membrane roofing for trailer?

Finishes, paints and coatings

membrane roofing for trailer?

Postby gene so » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:34 pm

Hello, I have seen a repair to a roof on a large camper, which is working perfectly well, and it seems pretty incredible to me, that I never considered it before. My camper is 66" wide, matching my 4 x 4. Purchasing a suitable skin to withstand brilliant sun and also incredible hails at high altitude produced costs for material, shipping and wasted excess materials that was ridiculous. I was also bothered by long term leakage after spending a fair amount of time in the Pacific Northwest with all its drizzle and moisture.

Why couldn't a camper use the same system as is used with some roofs in our area? An undercoating which is both a sealer and glue could be applied to my plywood/ steel reinforced camper body. Then an attractive one piece membrane that can be contoured over various angle is all applied in one, impervious sheet. Thus leakage is minimized and the whole covering process is done in one process for the front, and the roof. The galley would be a single, separate piece.

This material is meant to face exterior weather permanently. If weight is an issue, it is NOT with me since this small trailer will be admittedly heavy, but still easily pulled behind my 4 x 4. The single problem I can see would be permanent adhesion, especially when a camper is being pulled down the road and the wind pressure might cause delamination.

I am wide open for any other persons' insight as to why this process won't work and will do a very good job. Please let me know. I am in the process of building this camper singly and virtnot ever seeing any of these in my lifetime.
Thanks, Gene So
gene so
Teardrop Advisor

Re: membrane roofing for trailer?

Postby Greg M » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:14 pm

There's a company about an hour away that does that. I'm intrigued by it.
http://www.seichemicalcanada.com/rv-roof
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby Colemancooler » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:54 pm

I used a strip of this to seal moisture out of my galley hinge. 3 years in the weather, and so far so good. I have the same membrane on my patio, and love it, very cool stuff as roofing they claim 20 year roof life, i would expect more. Only failures i see on commercial buildings is from sharp objects piercing the membrane
Colemancooler
Teardrop Master

Postby Kaz » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:18 pm

I used commercial type TPO white membrane on my build. Tough as nails not much sticks to it so be care full and get the right glue.
Kaz
Kaz
Silver Donating Member

Postby Jados » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:19 pm

Kaz wrote:I used commercial type TPO white membrane on my build. Tough as nails not much sticks to it so be care full and get the right glue.

What glue did you use for this?
Jados
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Andrew Herrick » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:31 pm

While I admittedly haven't installed any myself, my understanding is that most of the conventional RV roofing membranes - TPO, PVC, and EPDM - will certainly work as roofing membranes on a teardrop camper. I suspect they haven't caught on because 1) they don't sport retro appeal, 2) they are difficult in some places to purchase by-the-foot, 3) many cleaners aren't cross-compatible between aluminum and the common membranes, and 3) most people intuitively trust metal more than plastics? Anyways, I say go for it. You won't be the only one. Casual Turtle campers uses a white PVC membrane on its roofs, I think. Whatever membrane you choose, you might consider lathering on a protectant, such as RV Armor. Again, I haven't used, but I've heard good things.
Last edited by Andrew Herrick on Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby Jados » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:45 pm

Jados wrote:
Kaz wrote:I used commercial type TPO white membrane on my build. Tough as nails not much sticks to it so be care full and get the right glue.

What glue did you use for this?

The place I got it from recommended that I use “Dicor Corp. 901BA”, I found it on eBay for about $60. It sticks really well to the TPO! But it also sticks to anything else that touches it so be careful.
Jados
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Skinning secrets