How do you display the latest topic at the top of the list?

Threads about the forum, forum software, forum features, etc

How do you display the latest topic at the top of the list?

Postby tdhcsc » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:58 pm

I just posted a question in the 'electrical secrets' board. When I posted I thought my post would be at the top of the list as it was just posted but it's not. It's about 15th on the list. I've played around with display options, etc. but nothing I do changes the order.

So,,, how do I get posts to show up cronologically with the newest post first on the list?

Dan,,, AKA tdhcsc
We're X long distance sailboat cruisers logging more than 25,000 miles under the keel. After 13 years the 24/7 routine became just too much. On multi day passages someone always had to be in the cockpit and we took 3 hour watches. Even at anchor we had to be ready to head to sea even if it was 3AM. We miss it but using our experience of 'self accountability' the Jeep/teardrop idea appealed to us. Our idea is to camp mostly in the California dessert (we had the Vistabule teardrop set up for off-roading) and play in the dirt with the Jeep Rubicon.

It's all new but fun!
tdhcsc
Teardrop Inspector

Re: How do you display the latest topic at the top of the li

Postby lrrowe » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:10 pm

I use the "unread" link.
For my own posts, I use the "view your posts" link. This process works fine for me.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:36 pm

There are basically 3 types of posts for a forum. "Standard Posts", "Stickies", and "Announcements". Stickies are like standard posts, but an admin or moderator decided that there was enough solid information contained in them to make them a "sticky", or rather stick them to the top of the forum. On this forum, Announcements get their own section heading, and stickies get grouped together at the top of the standard posts. So any new topics will be listed just below the grouping of stickies. Other sites often have the stickies in their own section heading, similar to announcements.

To tell a sticky from a standard post, look at the icon. Stickies look like little light bulbs.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Re: How do you display --- Thanks

Postby tdhcsc » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:41 pm

I just thought that if it was at the top of the list and worked it's way down as new posts (topics) were added it would make it easier for others to respond to a newly posted topic.

As it is now, I think it's more difficult to respond to a new post.

Your idea of using the 'unread' link is probably the best way given that the board won't put the newest topics first by default. I would think that there would be a default setting for that. :roll:

Thanks,

Dan, tdhcsc
We're X long distance sailboat cruisers logging more than 25,000 miles under the keel. After 13 years the 24/7 routine became just too much. On multi day passages someone always had to be in the cockpit and we took 3 hour watches. Even at anchor we had to be ready to head to sea even if it was 3AM. We miss it but using our experience of 'self accountability' the Jeep/teardrop idea appealed to us. Our idea is to camp mostly in the California dessert (we had the Vistabule teardrop set up for off-roading) and play in the dirt with the Jeep Rubicon.

It's all new but fun!
tdhcsc
Teardrop Inspector

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:54 pm

Technically new posts do stay at the "top", but only at the top of the "standard posts". New posts will never be above the stickies, unless they become a sticky. You can also use the "View New Posts" link from the board index.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (33.76 KiB) Viewed 3877 times
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Return to Threads about the forum!