tent or trailer you can't help but interact with your fellow campers. I can see you guys would like the ease of driving in and setting up. I kind of crave that after two years ago I set up and took down my tent and gear 18 times in 6 weeks. It gets a bit old.

Thanks again.

I wish I could make one but I rent and have nowhere I can work. So I am in need of buying something that someone has made. If you have anyone you could recommend I could appreciate that.

David
David Medici
Happy Trails
Adirondackersouth
Teardrop Master

Postby Adirondackersouth » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:52 pm

Redneck Teepee wrote:Much like Brian I was drawn to the "Vintage" look. The first one I ever saw and got a "Tour" of was sometime in the 70's on a hunting trip, it was probably built in the 40's or 50's but fascinated me since I was in a tent sleeping on the hard ground and a few rocks.

Fast forward about 40 years and I finally pulled the trigger to acquire one. It's unbelievable as to how much I enjoy going to the Drag Races, El Mirage Speed Trials and of course Fly Fishing and not to mention some times a spare bedroom, the grandkids love it.
:thumbsup:

Speaking of El Mirage, here's how convenient they are... just this last October I arrived at the lake entrance about midnight, I had never gone onto the lake bed after dark before, and for those of you who have never been there it's like driving on the moon so to speak....no sense of direction, with out the sun or moon for reference it all looks the same. I employed the compass on my truck to head some what in the right direction and about 5 mi. later I found the course barricades. I then parked, got out stretched a little and crawled into the "Redneck Teepee" with absolutely no set up what so ever, and slept till first light. I discovered when I crawled out of my toasty warm teardrop a cool crisp 25 degree morning...... I love my Teardrop :D

Hey I totally get what you are saying about the cool factor of a teardrop. I am looking for one to buy if you know anyone that has one I am curious about them :beer:
David Medici
Happy Trails
Adirondackersouth
Teardrop Master

Postby razorback » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:50 am

We have a td that has a body that is 5 X 10. Over the last nine years we have pulled it over 34000 miles. We also have a 1978 Serro Scotty whose body is 7 X 10. Our canned ham has a dropped floor inside the door area. We love both, but the Scotty is preferred by my wife, high school librarian, when the weather will be cold and/or rainy.
The Scotty has a dinette that allows her to sit inside a warm area and read her Ipad. We have been to the IRG, and multiple national parks along the way. We have been to Cloudcroft, NM. Matagorda Bay along the Texas coast. Guadalupe River, Beavers Bend in OK, Crawford state park in Kansas, Petite Jean in Arkansas, and LCG in LA. We have been to VA. NC, and SC at least four times for history tours. We have stopped overnight at Wal Marts, Cracker Barrels, and numerous other public places when camping areas were not readily available. All of these gatherings have introduced us to a great group of like minded folks who love being out in nature. Welcome and enjoy the journey.
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Adirondackersouth » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:29 pm

razorback wrote:We have a td that has a body that is 5 X 10. Over the last nine years we have pulled it over 34000 miles. We also have a 1978 Serro Scotty whose body is 7 X 10. Our canned ham has a dropped floor inside the door area. We love both, but the Scotty is preferred by my wife, high school librarian, when the weather will be cold and/or rainy.
The Scotty has a dinette that allows her to sit inside a warm area and read her Ipad. We have been to the IRG, and multiple national parks along the way. We have been to Cloudcroft, NM. Matagorda Bay along the Texas coast. Guadalupe River, Beavers Bend in OK, Crawford state park in Kansas, Petite Jean in Arkansas, and LCG in LA. We have been to VA. NC, and SC at least four times for history tours. We have stopped overnight at Wal Marts, Cracker Barrels, and numerous other public places when camping areas were not readily available. All of these gatherings have introduced us to a great group of like minded folks who love being out in nature. Welcome and enjoy the journey.
Larry

Hi Larry,
I feel in my heart that I am at the edge of something big. Big in that I am a traveler by nature. My whole family are adventure types. My uncle who is 91 still drives a crossed country in an RV and loves the outdoors like the rest of us. I want to start my teardrop or Serro Scotty adventure this summer. I appreciate your kind words and know that in some ways all of these teardrop tiny trailer people are set apart from the RV folk who travel and stay in there places. I want the freedom of low fuel cost and maximum comfort. You and your wife seem to have the best of both worlds.
David :beer:
David Medici
Happy Trails
Adirondackersouth
Teardrop Master

Postby Ned B » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:03 am

David, welcome to the forums! I'm from central NY, but at the moment am in the beautiful Shenandoah valley. Saw your thread here and did a quick Craigslist search. Found a guy selling a new TD for a reasonable price:

2016 Teardrop Campers $3650
http://charlottesville.craigslist.org/r ... 16215.html

I'm ultimately planning on building my own , but if you've got the bug, that looks like a decent little unit. No affiliation, just thought I'd share.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Adirondackersouth » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:09 pm

Ned B wrote:David, welcome to the forums! I'm from central NY, but at the moment am in the beautiful Shenandoah valley. Saw your thread here and did a quick Craigslist search. Found a guy selling a new TD for a reasonable price:

2016 Teardrop Campers $3650
http://charlottesville.craigslist.org/r ... 16215.html

I'm ultimately planning on building my own , but if you've got the bug, that looks like a decent little unit. No affiliation, just thought I'd share.

Hey there former central NYer. I have been watching this company. I am sure that they make a good product but the price is a bit steep for me for what you get.

David
David Medici
Happy Trails
Adirondackersouth
Teardrop Master

Postby Ned B » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:26 pm

Adirondackersouth wrote:Hey there former central NYer. I have been watching this company. I am sure that they make a good product but the price is a bit steep for me for what you get.

David

I agree; re their price, thought it would get you in the game.

I'm still in CNY, was checking in with/on my parents this week.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Adirondackersouth » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:22 pm

Ned B wrote:
Adirondackersouth wrote:Hey there former central NYer. I have been watching this company. I am sure that they make a good product but the price is a bit steep for me for what you get.

David

I agree; re their price, thought it would get you in the game.

I'm still in CNY, was checking in with/on my parents this week.

That it would. But like yo probably I would want to deck it out with a number of things. Average cost of those trailers w/o galley area is 5200.00 :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
David Medici
Happy Trails
Adirondackersouth
Teardrop Master

Postby Schosser » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:39 am

Hi all... I'm a bit late to this conversation but here's my two cents worth..
I've logged 30+ thousand miles pulling an early model Little Guy Basic (4 X8) mostly with a 4 cyl Tacoma. I seldom used the galley for cooking so I removed part of it for additional storage.
A really small camper like this is fantastic for boondocks camping , event camping (bluegrass festivals , motorsports ect), or hunting.
Teardrops are not "stealthy"; you can't park in a Walmart parking lot ( or just about anywhere else) without someone coming over to check it out.
They are so easy to tow the biggest challange is to remember to slow on fast curves.

I recently chose to get a larger "standy" type camper. Originally I was going to either build my own or convert a small cargo hauler.
In the end I bought a used "Micro-Lite Cargo Xtreme" , which is basically an all aluminum 13 foot toy hauler modified for camping . My choice to go bigger was driven by the fact we intend to do more multi-week trips and we usually travel with two recumbent trikes. I also like having a place to change clothes easier ,a nice big bed and a beer filled refrigerator.

The down side to the standy is towing is a bit more difficult, my cruising speed is <>10 mph less and the gas mileage is much worse. The teardrop lowered the mileage 2-3 mpg while the standy drops it 7-9 mpg cause of the extra weight and larger frontal area.
A really unexpected benefit is that we can pre-load our traveling clothes ,linens and other misc. stuff into the trailer where with the teardrop most of that sort of thing would be loaded into the tow vehicle just before leaving. This a major stress reducing benefit and we now have lots of extra room in the car.
Again, just my two cents worth...
Schosser
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Adirondackersouth » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:11 pm

So you went from 30K miles in a 4x8 Little guy that you modified the galley area, then changed to the Cargo hauler set up. I am not surprised about the loss in fuel economy. As a long haul camper I would be ashamed to say that I like my 24 MPG that I am getting and would really not like it if it dropped by 10 MPG That would not be cool. But if what you have works for you and you don't mind that drop then good for you. Thank you for your two cents. I appreciate it.

David Medici
Ashland, VA
David Medici
Happy Trails
Adirondackersouth
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Threads about the forum!