Another Dexter axle question (follow up)

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Another Dexter axle question (follow up)

Postby les45 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:47 am

I just received my new Dexter axle and will be installing it soon. Should I pull the hubs to confirm that they were properly packed at the factory? The sales rep says they are packed and road-ready but Murphy's Law is always there to bite you.
Last edited by les45 on Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
les45
500 Club

Re: Another Dexter axle question (?)

Postby KCStudly » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:22 am

With Dexter, since they came assembled, I would say you are good to go. When I worked at a debris removal equipment manufacturer we used hundreds of factory assembled Dexter axles and I never heard of any problems with them. If you want, pop one of the dust covers off and reassure yourself.

Except for their facility in India, Dexter axles are made in the good ole USofA. All of the talk of repacking brand new bearings surrounds the made in China/shipped in a cardboard box brands.

Anything is possible, some line worker could have had a bad day, or a momentary lapse, but my guess and the odds are you are fine.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Re: Another Dexter axle question (?)

Postby Nobody » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:22 am

Think KC is probably correct on this. Couple of years back I replaced the Dexter axle on my little Starcraft pop-up trailer (PO had 'cobbled' togtether a replacement spindle after towing with bad bearings on that side). The new axle came fully assembled so I asked the sales rep if I needed to worry about the bearings. She said it was 'good to go' but, being the kind of 'worry wart' I am, I popped the dust covers to make sure. It all looked good & I've towed it probably 1500mi since with no problems. Also put a new Dexter #9 on a 13' Scamp with no problems in the bearing/seal department... If they tell you it's OK, I'd say it would be an oddity if not.
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Another Dexter axle question (follow up)

Postby les45 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:16 pm

I finally installed the new axle and took the dust covers off to inspect the bearings. It looks like there is just minimal grease just on the bearing surface. I can see bare metal on the ends of the roller bearings and the edge of the races and no grease extending out beyond the edge of the race. When I pack my bearings I have grease all over everything out to the washer and the back side of the castle nut. Is this drier packing normal? Right now I'm inclined to pull the hubs and repack them myself just to be on the safe side.
les45
500 Club

Re: Another Dexter axle question (follow up)

Postby Redneck Teepee » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:50 pm

I'm with you I like lots of grease. I even fill the void between inner and outer bearings in the hub or idler. I figure if a bearing was to get hot from lack of grease the excess will run in to help cool, plus I run the "Bearing Buddy's" on all my trailers so that area being full will help push grease to the inner bearing and race. You do have to have a method of adding grease with the bearing buddy's if your trailer has brakes, as not to over saturate to the point of pushing grease past your inner seal.

The spindle will displace any and all extra grease not needed when you assemble. I still clean inspect/replace, repack with new grease periodically to avoid out on the road trouble. I have a tandem axle utility trailer that I built over 30 years ago that has seem some pretty rigorous service and never a problem. There is always a first time for everything, but I have never had a bearing problem on a trailer, truck or car :thumbsup:
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets