More leaf spring help

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

More leaf spring help

Postby Kaz » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:00 pm

So I managed to get some new leaf springs with more free open space (arch) but they are rated to much so I de-tuned them down to a 1500# capacity. Question is can I use a grade 8 bolt to replace the factory center bolt? It's just too inconvenient to get to the spring shop but the hardware store is less than a mile away.
Kaz
Kaz
Silver Donating Member

Re: More leaf spring help

Postby DrewsBrews » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:50 pm

The U-bolts/spring plate hold the spring pack together also. I wouldn't worry too much about using a bolt like that, but then again I'm no expert. The head might need to be ground down to clear the spring plate hole, or the hole enlarged.
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Re: More leaf spring help

Postby Redneck Teepee » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:36 pm

Should not be a problem, all that bolt does is hold/position the leafs correctly as an engineered unit and keeps them from sliding out of position fore or aft in the pack or assembly. Shear strength for a 1/4" grade 8 is in the neighborhood of 80,000 psi and it only goes up from there with larger diameters.
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets