Car battery as a temporary battery with solar?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Car battery as a temporary battery with solar?

Postby tucked » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:29 pm

Hello,

I have a crude (by some standards) Cargo Trailer Conversion. I have a 100W Renogy kit with a 40A MPPT controller. We are going out of town in a week and I am wanting to get the solar panel hooked up to provide some charge for lighting. For this trip, I will be running a maximum of 4 12V, 2W LED lights. (We will be gone for 5 days). My question is if there is any problem using an existing car battery to get me through this week before I drop a lot on true deep cycle batteries. I don't care about the car battery or any loss of life it causes it, I just want to know if there will be any problems with the solar panel and controller using it.
tucked
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Car battery as a temporary battery with solar?

Postby tony.latham » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:44 pm

I just want to know if there will be any problems with the solar panel and controller using it.

Nope, can't hurt your panel or controller. Enjoy your trip. :pictures:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tucked » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:45 pm

Thank you very much.
tucked
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Kaz » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:46 pm

I've been doing the same thing for years. 100 watt panel and old car batteries. Used car batteries are easy to come by and sometimes you get a good one. Been using the same one for 4 years. Just led lights and a roof fan. I don't care when it dies I'll just grab another one, I just happen to have three more in my shed always on a 100 watt solar charger. I just run them to death and recycle them for 9 bucks at the scrap yard. It ain't much but it's a free breakfast.
Kaz
Kaz
Silver Donating Member

Postby tucked » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:48 pm

Kaz wrote:I've been doing the same thing for years. 100 watt panel and old car batteries. Used car batteries are easy to come by and sometimes you get a good one. Been using the same one for 4 years. Just led lights and a roof fan. I don't care when it dies I'll just grab another one, I just happen to have three more in my shed always on a 100 watt solar charger. I just run them to death and recycle them for 9 bucks at the scrap yard. It ain't much but it's a free breakfast.

Perfect! Thank you!
tucked
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Electrical Secrets