Filon, can it be molded

Finishes, paints and coatings

Filon, can it be molded

Postby gene so » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:56 pm

Hello, although I love wood finishes and appreciate the appearance of aluminum exteriors, I am going to have to use filon to cover my camper. The clear bright unpolluted sun at 6,500 ft. requires an extra UV protection and we get vicious hailstorms here in the Rockies that make aluminum exteriors look terrible after they are pounded so badly.
I have yet to see this Filon product and would appreciate communicating with anyone familiar with it as to applying it to plywood-permanently. Can this product be heat molded? I would like to cover the front and top all in one piece, this would require four different angulations. If I could do this all in one piece it would eliminate all those seams, and thus, potential leaks. Any input regarding this product would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Gene So
gene so
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Filon, can it be molded

Postby tony.latham » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:19 pm

gene so wrote:Hello, although I love wood finishes and appreciate the appearance of aluminum exteriors, I am going to have to use filon to cover my camper. The clear bright unpolluted sun at 6,500 ft. requires an extra UV protection and we get vicious hailstorms here in the Rockies that make aluminum exteriors look terrible after they are pounded so badly.
I have yet to see this Filon product and would appreciate communicating with anyone familiar with it as to applying it to plywood-permanently. Can this product be heat molded? I would like to cover the front and top all in one piece, this would require four different angulations. If I could do this all in one piece it would eliminate all those seams, and thus, potential leaks. Any input regarding this product would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Gene So

I doubt you can mold or bend it... but don't know. I also think that building teardrop shaped trailers is easier than building the angular ones and this is one of many reasons.

I'd visit Atomic77's build log concerning his Filon install: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61140

And if I was going angular, I'd consider the bedliner route. But I'd prefer the easier teardrop shaped build. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Re: Filon, can it be molded

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:37 pm

Yes it can be bent You have to be careful of the substrate.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Return to Skinning secrets