Real Answers on Propane Plumbing

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Real Answers on Propane Plumbing

Postby Vedette » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:00 am

So I finally got to a propane place, where I got to talk to someone who was knowledgeable about propane plumbing. :roll: Not just a counter boy!
I found out that the "Quick Connect" fittings do not support "high pressure" appliances like our Coleman Stove.
They should only be used on the low pressure side of the "Regulator" attached to your tank.
Thus, after talking to this professional and showing him my plumbing diagram, he advised me to just take my tank from the front of our teardrop to wherever we planned on using it. :thinking:
Saved me over $300.00 in fittings, lines,& regulators! :thumbsup:
Plus a bunch of work.
I don't understand why this "straight up information" was not posted here?????? I just seemed to get suggestions that went round a round without saying anything. :NC
Could have saved me so much time.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Re: Real Answers on Propane Plumbing

Postby Redneck Teepee » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:47 am

Vedette wrote:So I finally got to a propane place, where I got to talk to someone who was knowledgeable about propane plumbing. :roll: Not just a counter boy!
I found out that the "Quick Connect" fittings do not support "high pressure" appliances like our Coleman Stove.
They should only be used on the low pressure side of the "Regulator" attached to your tank.
Thus, after talking to this professional and showing him my plumbing diagram, he advised me to just take my tank from the front of our teardrop to wherever we planned on using it. :thinking:
Saved me over $300.00 in fittings, lines,& regulators! :thumbsup:
Plus a bunch of work.
I don't understand why this "straight up information" was not posted here?????? I just seemed to get suggestions that went round a round without saying anything. :NC
Could have saved me so much time.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi

Sounds like you got your answer to your application, but F.Y.I. they do make high pressure propane/gas quick connectors.
Most that are readily available are only good for 1/2 pound pressure. I think by law the H.P. connectors must have what's called a mass flow stop built into them at the tank fitting, should your break or rupture a hose it will shut itself off.
http://www.cajunshoppe.com/qd.htm
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:07 am

When I saw the comments about the quick disconnect not being acceptable for high pressure connections, I got worried as my professional gas line installer gave me one for my outside grill directly from the 500 gal in ground house propane tank. I do have an on-off switch right before it though. It has been there for 10 years, but to be on the safe side, maybe I need to have it check-out by my yearly contract house service review. I never realized there was a difference.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Redneck Teepee » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:35 am

lrrowe wrote:When I saw the comments about the quick disconnect not being acceptable for high pressure connections, I got worried as my professional gas line installer gave me one for my outside grill directly from the 500 gal in ground house propane tank. I do have an on-off switch right before it though. It has been there for 10 years, but to be on the safe side, maybe I need to have it check-out by my yearly contract house service review. I never realized there was a difference.

If your connection is downstream of your house tank regulator it is more than likely low pressure, meaning 7 to 11 inches of water column.... 27.7 inches of water column equals 1 P.S.I at sea level. There are variable's but that is the norm, your regulator should have a tag that tells the range of water column on it.
Your best bet is like you said have the pro's check it out :thumbsup:
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:43 am

lrrowe wrote:When I saw the comments about the quick disconnect not being acceptable for high pressure connections, I got worried as my professional gas line installer gave me one for my outside grill directly from the 500 gal in ground house propane tank. I do have an on-off switch right before it though. It has been there for 10 years, but to be on the safe side, maybe I need to have it check-out by my yearly contract house service review. I never realized there was a difference.

Typically most gas grill runs at house/residential pressures (1/3 to 1/2 PSI) Turkey fries and such are a bit different as the can go up to maybe 15 psi....... Betting there is regulator at tank to drop pressure to safe levels... Check it out... Do not think any gas installer would run from tank to grill with no regulation....

Walk out to your tank and look to see if you have something like this at your tank...

maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg (37.25 KiB) Viewed 5138 times

Dale
Last edited by Dale M. on Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby lrrowe » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:09 am

Thanks guys.
I will check out the tank.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:17 pm

Re: high pressure propane QD... there could also be a difference between Canada and the USA. Separate countries, lots of different rules. I don't know for sure, just mentioing the possibility.

Re: home propane. There are a variety of propane regulators. At the large storage tank there could be a high pressure regulator that is red in color (10 psi pressure). If there is a HP red at the tank there will be a second regulator at the house. This will be usually be a brown color (1/2 psi or 11" WC). Sometimes this one might be blue (5 psi) with additional regulators within to drop down to the 11" WC. It is possible to have a integral 2 stage regulator but unusual for home propane systems. Running the higher pressure from tank to home reduces the required pipe size and saves money.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Dale M. » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:21 pm

Made a inquiry to MR HEATER about some of their QD fittings....

This was the question...
"Questions/Comments : Recently on a teardrop travel trailer site it was mentioned that the quick connect/disconnects for propane are not pressure rated above standard 1/3 to 1/2 PSI ( 7-13 IW).... Some are advocating using the disconnect on camp stoves and various other propane power devices at camp sites. ..

The quick connects in question are F276190, F276187 and F276330.. and the like...

The question is what is maximum working pressure (psi) of the quick connects and why is it not not stated in product descriptions on "retail sales" pages...
"

The was the response from tech support....

"The F276190 is certified at 250 P.S.I, the F276187 is certified at 1/2 P.S.I low pressure and the F276330 is certified at 250 P.S.I and the information is listed in our catalog with description and P.S.I. I'm not sure if it was just their website and they need to update their information. If you have any furhter questions please feel free to contact me!"

[email protected]

So even "face to face" with "expert" is not always accurate....

Dale

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby lrrowe » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:54 pm

Dale M. wrote:

Typically most gas grill runs at house/residential pressures (1/3 to 1/2 PSI) Turkey fries and such are a bit different as the can go up to maybe 15 psi....... Betting there is regulator at tank to drop pressure to safe levels... Check it out... Do not think any gas installer would run from tank to grill with no regulation....

Walk out to your tank and look to see if you have something like this at your tank...

maxresdefault.jpg

Dale

Dale, I could not get your photo to post in this reply.
I have what appears to be a regulator in my system. 500 gal in ground propane tank. So I guess I am ok.
Bob

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:22 am

Yes you do have a regulator, all is good....

Dale

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby lrrowe » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:11 pm

Dale M. wrote:Yes you do have a regulator, all is good....

Dale

:D :thumbsup:
Bob

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:46 am

A non-ma and pa business installed the tank when the house was built. A private, licensed contractor installed my grill piping off of the original plumbing contractor's set up.
The grill has worked very well now for over 3 or 4 years, so I would say I have the correct set-up. But the first chance I get to talk to someone at the propane company, I will ask questions. BTW, the tank is leased which means I never paid for it directly and it does not belong to me. I am sure I am paying for it over time in the propane price.
Bob

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets