Winter long term protection

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Winter long term protection

Postby gene so » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:41 pm

Hello,
I am in the process of constructing a small camping trailer, built to withstand off road activity, being pulled by my 4x4. I am assemblinmg this myself and have no stated time limit, since both Cancer and a Heart attack. A fellow retiree stopped by today and informed me that for everyone of his vehicles here at 6,500 ft. in the Rockies he had to build a separate garage. He told me horror stories of vermin infestation that completely ruined motorhomes in two years. This was shocking to me. I have a 2 stall garage and temporary shelter for my vehicles. I am also remembering as I am writing, I have dealt with this issue for a sick neighbor whose engine compartment this winter got turned into an apartment complex for ground squirrels.

I am just starting all the electrical wiring for my trailer and it seems a massive project to me. Having all this effort screwed up in a short time forces me to write this letter on this site.

I would just as soon not place this trailer inside my garage during the winter, but will do so , if necessary. I have already decided to build a subfloor into my camper where the wires and propane lines will be contained. Has anyone else ever dealt with this infestation problem succesfully, and how was it done? I am certainly willing to take a day in the fall, just to winterize and protect this unit, once I complete it.

Gene So
gene so
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Winter long term protection

Postby KennethW » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:26 pm

I have heard that vermin don't like Irish spring soap shavings or moth balls.
Irish spring soap smells better.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:57 pm

Our garage isn't mouse proof. I tried the mothballs but they didn't work. The problem was solved with Fritz (the cat).

Anywho, I have owned teardrops since 2004. Never a mouse. Always stored outdoors in mouse country. I can't believe a properly constructed teardrop is a avenue for rodents. Commercial RVs and trailers? You betcha.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:26 am

I would think that a few extra precautions should make it varmit proof. Leave no holes for entry. The subfloor is a great idea. Use conduit for external wiring runs. Use aluminium skin since it would be harder to chew through. If young are really worried you could put galvanized sheet metal under the floor.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:21 pm

One trick for sealing holes to stop mice etc. Fill the hole with steel wool, then seal with expanding foam.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:03 pm

This is from last winter it is Filon 139554
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Return to Off Topic