Power outages: unplug your converters/chargers

Anything electric, AC or DC

Power outages: unplug your converters/chargers

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:20 pm

Something many of us rarely think of is power outages. This weekend, California is having 40 mph winds with 60 mph gusts in some areas; and we have been told to expect possible power outages.

We are warned to unplug things during a power outage because, often, when the power comes back on, there is a power surge, which can cause damage to things that are plugged in; or, if too many things are plugged in and restarting at the same time, a power drain, which can also be damaging. Something that might be easy to forget is the converter/charger in the trailer. Having to replace that converter would be both costly and time consuming; and, camping season starts, in earnest, next month, in April. April will be here sooner than you think!

Are any other areas having high winds? ...Oregon? ...Washington?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Re: Power outages: unplug your converters/chargers

Postby lfhoward » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:50 pm

This is good advice. A brief power outage and power surge killed my wifi router this fall, even though it was plugged into a surge protector. Never expected that, but it was expensive to replace.

One of the nice things about having a trailer with its own electrical is the ability to charge cell phones and other important gadgets off the grid. I feel good about having my trailer parked in the yard during a long term power outage, if it ever should come to that.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby les45 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:26 pm

We had a major ice storm two years ago that left us without power for three days. We kept all our cell phones and iPads charged with the teardrop battery. Also used the camping gear for lighting and cooking. You might call that boondock "hamping" (house camping).
les45
500 Club

Postby lrrowe » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:09 pm

I wonder if a whole house surge protector would help? Also my power company (Appalachian Power Co.) is offering a $5 a month whole house insurance policy. I have not read what is really covered in it yet.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:01 pm

We live in an area that has both power outages and lightening strikes and some real power surges. A number of years back I installed a whole house surge protector and each of the more delicate electronics is on its own surge protector and the desk top has a surge protector and an uninterruptible power supply. We have had neighbors who have lot TV's etc. we have not.
In the tear I have a wired in Progressive Industries 30A EMS that protects against surges, low voltage, miss wired pedestal...
http://www.progressiveindustries.net/#!ems-hw30c/cuun
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:51 am

We have occasional brief (less than 30 seconds) and prolonged power outages because of high winds downing fir trees or impaired drivers slamming into power poles.
It's something we've grown accustomed to in this area.
I use the 5 amp Deltran battery tender and never have had any issues from power spikes.
I have a smaller one on my 55 Chevy with no issues from outages.
The office is the only part of the property that has surge protection.
All our other equipment on the property has survived quite well without protection.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Return to Electrical Secrets