7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby flboy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:04 pm

Edit 06/19/2016... I had administration move this back over to the CTC thread from the Build Journal. It seems all the CTC builds are journaled here.
********
I actually started this build thread in the CTC section, but I am moving it over here. The Cargo Trailer Shell is completed at the factory and I pick it up tomorrow (02/27/2016). I'll journal my build here. My goal is to be completed by July. We'll See. I'll Add the links below to my previous build and the start of this thread so you can see the donor trailer I salvaged many of the appliances and parts I will use here.

These are the pics the factory sent me today of the CT I'll pick up tomorrow. I'll post some better pics when I get it home.


Image

Image

Image


Build thread Start:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65137

Previous CTC build:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=50647

YouTube Videos of Finished Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FASF-x9ofMY - Interior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb-pvBbyyBs - Exterior
Last edited by flboy on Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:41 am, edited 7 times in total.
Don (Flboy)

Current Build CTC:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65498
Old CTC Build (sold)
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=50647
YouTube Videos of Finished Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FASF-x9ofMY - Interior
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb-pvBbyyBs - Exterior
User avatar
flboy
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 1911
Images: 375
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby Spotman » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:44 am

Really nice looking CT.
2010 7x14 Arising V-Nose Tandem Axle Cargo Trailer Conversion
2010 Toyota Tundra DC
User avatar
Spotman
500 Club
 
Posts: 595
Images: 221
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Virginia Beach, VA.

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby flboy » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:36 pm

I have it in my back yard now. It was about 9 hours round trip today. I like the way it turned out. A blank canvas to build my toy hauler camper on. Not sure how quickly it will progress.


Image
Last edited by flboy on Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don (Flboy)

Current Build CTC:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65498
Old CTC Build (sold)
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=50647
YouTube Videos of Finished Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FASF-x9ofMY - Interior
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb-pvBbyyBs - Exterior
User avatar
flboy
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 1911
Images: 375
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 6:13 pm
Top

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby flboy » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:57 pm

Spotman wrote:Really nice looking CT.


Thanks!
Don (Flboy)

Current Build CTC:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65498
Old CTC Build (sold)
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=50647
YouTube Videos of Finished Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FASF-x9ofMY - Interior
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb-pvBbyyBs - Exterior
User avatar
flboy
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 1911
Images: 375
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 6:13 pm
Top

Postby flboy » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:33 pm

Duplicate
Last edited by flboy on Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don (Flboy)

Current Build CTC:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65498
Old CTC Build (sold)
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=50647
YouTube Videos of Finished Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FASF-x9ofMY - Interior
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb-pvBbyyBs - Exterior
User avatar
flboy
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 1911
Images: 375
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 6:13 pm
Top

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby flboy » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:39 pm

Made a decision today regarding my electrical design. I am using 400W of Solar and 2 6V 232AH Golf cart batteries along with a 50A converter to charge when plugged in or on generator and an inverter for house AC when boondocking. My 4.3 CF Fridge will run off 110VAC house power and I was going to just have a 1500W Inverter to run everything, but now I think I am going to buy a 300W True Sine Wave inverter for just the fridge and 1000W True sign for everything else. This way I can leave the fridge running 24/7 when camping on the batteries regardless of what else I am doing with the generator or etc.. Also, the fridge is important and I need a backup if the fridge inverter fails. I can always run it off the 1000W inverter with everything else as backup.

Additionally, the standby power and etc. is much lower on the 300W inverter, and that is what will be running when the fridge needs it. The fridge compressor typically only runs 15 minutes or so every hour on a hot day.With This set up, I do not need to leave the larger inverter on when not needed. Another thing I noticed is that the price per watt is real close whether I buy a larger one or two separate ones that equal the same wattage as the larger inverter.

I received my 40A MPPT Solar Charge Controller today. It will handle the 400W and I can expand 100W to 500W total if I decide I want to add another 100W Cell. We'll see if it is needed. I am more likely to need additional battery capacity if anything given we have a lot of sun in Florida and I will use very little power during the day.

Here's a pic of the controller setting on top of the solar panels in my living room. I'll start the build in two weeks. This weekend is my last trip in my old CT Build before it goes on Craigslist. :-) I'll need the cask from it to finish this one off nicely.

Image
Last edited by flboy on Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don (Flboy)

Current Build CTC:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65498
Old CTC Build (sold)
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=50647
YouTube Videos of Finished Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FASF-x9ofMY - Interior
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb-pvBbyyBs - Exterior
User avatar
flboy
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 1911
Images: 375
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 6:13 pm
Top

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby aggie79 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:44 am

Cool!

Do you have a floor plan yet for this build?
Tom (& Linda)
For more on our Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

93503
User avatar
aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member
 
Posts: 4853
Images: 668
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:42 pm
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Top

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby flboy » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:07 pm

aggie79 wrote:Cool!

Do you have a floor plan yet for this build?


I have several! LOL.. Actually, now that I have the cargo trailer in my backyard, I need to finalize them... Alot right now depends on how and where I mount the Black water and Gray water tanks. I'll post up the final once I have it detailed.
Don (Flboy)

Current Build CTC:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65498
Old CTC Build (sold)
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=50647
YouTube Videos of Finished Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FASF-x9ofMY - Interior
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb-pvBbyyBs - Exterior
User avatar
flboy
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 1911
Images: 375
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 6:13 pm
Top

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby aggie79 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:58 pm

Thanks. I'm real interested in a CT conversion but I can't seem to fit what I want in a 7' X 16'. I think what you're building will give me a real good idea of the extra space available on an 18-footer.
Tom (& Linda)
For more on our Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

93503
User avatar
aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member
 
Posts: 4853
Images: 668
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:42 pm
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Top

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby flboy » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:27 am

aggie79 wrote:Thanks. I'm real interested in a CT conversion but I can't seem to fit what I want in a 7' X 16'. I think what you're building will give me a real good idea of the extra space available on an 18-footer.


I see. I should have the floor plan finalized this weekend. Note that I am creating a floor plan around the purpose of being able to put a motorcycle or two in the CT for travel. In fact, one of my design criteria is that I must be able to deploy the loft bed and use the CT with the bikes in the trailer for those times we are on the road and just need to stop for the night and don't want to or can't unload the bike(s). Also, need to be functional at rest stops to use the kitchen area and bathroom.

Those criteria make a big difference in how I'd go about the floor plan.

Are you building a "toy hauler".
Don (Flboy)

Current Build CTC:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65498
Old CTC Build (sold)
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=50647
YouTube Videos of Finished Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FASF-x9ofMY - Interior
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb-pvBbyyBs - Exterior
User avatar
flboy
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 1911
Images: 375
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 6:13 pm
Top

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby Wolfscout » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:02 am

Being able to stop and spend the night with my trailer loaded is why I ordered a 20 footer.
We plan to take a golf cart and a small bass buggy inside. Not exactly sure how it will fit but we have assumed it will all work out. If not, the canoe can always go on top of the truck like we been doing, giving us that much more inside floor space when loaded.

What is the total solar panel wattage you are going with?
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

2016 8X20 Homestead Patriot CTC
CTC 2

'90 6x12 Wells Cargo Trailer Conversion
my 1st build= CTC 1 FB album history.
User avatar
Wolfscout
500 Club
 
Posts: 506
Images: 32
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:01 pm
Location: Newberry, S.C.
Top

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby aggie79 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:39 am

flboy wrote:I should have the floor plan finalized this weekend. Note that I am creating a floor plan around the purpose of being able to put a motorcycle or two in the CT for travel. In fact, one of my design criteria is that I must be able to deploy the loft bed and use the CT with the bikes in the trailer for those times we are on the road and just need to stop for the night and don't want to or can't unload the bike(s). Also, need to be functional at rest stops to use the kitchen area and bathroom.

Those criteria make a big difference in how I'd go about the floor plan.


While I haven't built a CT conversion before, I have been doing "mental exercises" of what all to include and what not to include. I'm hoping to do a one-time build that will be comfortable enough to be away from our home base for 1-2 months at a time (in the future.)

flboy wrote:Are you building a "toy hauler".


No "toys" but we would like to have an indoor place for 2 bikes and possibly 4 bikes (1 "cruiser" and 1 mountain bike for each of us.) I'm not worried so much about securing them at the campsite as I am at stops while in transit.
Tom (& Linda)
For more on our Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

93503
User avatar
aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member
 
Posts: 4853
Images: 668
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:42 pm
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Top

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby flboy » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:16 pm

aggie79 wrote:
flboy wrote:I should have the floor plan finalized this weekend. Note that I am creating a floor plan around the purpose of being able to put a motorcycle or two in the CT for travel. In fact, one of my design criteria is that I must be able to deploy the loft bed and use the CT with the bikes in the trailer for those times we are on the road and just need to stop for the night and don't want to or can't unload the bike(s). Also, need to be functional at rest stops to use the kitchen area and bathroom.

Those criteria make a big difference in how I'd go about the floor plan.


While I haven't built a CT conversion before, I have been doing "mental exercises" of what all to include and what not to include. I'm hoping to do a one-time build that will be comfortable enough to be away from our home base for 1-2 months at a time (in the future.)

flboy wrote:Are you building a "toy hauler".


No "toys" but we would like to have an indoor place for 2 bikes and possibly 4 bikes (1 "cruiser" and 1 mountain bike for each of us.) I'm not worried so much about securing them at the campsite as I am at stops while in transit.

Are you talking about a motorcycle (cruiser ) or just bicycles?
Don (Flboy)

Current Build CTC:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65498
Old CTC Build (sold)
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=50647
YouTube Videos of Finished Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FASF-x9ofMY - Interior
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb-pvBbyyBs - Exterior
User avatar
flboy
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 1911
Images: 375
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 6:13 pm
Top

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby flboy » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:19 pm

Sold my 14*7 CT yesterday at an off road dirt biking event. Glad somebody who appreciates the special purpose build has bought it. Also excited ad I have the funds to buy the remainder of materials I need for this build.
Don (Flboy)

Current Build CTC:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65498
Old CTC Build (sold)
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=50647
YouTube Videos of Finished Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FASF-x9ofMY - Interior
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb-pvBbyyBs - Exterior
User avatar
flboy
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 1911
Images: 375
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 6:13 pm
Top

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby flboy » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:22 pm

Wolfscout wrote:Being able to stop and spend the night with my trailer loaded is why I ordered a 20 footer.
We plan to take a golf cart and a small bass buggy inside. Not exactly sure how it will fit but we have assumed it will all work out. If not, the canoe can always go on top of the truck like we been doing, giving us that much more inside floor space when loaded.

What is the total solar panel wattage you are going with?

I am going with 400 watts and two golf cart batteries and a 1500w pure sine wave inverter. That should be plenty. Can always add more later if not.
Don (Flboy)

Current Build CTC:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65498
Old CTC Build (sold)
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=50647
YouTube Videos of Finished Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FASF-x9ofMY - Interior
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb-pvBbyyBs - Exterior
User avatar
flboy
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 1911
Images: 375
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 6:13 pm
Top

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cal1320, Rainier70 and 6 guests