Bosses from a to z

Anything electric, AC or DC

Bosses from a to z

Postby gene so » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:09 pm

Hello, This week I will finish up all the electrical lines that work the turn and brake signals and also activate the brakes and also turn on clear lights when in reverse so I can actually see something when I back up at night.
I will be advancing into the ac/dc wiring and note in my trendlines unit the 12v system has positive connections and I am told I need busses to provide the negative wires for these electrical lights etc. I plan to attach the busses through the floor to a drilled and tapped screw into the steel tubular frame. I do know about the grease that helps conduct the elctricity and reduces rusting. I do not know about busses. What are the best busses for the rough abuse of a camper for 4 season camping? For instance I will have about 35 different things to be hooked up. Does that mean I need a total of 35 busses in some type of manifold arrangement? Thanks to good fortune I have plenty of wire. I will be having tv, microwave, refrigerator etc. This might wander into the stupid category. if a light is wired to be 120v, would it work if it is attached to a 12 v system?
Thank you in advance,

Gene So
gene so
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Bosses from a to z

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:05 pm

Gene
Nothing needs to or should be grounded to the frame. Every component should have a ground wire and that is what goes to the bus and that except for things like brakes or trailer lights need to deal with weather and those can be sealed. When we see trailer light failures it is often wires grounded to the frame that have corroded.
It is however dielectric grease which protects but is non conductive, and yes I do use it.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Re: Bosses from a to z

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:24 pm

if a light is wired to be 120v, would it work if it is attached to a 12 v system?

In a word, no.

You will need 12 VDC lights, LEDs are best, if you want to run directly off a battery.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets